to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Are next generation games too big?

Your comments on our articles.

50-60 GB versus a 500 GB hard drive. Ulp.

The bigger they come, the harder they fall... and the longer they take to download and install. Greetings and salutations unto you, bold adventurer. I've just returned from a tour of Amazon Land, which is now home to a prosperous little tribe of forthcoming Xbox One titles. Among their number you'll find NBA 2K14, a launch game that will also be available on Xbox 360. It won't be quite the same game on Xbox 360, of course. For starters, it'll be about a sixth the size.... read more

Postby NBA Kirkland » 16 Oct 2013, 18:24

I find it hard to believe the Xbox One version could be 6 times larger. Perhaps the 60 GB is like a place-holder or "worse case scenario" because they don't know at this point. Kind of like how they said the Xbox One launch date was Nov. 30th before they new. Also you said "baseball players" when you meant basketball players. :)
NBA Kirkland 26

Postby Decent_Jam » 16 Oct 2013, 18:25

It does seem shortsighted to only allow 500gb when terabyte drives are virtually the norm on new laptops these days - even solid state drives in some areas. It makes me wonder if they did it purely for cost reasons, if so that seems like a poor compromise.

I would hope that how cheap external drives are at the moment will only go further, but for some people it will never be enough.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Re: Are next generation games too big?

Postby Grummy » 16 Oct 2013, 18:31

I never play 10 games at a time anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all. I'll keep Battlefield and Fifa on there and the others will depend on what I'm playing at the time, but it sure as hell won't be 8 games at once, oh, and once it turns up Elder Scrolls Online will be on there as well and maybe an NBA game if I feel like it. So possibly 4 of 10ish games will be on there long term. However, I won't still have AC4 installed by the time Watchdogs is released for example, so for games like that, ones that I tend to just play through once or twice, they won't take up much room at all and they'll be interchangeable at most I'll have 2 or 3 on the go at once, but that's very rare for me nowadays, I usually just work on one main game at a time.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 16 Oct 2013, 18:47

Just because a dual layer Blu-ray can hold 50GB doesn't mean all games will be that size. There've been very few PS3 games that need a dual layer disc, MGS4 and Uncharted 3 are two I know of. Video cutscenes are the worst cause of bloat, and they're generally frowned upon these days in favour of in-engine cutscenes.

Moving from mostly 720p to mostly 1080p will increase the size of games a bit, but not to any huge extent. 10-20GB should be the norm, at least to start with.

With digital game ownership being account based and discs being an excellent storage medium, I don't really see too much of a problem. You can always delete and re-download/re-install games. A bigger hard drive would be better, and not having them be replaceable is a pretty stupid idea, but it's just a bit awkward rather than a huge failing.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Bezza89 » 16 Oct 2013, 18:53

I don't get the headline problem even if you were a moron who keeps all their games installed and plays everyone of them all the time, the xbox 360 released with 20gb HDD, that's not even 3 games capacity (assuming 6.5gb and the old os reserved). Sure you could argue we didn't even have installing back then.

If you are one of these morons, buy a bigger HDD to plug in, they're dirt cheap (Disclaimer, based on low value dirt).
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby fishclaws » 16 Oct 2013, 19:08

Really struggling to find reasons to buy next gen at the moment - the price of £430 is crazy - games at £55 are mental - and controllers at £45 are insane - WHATS GOING ON!!!!!!!!
Also if theres so much "cloud power" (trumpet blast) - why do we need massive installs?

Ah i feel so much better now
when the sun shines - i feel the urge to eat apples
fishclaws 37

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Oct 2013, 19:16

From everything said by MS the installation can be happening whilst you start to play, unlike now you dot need to wait for it to finish first. With that in mind does it really matter if you uninstall your game as soon as you finish and reinstall it if you want to play it again? How many people have more than two or three games on the go at once?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby mackered » 16 Oct 2013, 19:29

Some bluray 1080p movies can take up most of the disk (about 50gb - aka the last lord rings film over 40gb)as opposed to a dvd of about 5gb. That's 10 times the size. In THEORY therefore, a game could be up to 50gb ish ( if like max payne3 for instance with cutscenes every 5 seconds). But frame for frame, I think 720p to 1080p is about 2.5 times but I could be wrong.

Better audio wouldn't add much overall.

I mean current gen can be 12gb as we have just seen with GTA so it wouldn't surprise me. They have already said that the box WILL support ext hd (but not when).......

Downloads going to be a bit of a b.....er then! Even though you can play while it's going on.

Forza will be a good marker I suppose as it is supposed to be pretty good graphically so we shall soon see.
Last edited by mackered on 16 Oct 2013, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Guess they don't like random people coming knocking on their doors. Also, when your partner says "correct me if I'm wrong" would you?
mackered 58

Postby Aphex UK » 16 Oct 2013, 19:30

I've still got the original "premium" 20gb HDD that i got with my 360 in November 2005. all that's available to use on that is about 13gb for saves/installs/downloads! That was okay in 2006 but now I have most of my game saves on the cloud and I still struggle to install 2 games which gets annoying with mandatory installs. if they follow that line then there'll only be 375gb available to use on this. hopefully that won't be the case but given cost and relative future-proofing surely Tb drives are the way forward.. IMO

P.S. Yes I know i can plug in external drives :)
Aphex UK 41

Postby ipsofacto » 16 Oct 2013, 20:07

Would be cool if the cloud could hold onto installs you're not using and you could switch them in and out. Don't know how possible that is, probably not very...
It's a non-issue anyway. I never have that many games on the go. Could be for some people at launch, who are going mental and getting all the launch titles, but otherwise can't see it being a problem. When most of us get 10 games in our arsenal, I imagine they'll have the external HDDs working.
ipsofacto 46

Postby Rnald » 16 Oct 2013, 20:08

As long as external drives are easy to come by, I'm not too bothered here. I'm unlikely to need many games installed. Although personally even as someone who now has a broken disc reader on his 360, I wish they'd just let us use the discs and not install them if we want.

Also the image in this article is from NBA LIVE 14 rather than NBA 2K14 just so you know. :P
Rnald 39

Postby Bezza89 » 16 Oct 2013, 20:10

mackered wrote:Some bluray 1080p movies can take up most of the disk (about 50gb) as opposed to a dvd of about 5gb. That's 10 times the size. In THEORY therefore, a game could be up to 50gb ish ( if like max payne3 for instance with cutscenes every 5 seconds).

MP3 is a mere 30GB on PC, which displays in what some elitists would call 'better than next gen'. Considering most games nowadays are no more than 15gb on average (your two discers and pc anyway, which is as said the guiding stones for next gen sizes) I just can't see many games being full capacity. Some for the stigma of it (is that a thing, having the stigma of it?), the playground boasting oh I filled the bluray with all of my crap game I made compared to the excellent but modest 20gb game that has 2% less fidelity on the sweat of the protagonists ball sack.

Maybe a game will actually fill it with cutscenes, MGS was bloody pushing it for 720p, imagine 1080p with the amount of cutscenes? I'm not sure if it would matter or what, as I think of it the cutscenes are the meat of the size, the game world and textures are very small. I wish they'd put better quality sound in though. Anyway. Skyrim. 3.5gb.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Neil H » 16 Oct 2013, 20:36

To think the 360 only launched with 20GB, seem's crazy now :?
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby fedris the red » 16 Oct 2013, 20:59

Neil H wrote:To think the 360 only launched with 20GB, seem's crazy now :?

The first PC I played games on had a 10MB hard drive...
fedris the red 18

Postby mackered » 16 Oct 2013, 21:19

fedris the red wrote:
The first PC I played games on had a 10MB hard drive...

You don't remember tape then? Or pcs with floppy drives?
Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Guess they don't like random people coming knocking on their doors. Also, when your partner says "correct me if I'm wrong" would you?
mackered 58

Next