to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Watch Dogs delay will damage Xbox One and PS4 sales, suggest

Your comments on our articles.

"But absolutely it's the right decision if there's something glitchy."

We don't normally report on analyst commentary round these parts, but I thought the below was interesting: IDC's videogame research manager Lewis Ward has suggested to the BBC that the delayed release of much-hyped open worlder Watch Dogs will take a bite out of next generation console sales.... read more

Watch Dogs delay will damage Xbox One and PS4 sales, suggest

Postby bamozzy » 17 Oct 2013, 10:24

A delayed game will NOT damage the sales of the next gen at all. At its worst, all it will do is delay the sale of a few consoles!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Suffering withdrawal symptoms now the Destiny Beta has finished..... September 9th can't come quick enough!!!
bamozzy 64

Re: Watch Dogs delay will damage Xbox One and PS4 sales, sug

Postby delpoi » 17 Oct 2013, 10:32

When i read the story on the BBC news i laughed at the end of the day I've still got my day one edition preordered one game does not define a console apart from that Forza,Ryse,Deadrising and Battlefield I'll have plenty of games to keep me occupied :mrgreen:
delpoi 40

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Oct 2013, 10:35

You both say that but you only need to look at the responses on the delay announcement to see there are a lot of people that were only interested in Watch Dogs and are now delaying their purchase. Delay that purchase by 6 months and something else may come up that means they never purchase. I can easily see how the delay of one game (and don't forget its a very high profile game that at the first reveal was described by some journalists as defining the next gen) would have a big knock on effect.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby delpoi » 17 Oct 2013, 10:56

CunningSmile wrote:You both say that but you only need to look at the responses on the delay announcement to see there are a lot of people that were only interested in Watch Dogs and are now delaying their purchase. Delay that purchase by 6 months and something else may come up that means they never purchase. I can easily see how the delay of one game (and don't forget its a very high profile game that at the first reveal was described by some journalists as defining the next gen) would have a big knock on effect.

I do understand that, don't get me wrong I was really looking forward to Watchdogs but there are so many other games coming out it will effect some people wanting to buy it but i don't think that many it will mostly be ps players as they were the ones doing the bundles with it but got plenty of games to keep me busy till next year :)
delpoi 40

Postby Blackie252 » 17 Oct 2013, 11:03

It was the only game I pre ordered with my One, Now I have to re think what I will get now. At least I have the GAME lock in next week to help me look at Ryse, but failing that Battlefield 4 will be getting a purchase!

I am certainly NOT going to cancel my order though!
Blackie252 19

Postby Thos. » 17 Oct 2013, 11:04

I was surprised to read a significant number of people in different places saying they were cancelling their pre-orders based on this news. Of course it's really easy to just type words, so who's to siaoi awdinkadf a kjkjads kdk as dpksdikeikefnnds
Last edited by Thos. on 17 Oct 2013, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Thos. 45

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Oct 2013, 11:05

Thos. wrote:I was surprised to read a significant number of people saying they were cancelling their pre-orders based on this news. Of course it's really easy to just type words, so who's to siaoi awdinkadf a kjkjads kdk as dpksdikeikefnnds

You can say that again
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 17 Oct 2013, 11:06

CunningSmile wrote:
Thos. wrote:I was surprised to read a significant number of people saying they were cancelling their pre-orders based on this news. Of course it's really easy to just type words, so who's to siaoi awdinkadf a kjkjads kdk as dpksdikeikefnnds

You can say that again

I was teeing it up for "Apparently not so easy", but that works too ;)
Thos. 45

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Oct 2013, 11:15

I to admit that I was already pretty ambivalent with regard to the games that were available upon release of the One, and was considering cancelling my Day One Edition anyway. The fact that this game (which for me was one of the key releases at the start of the next generation) has been delayed does mean that I am exceptionally likely to now cancel my pre-order. Watch Dogs was, for me, the reason to take a chance on a new product and the teething problems that will undoubtedly surface. I can wait 6 months and that will also enable me to see what gives with the new Steam machine, plus how the One fairs in comparison to the PS4 (which I also have on pre-order and which I may also now cancel!).
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby stylon » 17 Oct 2013, 13:09

I feel sorry for people waiting for their PS4's if the current rumour that Drive Club is getting delayed until next year turns out to be true...

Watch Dogs being delayed is a big disappointment to me but the game I'm most hyped for is Forza (bagged an official Forza bundle) so my pre-order is rock-solid.
stylon 55

Postby battfink83 » 17 Oct 2013, 13:31

Its a little sad these days, the reliance on pre orders to measure success. Im sure 99% Of those canceled xboxone pre oorders will still result in a purchase eventually. If a person is not really bothered about xbox one but is about watchdog's, surely they would just save 429 smackeroonies and get it on 360
battfink83 51

Postby TronZler » 17 Oct 2013, 13:38

Oooh,Driveclub delayed too ya say? Didn't know that!
I originally thought both WatchDogs an The Crew were being put back as both consoles has racing games at launch,and at this time of year,especially with GTA as well,we kinda get saturated a little with open world games. I wouldn't be surprised either,if the quality of GTA (single player anyway) blew Ubisoft away a bit,and with WatchDogs being touted as next gen,thought they could do better.

For me,taking away an open world game thats a must buy out of the equation right now,aint such a bad thing. I'm still plugging away at single player on GTA even though the storys finished,still finding new Stranger an Freaks missions to do now i have the money to buy most places. Popped into online on it last night though,a tad dissapointed every single game needs at least 2 players,lone wolfs are a dying breed. Hopefully WatchDogs won't have that issue as its about being a single antagonist,if thats the right word?
But yeah,theres AC4 to come,which will have to wait for me ever playing it,as i'll be playing Batman right then. Plus i'll have new One games to play,DR3,Ryse,B4 etc,so i don't really see where i would've found the time to enjoy WatchDogs,like i am GTA.

That being said,i can certainly understand peoples dissapointment,its all down to your own personal gaming priorities in a way. Though,i'd say as Sony were doing a bundle with it,it probably would hurt them more,if at all.!?
TronZler 23

Postby captainhetty » 17 Oct 2013, 13:46

I should imagine the amount of people willing to cancel over this is minimal at best. And the pre-orders that are cancelled are almost certain to be filled again before release, so I can't see we'll see a massive damage to sales, if any.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 58

Postby Faroutdude » 17 Oct 2013, 14:15

I was going to get Watch Dogs day one, Still getting the Xbox One (no matter what), one game being delayed is not going to make me cancel my pre-order. But the fact that Watch Dogs will be coming out at around the time of Destiny and Titanfall means I probably won't buy Watch Dogs at all any more!
It's only Ubisoft that are going to be hurt by the delay not next gen console manufacturers
Xbox One Day One
Faroutdude 11

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 17 Oct 2013, 14:33

OXM ETboy wrote: Are you planning to postpone your next gen console purchase in light of this week's news?
I will be postponing my purchase of the One due to this news.

As the quote shown below confirms, I mentioned back in June that ubisoft had a good next-gen set of titles.
Vulgar Plebeian wrote:Of the next generation games that I would buy, most come from Ubisoft.
I thought Watch Dogs would take my through to Spring 2014 - along with Skyrim and Rocksmith 2014 on the 360 - when a slew of new Xbox One games make their appearance.

I have never really enjoyed driving games, I lost interest in Assassin's Creed after Revelations and have reservations about the endurance of Ryse. So as I posted in another article;
Vulgar Plebeian wrote:I shall give it some serious thought over the next week but I am more interested in titles such as Destiny, The Division, Titanfall and obviously Watch Dogs. It might well be the best choice to wait until 2014. I will definitely be getting the One at some point in time - only a matter of exactly when.
Vulgar Plebeian 47

Next