to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Many Call of Duty players "aren't hardcore gamers, or even g

Your comments on our articles.

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say," muses Mark Rubin

Every year, Activision releases another Call of Duty game, and every year, comments threads and forums overflow with contempt for that game, and every year, that game somehow manages to sell tens of millions of copies regardless. How to explain this phenomenon? Infinity Ward's executive producer Mark Rubin suspects it has something to do with the huge proportion of consumers for whom Call of Duty simply is gaming, the one and only title they feel obliged to play.... read more

Postby danhalen74 » 17 Oct 2013, 11:23

ah i know its fashionable to slag it off, and gawd knows i agree with a lot of the COD criticisms but i love playing this with buddies, and its always the one game about 75% of my friends list picks up. in fact a number of my list i met via this very forum. i'll enjoy it for a couple of months until the 20 hour a day crowd ruin it... i tried to get into BF3 but a) not many people i know played it and b) when i did play it the maps seemed too big for the number of players. Just an observation, i may have it wrong as i didn't play it much. dedicated servers hopefully will mean we wont suffer blops2's horrendous lag. bring it on!
I play video games, ride motorbikes and sing the blues.

facebook.com/BVgrooves
facebook.com/danhalen74
@danhalen74
danhalen7@hotmail.com
danhalen74 48

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Oct 2013, 11:23

wonder if they'll ever admit that their fanbase consists of a huge number of people who legally shouldn't be playing their game?
I still think they should just remove the blood and pointless torture scenes and stick a 12 rating on the box, rather than all this pointless gritty violence and 'realism' they've been adding in since WaW (especially when you consider the multiplayer barely has blood)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Many Call of Duty players "aren't hardcore gamers, or ev

Postby danhalen74 » 17 Oct 2013, 11:31

good point about the age thing, i have to have my mic off when playing with/against xXdickhead12yearoldXx ;-) ewww they're horrendous and far too good at the old quickscoping thing. wonder if IW will nerf that this year? it pretty much shagged MW3 as a playable game
I play video games, ride motorbikes and sing the blues.

facebook.com/BVgrooves
facebook.com/danhalen74
@danhalen74
danhalen7@hotmail.com
danhalen74 48

Postby EdDeRs1 » 17 Oct 2013, 11:50

Metalrodent wrote:wonder if they'll ever admit that their fanbase consists of a huge number of people who legally shouldn't be playing their game?
I still think they should just remove the blood and pointless torture scenes and stick a 12 rating on the box, rather than all this pointless gritty violence and 'realism' they've been adding in since WaW (especially when you consider the multiplayer barely has blood)

hell WaW had a 15 rating, it's been since they decided to do controversial for the sake of controversial since MW2
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby CrueLATOM » 17 Oct 2013, 12:06

Funny the way they're saying many CoD Players arent even Hardcore Gamers. Well that's abit obvious, how many people play CoD? Obviously many people are not going to be Hardcore Gamers or even proper Gamers anyway, but the majority of people are proper Gamers. Whoever said they should get rid of blood and random torture scenes and stick a 12 Rating on the Game is silly. The game includes these things to make the game more fun and exciting or interesting and realistic. The game should be a 16 though as you can join the army at 16 and see Real Violence, Blood and Gore. It's annoying when you get little random squeekers who are proper brats and even swear everywere. Like really? I hardly ever swear and I never swear in my house because it's kinda disrespectfull to my mum and im 17! I havent been playing CoD much lately, just been playing MC: X360 ED just messing around on it. Cant wait for CoD: Ghosts though, I pre-ordered it from Game. CoD is my fave Online Game, I do prefer it over BF3, I do love Battlefields Graphics but it doesnt give you that nice feeling Call of Duty delivers, also CoD is more fast paced. QuickScoping on Battlefield is more of a Challenge tho, Ive had afew amazing shots on it, even some on accident. I wish I didnt have this problem were my finger keeps runnin on this Xbox Chat Pad. Me mate laughs at me and says I always write paragraphs in messages. Whoops. ;D
CrueLATOM 3

Postby Nero Creed » 17 Oct 2013, 12:20

Metalrodent wrote:wonder if they'll ever admit that their fanbase consists of a huge number of people who legally shouldn't be playing their game?

Metalrodent: CoD has too many kids and they don't play "normal" Like running round using XM25's Or using their mics for insults.

I feel sorry for CoD a bit, They are really trying to make a great game this year. (MW 1/2/3 Multiplayer was just DLC really nothing new) But with the new maps, Removing camping and quick scoping. It looks like they are trying to make a wargame and not something for kids. Of course kids will buy it and find a way to ruin the multiplayer. It's why i like the Squad mode so much.

danhalen74: Quick Scoping has been removed from Ghosts or changed to make it different. Snipers will more realistic having their own class.
Nero Creed 24

Postby Thos. » 17 Oct 2013, 12:27

It depends on your definition of 'hardcore'.

If going purely on sales figures then it does mean that there are more people playing just this game only, rather than a broad range of titles. But then if a large number of games played is the only criteria of 'hardcore', someone who only ever played, say, Dwarf Fortress would be considered a casual gamer.

And anyone who's tried to play that would know you need to be pretty bloody dedicated to get anywhere with that game.

To put it another way, is a chess Grand Master a 'casual' gamer?
Thos. 46

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Oct 2013, 12:40

Nero Creed wrote:

Metalrodent: CoD has too many kids and they don't play "normal" Like running round using XM25's Or using their mics for insults.

um yes, may I ask how that is in anyway relevant to what I said? :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Oct 2013, 12:43

But then would it be cool to play it? :P
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Oct 2013, 12:47

Thos. wrote:It depends on your definition of 'hardcore'.

There is only one definition which is the literal meaning, hard in the core. So something similar to a daim bar or the anti-armadillo.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Nero Creed » 17 Oct 2013, 12:55

Nero Creed wrote:
Metalrodent wrote:Metalrodent: CoD has too many kids and they don't play "normal" Like running round using XM25's Or using their mics for insults.

um yes, may I ask how that is in anyway relevant to what I said? :lol:

I was saying no matter how much they try to make it a great FPS game that appeals to adults, Kids will always buy it and ruin the game. And their fanbase is defined as raging kids and how it looked like they wanted to change their fanbase(Or Change the way people play)... I qouted you because my comment was related to yours(Their Fanbase) and not a reply. :)
Nero Creed 24

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Oct 2013, 13:03

Frankly I hate the whole concept of casual gamers. It's lazy and disrespectful, after all how hard is to make a proper effort and wear black tie when gaming?! People have no standards anymore
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 17 Oct 2013, 14:35

FishyGinger wrote:
Thos. wrote:It depends on your definition of 'hardcore'.

There is only one definition which is the literal meaning, hard in the core. So something similar to a daim bar or the anti-armadillo.

I started reading that sentence thinking 'where the hell is he going with this' and ended it shaking my head and giggling.
Thos. 46

Postby Thos. » 17 Oct 2013, 14:43

Nero Creed wrote:
I was saying no matter how much they try to make it a great FPS game that appeals to adults, Kids will always buy it and ruin the game. And their fanbase is defined as raging kids and how it looked like they wanted to change their fanbase(Or Change the way people play)... I qouted you because my comment was related to yours(Their Fanbase) and not a reply. :)

An interesting point here:

I used to play Myth, a strategy game where you moved individual fantasy-type units and fought other armies. You really had to think about what you were doing, and use strategy, flanking and position on the map. They had various gametypes and one of them gave each player a bloody great giant wolf who threw exploding heads. It was rubbish, you just ran around blasting each other. I never, ever played it. And it was my favourite gametype. Know why? Because all the annoying kids who just wanted to arse around played it. It was absolutely perfect.

Imagine the worst possible gametype on CoD - infinite jets or tanks that fire like machine guns. Something you would hate to play. It would be a magnet, nay a goddamn hoover for all the annoying whiny online fools, while anyone trying to play a more considered, serious game can just get on in peace (although in possibly the loosest definition of 'peace' ever used).
Thos. 46

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 17 Oct 2013, 16:44

Thos. wrote:
Nero Creed wrote:

An interesting point here:

I used to play Myth, a strategy game where you moved individual fantasy-type units and fought other armies. You really had to think about what you were doing, and use strategy, flanking and position on the map. They had various gametypes and one of them gave each player a bloody great giant wolf who threw exploding heads. It was rubbish, you just ran around blasting each other. I never, ever played it. And it was my favourite gametype. Know why? Because all the annoying kids who just wanted to arse around played it. It was absolutely perfect.

Imagine the worst possible gametype on CoD - infinite jets or tanks that fire like machine guns. Something you would hate to play. It would be a magnet, nay a goddamn hoover for all the annoying whiny online fools, while anyone trying to play a more considered, serious game can just get on in peace (although in possibly the loosest definition of 'peace' ever used).

Hmmm. Interesting.

But CoD works like that as a whole, keeping all the other games clear of conkerbrains, so yeah. i like what you say, though, I do.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Next