to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft extends free Xbox Games with Gold program indefini

Your comments on our articles.

Program will be "an ongoing benefit for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360"

Good news, penny pinchers! Microsoft has announced that it will continue to give out two free Xbox 360 games to Xbox Gold subscribers each month after the end of the year, following an "overwhelming response" from community members.... read more

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 18 Oct 2013, 10:02

97% of gamers? Hmm, not sure i ever saw a survey myself. Free games are never a bad thing but i would not say i have given my stamp of approval by any means and i'm sure 97% of people haven't either.
Part of the 4RUMGaming community
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby ItchyRash » 18 Oct 2013, 10:06

Excellent news. Although my current to do list is really stacking up. If there's at least one game a month added to that for the foreseeable future then Microsoft might be some way away from getting my Xbox One money. Could be this time next year at this rate.

I'm also wondering how long it'll be until the 3 camps show up.

Camp 1) Games for Gold haterz
Camp 2) Haterz of Game for Gold Haterz - my previous camp
Camp 3) Haterz of Camps 1 and 2 - my current camp
ItchyRash 43

Re: Microsoft extends free Xbox Games with Gold program inde

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Oct 2013, 10:23

ImTehBAwsss wrote:97% of gamers? Hmm, not sure i ever saw a survey myself. Free games are never a bad thing but i would not say i have given my stamp of approval by any means and i'm sure 97% of people haven't either.

About two months back one of the XBL Rewards questionairres asked about Games for Gold. The question was worded in such a way I'm surprised it was only 97%; rather than ask about the programme itself and the games we had received it was more along the lines of "Would you like to be given free games?" So do the 3% not like free games?

I'm just excited that for the foreseeable future I can read the same rewarmed debate about GoG v PS+ every two weeks :lol:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 18 Oct 2013, 10:30

ImTehBAwsss wrote:97% of gamers? Hmm, not sure i ever saw a survey myself. Free games are never a bad thing but i would not say i have given my stamp of approval by any means and i'm sure 97% of people haven't either.

It meant 97% of those surveyed.

But that is only as good as a the question asked, of course.

EDIT: oooops see that Cunning beat me to the punch.
I think the people in the flat above me are having sex...
Either that or they're sleeping restlessly and agreeing with each other a lot.
vadersmyfather 49

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 18 Oct 2013, 10:37

CunningSmile wrote:

About two months back one of the XBL Rewards questionairres asked about Games for Gold. The question was worded in such a way I'm surprised it was only 97%; rather than ask about the programme itself and the games we had received it was more along the lines of "Would you like to be given free games?" So do the 3% not like free games?

I'm just excited that for the foreseeable future I can read the same rewarmed debate about GoG v PS+ every two weeks :lol:

Thought as much. Just comments like this from MS don't produce the hype they want to but merely add seeds of doubt to subsequent statistics they publish. I love the Xbox but the MS marketing team could do with a patch ;)
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby TwinStripeUK » 18 Oct 2013, 10:43

Doesn't really need a survey - if they can see that 97% of XBL accounts have downloaded at least one of the free titles, it's a claim they can justify.

For the record, it definitely gets my stamp of approval - I haven't loved (or even liked) all the games so far, but I have tried a few titles I wouldn't have normally considered, so it's definitely no bad thing.
TwinStripeUK 20

Postby ImTehBAwsss » 18 Oct 2013, 10:54

TwinStripeUK wrote:

Doesn't really need a survey - if they can see that 97% of XBL accounts have downloaded at least one of the free titles, it's a claim they can justify.

For the record, it definitely gets my stamp of approval - I haven't loved (or even liked) all the games so far, but I have tried a few titles I wouldn't have normally considered, so it's definitely no bad thing.

For the record, i'm not being a hater here before everybody jumps on my back (not yourself but others who will no doubt say something).

That out of the way, i'd be surprised if even 50% of gamers with an XBL account even know about games for gold and of them i'd be surprised if many more then half have downloaded a game thus far. Don't forget the average gamer is not one who tracks news etc. but simply comes online occasionally to play. Ask around your local town and you will probably be surprised how little the average player knows full stop. So 97% of gamers having downloaded a games with gold title is probably out of this question. I think Cunning was correct with his hypothesis.
ImTehBAwsss 29

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 18 Oct 2013, 10:56

TwinStripeUK wrote:For the record, it definitely gets my stamp of approval - I haven't loved (or even liked) all the games so far, but I have tried a few titles I wouldn't have normally considered, so it's definitely no bad thing.

Same here. It only costs me a few minutes of my time to download a game I'd probably not have ever played. Okay I've not found one that I'd keep, but I spent a few hours on Fable 3 - which I'd never have bought.

To the haters - at the end of the day - if you don't want it - don't take it. No one is holding a gun to your heads. :)
You don't stop playing because you get older; you get older because you stop playing.

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 58

Postby Metalrodent » 18 Oct 2013, 11:03

I assume there will be an instant ban for the first person to bring up the 'other consoles' game service? :lol:

I'm not naming it, otherwise I would be the first person to bring it up xD
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby vadersmyfather » 18 Oct 2013, 11:11

Metalrodent wrote:I assume there will be an instant ban for the first person to bring up the 'other consoles' game service? :lol:

You mean the WiiU?
vadersmyfather 49

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Oct 2013, 11:12

Metalrodent wrote:I assume there will be an instant ban for the first person to bring up the 'other consoles' game service? :lol:

Oh grow a backbone you coward, I'll do it.

The Wii service was great, you got a news channel with a cat in the top corner, weather updates and some messaging thing that was mostly pointless but it was all free. Take that you xbotz!

Edit: Damn you vader, if only this computer wasn't so slow. I shall have my revenge though.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby vadersmyfather » 18 Oct 2013, 11:14

Captain_Chao5 wrote:Okay I've not found one that I'd keep, but I spent a few hours on Fable 3 - which I'd never have bought.
To the haters - at the end of the day - if you don't want it - don't take it. No one is holding a gun to your heads. :)

It's always good to get things for free. In the words of Mark and Lard "Mustn't gruuumble..."

Although, wouldn't it also be good to get games for free that you'd want to keep and play for more than a few hours....
vadersmyfather 49

Postby vadersmyfather » 18 Oct 2013, 11:16

FishyGinger wrote:[Edit: Damn you vader, if only this computer wasn't so slow. I shall have my revenge though.

"You may dispense with the pleasantries commander I am here to put you back on schedule."
vadersmyfather 49

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Oct 2013, 11:17

Nope, cos I was the first to mention it and I can't ban myself although Ed could strip me of mod status and then do it I suppose
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby ItchyRash » 18 Oct 2013, 11:22

ImTehBAwsss wrote:For the record, i'm not being a hater here before everybody jumps on my back (not yourself but others who will no doubt say something).

I certainly meant no offence. Constructive arguments about the pros and cons aren't a problem. I was just remarking on the constant GfG vs PS+ comparisons, and then the complaints, from myself included about those complaining
ItchyRash 43

Next