to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft's free Xbox games with Gold program covers "up to

Your comments on our articles.

Xbox.com makes mention of cap on which games can be made free

Whilst the news this morning that the Xbox Live service Games With Gold will be extended indefinitely certainly makes us happy, a closer look at some of the terms and conditions suggests that Microsoft has put a price cap on that happiness - £30 per month, to be precise.... read more

Microsoft's free Xbox games with Gold program covers "up to

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Oct 2013, 11:15

I'm not surprised it hasn't been extended to the One to be honest, if for no other reason then there isn't enough of a back catalogue of games. Even without the £30 roof limit I can't imagine any of the big publishers being happy if MS gave away copies of their £50 RRP games a month after launch, and at two a month you'd only have to wait six months and you've been given pretty much every launch title for free.

Give it a year or so for the One to build up a nice range of titles and arcade games (maybe even top end indies) and I can see them phasing out the 360 side of the programme and introducing it to the One.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Microsoft's free Xbox games with Gold program covers "up

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Oct 2013, 11:19

I'm not surprised it hasn't been extended to the One to be honest, if for no other reason then there isn't enough of a back catalogue of games.

This.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby hollywood111 » 18 Oct 2013, 11:26

Dear Nan,
Thank you for your kind presents of Xbox games but sadly they are either so old I'm surprised I'm not having to dig out my ZX Spectrum to play them on or so bad! I'm too embarrassed to download them in case my service provider see it & cuts me off!.

I don't mean to be ungrateful but next time can I just have the cash, sorry.
Love x
:(
hollywood111 49

Postby SilentDark » 18 Oct 2013, 12:22

Tales of Vesperia is £19.99 on GoD.

Just sayin'.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby TheMattBearPig » 18 Oct 2013, 12:41

Eternal Sonata next please :D
TheMattBearPig 10

Postby usernameistaken1 » 18 Oct 2013, 12:47

i would be fine getting one game a month if it is better than the games we have been getting so just give us one really good game
i won't be a rockstar i will be a legend freddie motherf****ing mercury
usernameistaken1 33

Postby yunoyuluvit » 18 Oct 2013, 12:51

But PSN+ offers games that haven't been released yet and gives you money for doing so! :P

Seriously though; I'm pleased that this is going to continue running. My suspicion is that it's 'evolution' will be something akin to PSN+ on the One.

NOW GIVE ME DEAD RISING, DAMMIT!!! :D
yunoyuluvit 38

Postby ssoyele » 18 Oct 2013, 13:23

i would of preferred it more if MS offered the same rental service as PS+ with more recent up to date games on offer. If Xbox one gets it a year or two also that would be great starting with some indie and current gen games.
ssoyele 7

Postby Maximus T » 18 Oct 2013, 16:01

ssoyele wrote:i would of preferred it more if MS offered the same rental service as PS+ with more recent up to date games on offer. If Xbox one gets it a year or two also that would be great starting with some indie and current gen games.

Personally, I wouldn't, because I get games for keeps. They can't really put current generation games on the Xbox ONE because of the whole backward compatibility thing; the games aren't designed for the ONE and the ONE isn't designed to support them. I am enjoying a lot of the games, I suppose I am lucky, but it is stuff I haven't tried before and probably wouldn't have before.
The thing is, these are bonus to our current gold subscriptions. If the service was a rental of newer games, surely an additional charge would be required on top of that.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby vadersmyfather » 18 Oct 2013, 16:19

Maximus T wrote:If the service was a rental of newer games, surely an additional charge would be required on top of that.

I understand the logic behind this in the sense that MS would be offering a valuable additional feature as part of the current pricing otherwise. So charging more for more would be legitimate. But this doesn't seem to take into account that the opposition are providing the feature within the same pricing model.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby bamozzy » 18 Oct 2013, 16:22

Initially when the trial started, Microsoft satated that the value would be £20 so they have increased the alloted budget for these. This is a good thing if you consider we have had to put up with a crap arcade title (one of the 800 ms points) to get a GoD title! Now they could give us 2 £15 GoD games or a £10 Arcade title and a £20 GoD game. When you look at the titles this includes, there are a lot more possibilities - Maybe Lego Pirates and Trials HD (as both have new games out or due out....) as an example
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby bamozzy » 18 Oct 2013, 16:27

vadersmyfather wrote:
Maximus T wrote:If the service was a rental of newer games, surely an additional charge would be required on top of that.

I understand the logic behind this in the sense that MS would be offering a valuable additional feature as part of the current pricing otherwise. So charging more for more would be legitimate. But this doesn't seem to take into account that the opposition are providing the feature within the same pricing model.

PS+ is basically a Rental service!!! Apart from being able to play free games (as long as you keep up your subscription - i.e. an indefinite rental service) and the ability to get a few games more cheaply - What else does it really offer that would justfy its costs.

With gold you get ALL the benefits of online play, media services etc AND FREE (permanantly free) games! Also a Free Movie on the weekend too.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby Maximus T » 18 Oct 2013, 16:35

vadersmyfather wrote:

Except this is due to the nature of Playstation Network and Xbox Live. Xbox live gold is necessary for online play and access to the majority of online content, whereas PSN does this by default. I don't know what other perks PSN+ gets you, as I don't have a PS3, but that individual segment seems extremely standalone, not something that could just be brought in to an existing model. In that respect, GoG is doing what GoG should be, but I see no reason why an additional charge couldn't offer an additional service for rental of newer games, on the Xbox ONE. Additional, but a separate service if you know what I mean, as they are greatly different services. Much in the way we pay for Gold primarily in most cases for the excellent online support, and we get GoG as a bonus to that, PS users pay their extra charge for the rental of newer titles.
Main point being: Games on gold is a bonus, not a service in itself, which is why it is a separate beast to what PSN+ gives.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Oct 2013, 17:01

bamozzy wrote:
PS+ is basically a Rental service!!! Apart from being able to play free games (as long as you keep up your subscription - i.e. an indefinite rental service) and the ability to get a few games more cheaply - What else does it really offer that would justfy its costs.

With gold you get ALL the benefits of online play, media services etc AND FREE (permanantly free) games! Also a Free Movie on the weekend too.

As far as I'm aware everything on the store is 10% less for PS+. And don't they get all the benefits of online play without it? Anyways I think cunning could do the decent thing and unless the smaller fury of his bantanto on any comments arguing which is best.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby stevejcrow » 18 Oct 2013, 17:19

The majority of the media services are subject to additional subscriptions, perhaps with the advent of the One a new pricing structure will emerge? Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum? (Tho Sony has a Platinum range of games I think.)
stevejcrow 18

Next