to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Six ways to make free-to-play gaming work on Xbox One

Your comments on our articles.

Ed dabbles in imaginary transactables

Free-to-play! It's either the spark that will reignite an industry paralysed by "unbelievable" $60 RRPs, or the spark that will set the medium's pretensions to the status of art aflame, reducing all games to their commercial imperatives. Well, so I've heard.... read more

Six ways to make free-to-play gaming work on Xbox One

Postby Maximus T » 19 Oct 2013, 10:28

Great list, this makes me think a lot more positively about free to play games.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Maximus T 68

Re: Six ways to make free-to-play gaming work on Xbox One

Postby Furie » 19 Oct 2013, 23:00

You forgot one - Don't try to deliberately confuse the player by changing money into different limited use currencies.

How many games have you seen, especially on social networks and mobile, that have gems or something that you use to buy items with? The reason is easy to see: people stop thinking about money and start thinking gems, only thinking about their purchases when they go to buy more gems.

A few game have started to mix this strategy with the MMO practice of having multiple currencies, only usable in certain areas. In MMOs this is usually used to have a set list of items that can be bought in an area but to limit gaining those items to those who invest time in the events around the area. That's fine but can be annoying when you have left over credits that can't be used elsewhere. Now imagine facing that situation after having paid for the credits rather than earning them.

If you're going to be making a free to play game then these sorts of practices are up there with pay-to-win as unethical things that will only drive players away in the long run.
Furie 26

Re: Six ways to make free-to-play gaming work on Xbox One

Postby Muppetman51 » 21 Oct 2013, 12:02

Really enjoyed this article, the only problem is is that free-to-play rests on that lovely subjective chestnut of "how much would I pay for this if it were available as a whole." While spending that amount is entirely up to the player, the value each player perceives is, at best, going to be stuck within a range of prices and I think it will be hard to create an experience that properly represents that subjectivity.
Excuse me sir, but the pigs have refused to find any more truffles until you leave!
Muppetman51 38