Xbox One Headset Adapter won't be available at launch

Your comments on our articles.

Third party headsets won't work until 2014

Sadly, those of you who were looking to use a fancy custom headset with your Xbox One when it launches later this year may have to wait a little bit longer, as it seems the Xbox One Headset Adapter Microsoft have been working on won't be available until 2014... read more

Xbox One Headset Adapter won't be available at launch

Postby msbhvn » 19 Oct 2013, 18:00

Any word on the official wireless headset? I can't find any pictures of it. I don't even play online that much and having to use a wired headset all the time will annoy the hell out of me. :|
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Re: Xbox One Headset Adapter won't be available at launch

Postby Metalrodent » 19 Oct 2013, 18:08

How hard can it be to make an adapter :roll:

The cynical side of me almosts thinks this is so that people have to buy a new headset if they want to talk for the first few months [edit] oh right, I forgot about talking via kinect :lol:
Last edited by Metalrodent on 19 Oct 2013, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby PCG The_B » 19 Oct 2013, 18:11

msbhvn wrote:Any word on the official wireless headset? I can't find any pictures of it. I don't even play online that much and having to use a wired headset all the time will annoy the hell out of me. :|

I haven't seen anything yet personally, will keep an ear to the ground though.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby CunningSmile » 19 Oct 2013, 18:12

Metalrodent wrote:How hard can it be to make an adapter :roll:

The cynical side of me almosts thinks this is so that people have to buy a new headset if they want to talk for the first few months

You do get a basic headset and a directional mic built into Kinect both included so anyone who can't be patient a just use one of those for a couple of months has more money then sense
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 19 Oct 2013, 18:18

Argh the controversy!
I still use the headset that bundled with my 360.
I had to put some electrical tape on it the other week, though.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby mackered » 19 Oct 2013, 19:12

The cynical side of me almosts thinks this is so that people have to buy a new headset if they want to talk for the first few months [edit] oh right, I forgot about talking via kinect :lol:

No, I think try are bundling an xbox one headset with the one. The adapter is so you can use a headset that works currently with the xbox (like my astro).
Last one out, don't forget to switch the lights off!
mackered 59

Postby PCG The_B » 19 Oct 2013, 20:09

mackered wrote:

No, I think try are bundling an xbox one headset with the one. The adapter is so you can use a headset that works currently with the xbox (like my astro).

This, and by the sounds of it the same goes for any headset that isn't the official MS one you'll need this adapter - certainly for Turtle Beach ones at any rate.

I'll edit to make it slightly clearer you can still use the bundled/official MS Xbox One headset - apologies if it wasn't already.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Skipstream » 19 Oct 2013, 21:32

But I'm right in thinking that my A40's will still work for audio fine (have kids so have to use headphones!) on the One but for 'chat' I'll have to use Kinect? If so, no biggie - can wait for an adaptor for a while.

However, not sure if chat will come back through audio channels into my headset? Should do I guess.

Really wish MS would just clarify crap like this properly!
Skipstream 52

Postby Dawarka mystery » 19 Oct 2013, 22:03

Ha, that means less annoying little twelve year old bastages telling me how wonderful they are at videogames and how lousy they are at school.
Dawarka mystery 11

Postby mackered » 20 Oct 2013, 16:42

Skipstream wrote:But I'm right in thinking that my A40's will still work for audio fine (have kids so have to use headphones!) on the One but for 'chat' I'll have to use Kinect? If so, no biggie - can wait for an adaptor for a while.

However, not sure if chat will come back through audio channels into my headset? Should do I guess.

Really wish MS would just clarify crap like this properly!

Optical out into a40 box. Sound set to everything to optical. Audio and chat will turn up in your headphones then I guess you can yell at the kinect
mackered 59

Postby bamozzy » 20 Oct 2013, 18:03

My Turtle Beach headset just requires a USB and Optical link to conect to the console - although it does also require a standard jack (although I could use a bluetooth puck which also has a standard jack) to connect it to the controller for chat. Do the new xbox one controllers have a different way of connecting headsets?
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Loving Destiny at the moment!!! I know the story isn't as 'Epic' as it could be but the game is so addictive!!
bamozzy 68

Postby mackered » 20 Oct 2013, 19:22

bamozzy wrote:My Turtle Beach headset just requires a USB and Optical link to conect to the console - although it does also require a standard jack (although I could use a bluetooth puck which also has a standard jack) to connect it to the controller for chat. Do the new xbox one controllers have a different way of connecting headsets?

Unfortunately yes, otherwise this thread would be redundant. I have the same headset on my second xbox and the principle is the same as the astro, optical from xbox into the control unit then jack from the headphone into the controller (in xbox terms, the USB is just for power to the Wireless control unit). Unfortunately, the new controller doesn't have the jack, that's what the 'adapter' is for (I think).
mackered 59

Postby majormomsticky » 20 Oct 2013, 21:32

This is very frastaiting I'm 1 of the many gamers who will need a headset for gaming as I mainly play at night and I don't think my family wanna hear my TV at 12 o'clock at night , why can't Microsoft just come out and tell us which of these headsets will work with this new adapter there making is it purly just turtle beach headsets like the x12 , px22 etc etc or is it for all brands like the trittan , astro , my headset is currently getting past its day so I'm in need of buying a new headset urgently but I can't risk buying a current gen astro or turtle beach if I'm not 100% they will work with this new adapter plus if it will affect the audio quality as I've had that problem in past and if I'm honest the XO seven & XO four havnt impressed me much from what I've seen the sevens look the same as xp sevens which for me I don't like at all , so four is a new design but that would be a risk as it could be good or shocking! I am interred in the Polks but currently can't find them in UK for pre order and also the lack of surround sound ! Worrying times for us gamers who need a mic for chat and audio !
majormomsticky 30

Postby golliwoza » 20 Oct 2013, 21:41

My past experiences with wired headsets have not been pretty, I just hope the wireless headset is as good as the one I use now.
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Postby J288gto » 21 Oct 2013, 15:12

By 2014 they could mean January, not that long a wait hopefully. MS loves its little exclusives with people (Turtle Beach) don't they? That's business I suppose...
J288gto 32

Next