to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Everybody plays: how Special Effect helps people with disabi

Your comments on our articles.

Bill and Mick Donegan talk custom controls

Most games offer "normal" difficulty settings, and there's an unfortunate (and unintended) social parallel. Easier difficulty settings aren't labelled "abnormal", of course, but in the often-forbidding world of online games enthusiasm, those who'd rather not sweat for the privilege of enjoying themselves risk being tacitly branded as such. Thus, a player's sense of self-worth becomes in some way dependent on questions of skill, and in particular manual skill. This is obviously sad in itself, but what happens when you don't have the full use of your hands? I spoke to Oxfordshire-based charity Special Effect for more.... read more

Postby GHOSTY05 » 20 Oct 2013, 12:47

Very humbling.
GHOSTY05 40

Re: Everybody plays: how Special Effect helps people with di

Postby something fishy » 20 Oct 2013, 13:05

As a gamer with eye disability I'm delighted to read of this sort of work going on (though this is obviously not for my type of problem). Bravo to them!!

In my case it's not too bad but I struggle to keep up and I play everything on easy these days and use audio queues as much as I can where the eyes are bad and i'm not seeing it properly.

Interesting to hear of Kinect being used. I hadn't thought about it but if the new one is more accurate and responsive I can imagine it could be used in all sorts of ways to help.

It's great to know that people with disability are being considered in the game world more and more. I was concerned i'd have to give it up completely in a few years but maybe not :D
Last edited by something fishy on 20 Oct 2013, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
something fishy 32

Postby LethalBuddha » 20 Oct 2013, 13:07

It's a shame that this charity doesn't get the coverage on TV like all those sponsor an animal ads which you're bombarded with on a daily basis.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby captainhetty » 20 Oct 2013, 13:10

I've supported Special Effect for some time now, the work they do is amazing.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 58

Postby fracturedrich » 20 Oct 2013, 14:02

My father had a stroke 2 years ago and has lost his speech ,he is 58 and the doctors have almost demanded that he plays games like forza and certain kinect games to stimulate certain parts of the brain.That being said i am 100 percent behind this type of thing,fantastic article,this is the positive side of gaming that i really like.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Mr Werdz » 21 Oct 2013, 04:02

I cant believe I aint heard a this before sounds brillant my sister has cyrabal palsy and her and her fellow house mates could really benfit from this top marks Special Effect :D
War, war never changes
Mr Werdz 15

Postby skinnypigeon » 21 Oct 2013, 15:08

Wonderful stuff.
skinnypigeon 13

Postby TronZler » 22 Oct 2013, 15:26

Hadn't heard of these guys before but agree with everyone its a great thing they do. I have two great friends who through unfortunate circumstances was left with their daughters two children. Both have learning difficulties in some form,one is autistic an one is a bit more severe an if it wasn't for Xbox Live they would have very little interaction with the outside world. They both play with the same Live friends from Poland to America an for people in that situation,the internet an gaming can be a great thing. So kudos to all involved!
TronZler 23

Postby Courtney_Allison » 23 Oct 2013, 22:54

Very humbling, indeed.

I'm excited to read this article, Edwin. Technology is bringing about a new world for people with disabilities. They are empowered by it, I believe.

Thanks for the good work.

Courtney
http://www.disabilityliving.ca/disabili ... -syndrome/
Courtney_Allison 1