Aliens: Isolation trademark filed by Twentieth Century Fox s

Your comments on our articles.

Could this be the Creative Assembly Aliens title we've been waiting for?

You'd have thought that after the PR nightmare that was Aliens: Colonial Marines's colossal case of crashing and burning, the Aliens franchise would have been put out to pasture for the foreseeable future. Or at least, until everyone had forgotten about the Gearbox monstrosity.... read more

Postby White Xian IV » 21 Oct 2013, 12:32

Very risky buisness treading on the thin ice that is now the franchise of aliens (as a game) - hopefully this wont be a (ed) balls up. :roll:
- Respect even those who you do not fear -
White Xian IV 31

Postby Funkcase » 21 Oct 2013, 12:42

I hope we finally get a good Aliens game, but I will not get my hopes up after how terrible the last two Aliens games have been. I'm not sure how they can fail at making a game with this source material, if any movie francise could be made into a game it's this one, yet it just hasn't worked out.

Fingers crossed, but I wont look forward to it as much as I did Colonial Marines. It's a shame; that actually looked like it would be the good Aliens game when it was announced.
Funkcase 26

Re: Aliens: Isolation trademark filed by Twentieth Century F

Postby GHOSTY05 » 21 Oct 2013, 12:48

I say give the franchise to DICE.

Let them build an Alien game similar to Battlefield 4, open world with 2 teams against each other.

One team are aliens the other marines, marines have vehicles such as that armoured tank thing and even the little shuttle ships, can customize weapons.

Marine classes could be marine, sniper, engineer and android!

Aliens classes could be Drone, Soldier, Queen or even be a face hugger!

Objective points to capture could be the aliens nest or even the operations rooms and labs for the aliens from Aliens.

Maps could be hadleys hope base on LV4226, and many more.

Destructible and believable environments with great sound and lighting, it would be amazing.

Imagine 32 Aliens pitched against 32 marines, or to make it more balanced have say 42 aliens and only 24 marines

OR..................

I want an Alien RPG, something like skyrim but in an Alien world please.
GHOSTY05 43

Postby Funkcase » 21 Oct 2013, 12:58

GHOSTY05 wrote:I say give the franchise to DICE.

Let them build an Alien game similar to Battlefield 4, open world with 2 teams against each other.

One team are aliens the other marines, marines have vehicles such as that armoured tank thing and even the little shuttle ships, can customize weapons.

Marine classes could be marine, sniper, engineer and android!

Aliens classes could be Drone, Soldier, Queen or even be a face hugger!

Objective points to capture could be the aliens nest or even the operations rooms and labs for the aliens from Aliens.

Maps could be hadleys hope base on LV4226, and many more.

Destructible and believable environments with great sound and lighting, it would be amazing.

Imagine 32 Aliens pitched against 32 marines!

This does sound pretty good :!: Maybe have the queen being selected at random, or the player with the highest score on the Aliens team become the queen.

But I do miss the horror element to Alien; it seems no developer can get that right, the Aliens just aren't intimidating or very strong in the games.
Funkcase 26

Postby GHOSTY05 » 21 Oct 2013, 13:15

This does sound pretty good :!: Maybe have the queen being selected at random, or the player with the highest score on the Aliens team become the queen.

But I do miss the horror element to Alien; it seems no developer can get that right, the Aliens just aren't intimidating or very strong in the games.

Yeah good point, perhaps the alien team have to protect the queen like a command post.

I loved the game mode in AVP where there was only one alien at the start and gradually you all became aliens until there was only 1 marine left.

Imagine being an alien and grabbing a marine, but instead of taking his dog tags you put your little teeth through his face.

It could easily work, i still think the best Alien game was Alien VS predator on the PC.

It had the horror of the franchise and was very dark and scary.
GHOSTY05 43

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 21 Oct 2013, 13:16

As long as it isn't anything to do with that canned Obsidian Aliens game. I know it was unfinished but it looked terrible.

Posted this on another thread ages ago but still think its a good idea

An Aliens game set during the initial Xeno infestation of Hadleys Hope would make a far more compelling and suspenseful experience than yet another Call of Duty clone.

It could borrow ideas from Tell Tales 'The Walking Dead' where a group of survivors are desperately trying to make their way to an out of the way hangar where they hope they could find a fully working ship to get them off LV 426. The main character could be a non military type person who reluctantly takes on the monumental task of leading the survivors to safety. Obviously it would be more action orientated than The Walking Dead game, making use of classic movie moments like the power loader, and automated turrets.
But in terms of how to add more suspense, imagine leading your group of survivors down a blacked out corridor with only the rotating flashing amber light to guide you, you check your rifles ammo counter to see onLY a few rounds left as Xenos start to scramble out of vents and drop from the ceiling, their tails whipping and slashing through the air. The screams are deafening, In the chaos you fall to the ground, looking behind you see survivors, men and woman being dragged into the vents leaving nothing but bloody clawing hand prints in their wake. Some lucky few are killed instantly whilst others desperately fight off the Xenos with what limited fire arms the could scavenge.

A big factor should be that the Aliens are be able to kill you or put you near death in one attack and as you are near death they try to drag you off to their nest. No standing toe to toe with an alien as it takes swipes at you, that is so stupid. This makes coming up against a single alien tense and all the more dangerous.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Oct 2013, 13:30

That sounds like a great idea John, set up your own development studio and publisher so I get to play it.

I think you've also hit fairly well on the head the reason that Aliens games keep failing when you say about the one swipe and getting dragged away. The Alien films (even James Cameron's one) are about vulnerability and hopelessness. The crew of the Nostromo helplessly outclassed and having no idea what they're up against, the gung ho marines realising that actually they aren't the most dangerous thing in the galaxy, the prisoners trapped and unarmed on an isolated planet and what ever the clone and turd baby monstrosity was about.

By contrast games are about making you feel empowered, they're about giving you big weapons and generous health regeneration and letting you forge a one person war against what should be over whelming odds.

Short of making a Silent Hill style survival horror I'm not sure if you can make a good Alien game, purely because the focus is all wrong.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Oct 2013, 14:10

I think they should make an Alien DLC for XCOM Enemy Unknown.

Or, hear me out, get Irrational to make an alien game. Bioshock 1 nailed suspense, tension etc and made you cautious and pants aware throughout 90% of the game, as suggested make aliens kill in one hit, there is far more tension in what isn't there than the 'overwhelm' tactic that most games use. Add in valves AI director to make replaying truly unique and you have the recipe for a good horror game, nevermind an alien one.

In fact, dead space 1 also got the tension bit right for corridor walking, it could be miles better, but a genuinely creaky floor is much scarier than 10 things pouncing down on you.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Oxo971 » 21 Oct 2013, 14:33

something like ftl. a roguelike game, based primarily online, were your dropped in as a random team member in a near impossible situation with only 1 goal, be that survive, escape, self destruct etc. go light on the story (like all the good alien films) and put all the focus into the tension how you really are the underdog. make it nearly impossible to win, so on the very few occasions that you do there is a feeling of accomplishment, and with the new record feature from xbox one, you have the proof for your bragging rights. code it using spark and then let the community submit new maps and situations giving you a game that can run and run
Oxo971 24

Postby delpoi » 21 Oct 2013, 15:33

To me the name "Isolation" says a lot to me that sounds like your on your own hopefully it will be a survival horror game imagine a survival horror version of Aliens were its just you being chased down and set aboard a spaceship basically like dead space but they could do so much with it as the subject matter for Aliens is out there already everybody knows Aliens i think that would be a hit I'd certainly buy it :mrgreen:
delpoi 41

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Oct 2013, 16:08

CunningSmile wrote:Short of making a Silent Hill style survival horror I'm not sure if you can make a good Alien game, purely because the focus is all wrong.

I think it's possible, mainly because there have been good alien games in the past. Even the first 2 avp games were good with good lighting, pacing and some great levels. Something in the same style as Bez says Dead Space essentially was an aliens game or maybe Amnesia would be better as 1st person is a better perspective.

Xcom is a rubbish idea as is walking dead as aliens are supposed to be fast and the slower pace or turn based just wouldn't work thinks I. Maybe a RTS. Wasn't ZombieU supposed to be quite tense?

Or an even better idea, a game that has nothing to do with Sega. In like System Shock 2. It could even have Shodan because just because and stuff.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 21 Oct 2013, 17:05

FishyGinger wrote:Xcom is a rubbish idea as is walking dead as aliens are supposed to be fast and the slower pace or turn based just wouldn't work thinks I.

I mentioned borrowing ideas from The Walking Dead not just putting Aliens into a carbon copy of The Walking Dead games. An Alien game where you are part of a group of survivors making decisions that effect the game along the way would be my preference. Alien and Aliens had a great cast of characters and you genuinely felt sorry for those that didn't make it. The games should reflect this.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Oct 2013, 17:24

Ah fair enough then, thought you meant the game style/control. Yeah most of the characters in the films were great and gelled well but the recent games make them out as swearing, ooh-rahing meat heads you actually hope get sexually assaulted my a spikey gob monster.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Baryonyx » 21 Oct 2013, 19:24

I'll always make time for an Aliens game!
Baryonyx 42

Postby Decent_Jam » 21 Oct 2013, 19:26

If it is, how many OXM covers are you going to give this one? ;-)

I think considering the disappointment compared to what CM should have been I will be very sceptical about getting into bed with an alien next time (so to speak...)
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : MCC, Sunset O, Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 63

Next