to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

"All your favourite Windows 8 apps can run on Xbox One," cla

Your comments on our articles.

UPDATE: Microsoft denies that "all" W8 apps work on the console

Online PC retailer Dell seem to have outed that when the Xbox One launches next month you'll immediately have a absolute truck load of apps to choose from, because it'll support the running of all Windows 8 apps.... read more

"All your favourite Windows 8 apps can run on Xbox One," cla

Postby PonderingWalrus » 21 Oct 2013, 13:05

Would be quite cool if this was true and should definitely be a possibility since the Xbox One runs on a modified version of Windows 8 anyway.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Re: "All your favourite Windows 8 apps can run on Xbox One,"

Postby b0dd1c3 » 21 Oct 2013, 14:15

I vaguely remembered this being a rumour a few months ago, I think.
b0dd1c3 39

Postby ChaoticP » 22 Oct 2013, 09:56

I would imagine Microsoft heavily promoting this if it were the case, but with as poor as their PR has been, then again maybe not. If doable MS should definitely implement it.
ChaoticP 52

Postby lfcgorsty » 22 Oct 2013, 10:02

What apps are they on about? I've got a Mac and have never had to use Windows 8 so I have no clue what kind of apps are available.
lfcgorsty 23

Postby TechsUK » 22 Oct 2013, 12:02

Windows 8 is split into 2 in a manner of speaking, x86/x64 runtime (windows) and Windows RT - the new app environment. XBOX ONE has 2 supervisors (aka OS partitions) and a hypervisor (cut down and optimized Hyper-V). The gaming OS/supervisor is XBOX, the general purpose one draws heavily on Windows RT, from Windows 8. My understanding would be that the Windows RT in XBOX ONE doesn't have the full range of API's (features) available to the App programmer.
The 'RT' API's in Windows, Windows Phone and XBOX are converging and the goal will be a single App store. I suspect it will be not just one store for Windows and Windows Phone. It would make sense for Microsoft to have XBOX in on that, as it draws developers - they code for one, and get exposure on all screens.
TechsUK 16

Postby PonderingWalrus » 22 Oct 2013, 17:04

TechsUK wrote:Windows 8 is split into 2 in a manner of speaking, x86/x64 runtime (windows) and Windows RT - the new app environment. XBOX ONE has 2 supervisors (aka OS partitions) and a hypervisor (cut down and optimized Hyper-V). The gaming OS/supervisor is XBOX, the general purpose one draws heavily on Windows RT, from Windows 8. My understanding would be that the Windows RT in XBOX ONE doesn't have the full range of API's (features) available to the App programmer.
The 'RT' API's in Windows, Windows Phone and XBOX are converging and the goal will be a single App store. I suspect it will be not just one store for Windows and Windows Phone. It would make sense for Microsoft to have XBOX in on that, as it draws developers - they code for one, and get exposure on all screens.

Maybe they just need to reverse the polarity of the electron flow, decomfobulate the left phalange and recompile the gamma chicken drivers and all will be fine? :P
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby mackered » 22 Oct 2013, 19:55

PonderingWalrus wrote:
Maybe they just need to reverse the polarity of the electron flow, decomfobulate the left phalange and recompile the gamma chicken drivers and all will be fine? :P

But that would require a sonic screwdriver and a discumknockerator. Both in short supply at the moment. Instead, they have chosen to multipartition (easier solution, only requires a techie instead of 2 simultaneous doctors).
Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Guess they don't like random people coming knocking on their doors. Also, when your partner says "correct me if I'm wrong" would you?
mackered 58

Postby mackered » 02 Nov 2013, 23:21

Having just uploaded my 1000th album to google play (yes they are all legal) google play is one app I would like to see.

Only 2000 to go lol. (Before you ask, I have about 4000 legal albums ,I was a producer.)
Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Guess they don't like random people coming knocking on their doors. Also, when your partner says "correct me if I'm wrong" would you?
mackered 58

Postby Decent_Jam » 03 Nov 2013, 12:01

mackered wrote:Having just uploaded my 1000th album to google play (yes they are all legal) google play is one app I would like to see.

Only 2000 to go lol. (Before you ask, I have about 4000 legal albums ,I was a producer.)

I opted for Amazon myself so I'd like to see an Amazon Cloud player app.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62