to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Batman: Arkham Origins Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Silent Knight, holy Christmas time fright

What kind of man takes the law into his own hands, risking himself again and again for a thankless city? Not an entirely sane one, that's for sure. We're talking about a man so driven by his compulsion to dress up as a winged mammal that he adds the prefix 'Bat-' to everything he owns - a man who obsessively draws his explosive gel in the shape of his symbol, even when no one else is watching. A man so insufferably solemn, even his butler tells him to lighten the hell up - presumably while cutting his sandwiches into perfect little Batarangs. Origins takes us back to the formative years of that man, who, as it turns out, only gets by with a little help from his friends.... read more

Batman: Arkham Origins Xbox 360

Postby Christopher Dack » 25 Oct 2013, 08:35

Great work Aoife , awww glad its on its way to me but seems let down in few points . How long for a reasonable play through ?
Christopher Dack 25

Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Xbox 360

Postby OXM Aoife » 25 Oct 2013, 09:20

Christopher Dack wrote:Great work Aoife , awww glad its on its way to me but seems let down in few points . How long for a reasonable play through ?

Main story alone will probably set you back around 15 hours (at least), then there's plenty of side missions on top of that. I wouldn't call it a let down - it had some mighty big shoes to fill, after all!
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby PaulHenry80 » 25 Oct 2013, 09:20

Nice review! Looking forward to seeing a play-through!
PHB80
PaulHenry80 1

Postby yunoyuluvit » 25 Oct 2013, 09:38

I figured that it would basically be a retread of what has come before, but, for me, that's no bad thing; I have replayed the originals several times. I'm looking forward to getting started on this after work!
yunoyuluvit 38

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Oct 2013, 09:42

I've said all along that if the worst that could be said about this is that it's more of the same I'd be a happy bunny. As a result I currently look like this :mrgreen:

As you say above Aoife the game had big shoes to fill so I'm not entirely surprised it doesn't quite match up to the earlier entries but an 8/10 is still a very good score and certainly worth a try.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 25 Oct 2013, 11:12

Knew Warner Bros would play it safe so as to not damage the franchise for Rocksteadys return on next gen.

Im annoyed, Ive had this pre-ordered for weeks with Amazon and the postman has been and gone. Was hoping to get a few hours in before work tonight.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby EdDeRs1 » 25 Oct 2013, 11:15

so how awesome was Deathstroke in the game? if he was not the main antagonist (he is DC's top merc and can take on the entire Justice League) I will be disappointed
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby OXM Aoife » 25 Oct 2013, 11:27

EdDeRs1 wrote:so how awesome was Deathstroke in the game? if he was not the main antagonist (he is DC's top merc and can take on the entire Justice League) I will be disappointed

Honestly? He's sufficiently awesome, but his appearance in the game is surprisingly brief.

By the by, if you guys have any other questions about the game, do let me know and I'll do my best to answer.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Oct 2013, 11:50

OXM Aoife wrote:By the by, if you guys have any other questions about the game, do let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

One that has occurred to me (in fact when they first announced a prequel this size) is how do you get around? Arkham City would have been a nightmare to navigate without the grapple launch allowing you to launch off buildings and continue gliding but in that game they introduced it as being an untested prototype, so is it missing from Origins or have they fudged the continuity to allow it?
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Aoife » 25 Oct 2013, 12:01

CunningSmile wrote:
OXM Aoife wrote:By the by, if you guys have any other questions about the game, do let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

One that has occurred to me (in fact when they first announced a prequel this size) is how do you get around? Arkham City would have been a nightmare to navigate without the grapple launch allowing you to launch off buildings and continue gliding but in that game they introduced it as being an untested prototype, so is it missing from Origins or have they fudged the continuity to allow it?

That's a good one - yeah, the grapple launcher is in there. I forgot that was an untested prototype in AC actually, so I guess they've retconned it slightly.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 25 Oct 2013, 12:03

Here's one, I have yet to play both Asylum and City (own 'em both :oops: ), is it worth me playing this first, so it forms a true trilogy?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby CunningSmile » 25 Oct 2013, 12:21

Metalrodent wrote:Here's one, I have yet to play both Asylum and City (own 'em both :oops: ), is it worth me playing this first, so it forms a true trilogy?

Shame on you!
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Aoife » 25 Oct 2013, 12:22

Metalrodent wrote:Here's one, I have yet to play both Asylum and City (own 'em both :oops: ), is it worth me playing this first, so it forms a true trilogy?

For shame!! Nah I don't think you'd need to play Origins first to get what was going on in later games. If it were me, I'd prefer playing games in the order they were made rather than in a narrative chronology, so that I can see how the mechanics have evolved and changed over time. Just comes down to personal preference though.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Muppetman51 » 25 Oct 2013, 12:25

In my humble opinion, I'd say personal preference. I've played both and quite like the idea of seeing how it all began now I know what's gone on. On the other hand I think playing through from the beginning as it were could be fun too. Of course having got nowhere near the game I may be quite wrong, which would not be unusual for me.

Edit: and everyone beat me to it.

@Aoife, sorry to go a little off topic, but I was thinking of picking up some Batman comics to get some of the references a bit more and my local WH Smith's has what looks like a Knightfall trilogy. Is that a good place to start?
You just shot the invisible swordsman!
Muppetman51 30

Postby vadersmyfather » 25 Oct 2013, 12:26

OXM Aoife wrote:

For shame!! Nah I don't think you'd need to play Origins first to get what was going on in later games. If it were me, I'd prefer playing games in the order they were made rather than in a narrative chronology, so that I can see how the mechanics have evolved and changed over time. Just comes down to personal preference though.

True, it might be frustrating to go from having all weapons at your disposal to a stripped back version for AA.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Next