to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest horr

Your comments on our articles.

How seriously do you want to take that zombie invasion?

Mild-mannered mechanic Nick Ramos is wearing a giant novelty shark costume. Our co-op partner - a sturdy trucker named Dick - sports a full suit of armour. Together we're gleefully slashing our way through a hotel pool full of swimshort- and bikini-clad zombies with a pair of glowing laser swords that, for legal purposes, are absolutely not lightsabers.... read more

An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest horr

Postby Skipstream » 27 Oct 2013, 08:54

Sounds good! When week the review be out? Launch day or before?
User avatar
Skipstream 47
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 23 May 2011, 19:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Filipus » 27 Oct 2013, 17:27

ME WANT BR.... GAMESSSS
Filipus 23
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 07 Jul 2013, 17:58

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby EdDeRs1 » 27 Oct 2013, 18:28

needs Bruce Campbell, although every game needs Bruce Campbell this one needs him more than most if it's going to try and mix horror and commedy, just watch The Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39
 
Posts: 439
Joined: 06 May 2010, 16:44
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby msbhvn » 27 Oct 2013, 20:44

I'm kind of sick of the whole The Walking Dead-inspired depressing zombie survival scenario, where people just tread water until they die. Dead Rising was the perfect antidote to that by adding the huge variety of silly costumes and weapons.

The one thing Dead Rising hadn't done well until now was be scary. Zombies are just a hindrance in the previous games and it was far too easy to overlook the fact that they were once people.

I like how they've explained the removal of the time constraints. The first time through, the current-gen games are frustrating because you can't save everyone. Designing the game so it can be played with or without the constraints is clever and makes the game more accessible while keeping the challenge for people who want it.

The more I read about this game, the happier I am that I picked it as my launch title to go with my Xbox One.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
User avatar
msbhvn 66
 
Posts: 4066
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby b0dd1c3 » 27 Oct 2013, 22:37

You see the first thing I noticed when they announced Dead Rising 3 was that when the text came up it was in a similar style to that of The Walking Dead

This game does look better and better every time I read about it but I couldn't really get into Dead Rising 2 (Games with gold, Yay :) ) I may give it another go before I make a decision as to whether or not I should get number 3.
b0dd1c3 38
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 23 May 2013, 20:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby battfink83 » 27 Oct 2013, 22:54

cant wait for this. always been a DR fan since buying DR1 on release day, but i was always frustrated by the damn time constraints. loved the sandbox mode on DR2 OTR, the fact the time has now been removed from the story campain on this one makes me hella happy! ;)

actually looking forward to this next gen console release, 64 player BF4, forza 5 car porn, a free copy of fifa and DR3... will be busy for a few months
User avatar
battfink83 47
 
Posts: 718
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 00:24

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Oct 2013, 01:24

An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest horror game

In fairness, at the moment it's the only Xbox One horror :lol: least until Evil Within comes along
Image
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
User avatar
Metalrodent 67
 
Posts: 4219
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby b0dd1c3 » 28 Oct 2013, 02:11

Metalrodent wrote:
An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest horror game

In fairness, at the moment it's the only Xbox One horror :lol: least until Evil Within comes along


I don't think you're giving Zumba Fitness enough credit
b0dd1c3 38
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 23 May 2013, 20:23
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Decent_Jam » 28 Oct 2013, 08:08

Having played a demo of this yesterday, which admittedly short and very limited, I can't say the game grabbed me. There are a number of pluses, such as the fact that it looks nice, but there are drawbacks too, or maybe I'm just being picky. Objects you are holding are clever enough to magically pass through other objects like lampposts, the AI is very basic, I mean I know its zombies but they can't think to go around a car rather than over that's in their way.

The sheer number of zombies in the game I played was impressive, beyond that of DR2, but even though there was a fair amount of variety, and if I looked I could see the individual zombies move individually, nothing made me scared of them, which is a shame. The sheer scale of having hundreds of enemies to deal with gets old quickly, use of weapons is a bit clunky depending on which you choose and there's basically no point in mowing down enemies in a vehicle due to the amount of pp it gives you for it.

In all little compels me to pick this up, especially at full price. Not much story to draw me in (obviously I wasn't looking for that in a demo but my perception of the game suggests this), and when zombies are already done so well by Left 4 Dead and offer fantastic multiplayer rather than a limited coop mode, there's little to make me buy.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
User avatar
Decent_Jam 58
 
Posts: 3293
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 10:50
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby GHOSTY05 » 28 Oct 2013, 10:25

Decent_Jam wrote:Having played a demo of this yesterday, which admittedly short and very limited, I can't say the game grabbed me. There are a number of pluses, such as the fact that it looks nice, but there are drawbacks too, or maybe I'm just being picky. Objects you are holding are clever enough to magically pass through other objects like lampposts, the AI is very basic, I mean I know its zombies but they can't think to go around a car rather than over that's in their way.

The sheer number of zombies in the game I played was impressive, beyond that of DR2, but even though there was a fair amount of variety, and if I looked I could see the individual zombies move individually, nothing made me scared of them, which is a shame. The sheer scale of having hundreds of enemies to deal with gets old quickly, use of weapons is a bit clunky depending on which you choose and there's basically no point in mowing down enemies in a vehicle due to the amount of pp it gives you for it.

In all little compels me to pick this up, especially at full price. Not much story to draw me in (obviously I wasn't looking for that in a demo but my perception of the game suggests this), and when zombies are already done so well by Left 4 Dead and offer fantastic multiplayer rather than a limited coop mode, there's little to make me buy.


Still getting it, and as ill only be paying around £30 for it, makes it even more worthwhile!
Image
User avatar
GHOSTY05 39
 
Posts: 1612
Joined: 06 Oct 2007, 19:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Mantequ1lla » 28 Oct 2013, 11:48

I was fortunate enough to play this on Saturday at the Xbox One Tour, and it was by far the best and most enjoyable game on show (and considering there was Forza, BF4, KI and RYSE as well as others, that is saying a lot!).

Originally I was debating pre-ordering RYSE instead, and changed my mind to DR3 a few weeks ago. Whilst I was very impressed with RYSE (which looks stunning, and was great fun to play) and will eventually buy it, I was glad I went with DR3 instead.

It was the most fun I've had playing a game for a long while. I ended up playing the same demo 4 times (each time playing it different to the last). The developers should be incredibly proud of what they have achieved. There were HUNDREDS of zombies on screen at a time, with no signs of slowing up, and it looked stunning the entire time.

The only frustrating thing is I now have to wait until the 22nd November to play it again! I cannot bloody wait!
User avatar
Mantequ1lla 47
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 14:43
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Chameleon1977 » 29 Oct 2013, 08:45

Skipstream wrote:When week the review be out? Launch day or before?

I think this question needs an answer - what are the review embargoes like on X1 launch games?
Clearly, those of us getting a launch-day X1 are shelling out (probably) £430 for the console and at least two games, which will take us over the £500-mark. It'd be nice to know that we're not getting a couple of duds, that will leave us with no incentive to play on our new, expensive toy...
Image
Image
User avatar
Chameleon1977 47
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 16 Oct 2013, 07:21

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Skipstream » 29 Oct 2013, 14:04

Chameleon1977 wrote:
Skipstream wrote:When week the review be out? Launch day or before?

I think this question needs an answer - what are the review embargoes like on X1 launch games?
Clearly, those of us getting a launch-day X1 are shelling out (probably) £430 for the console and at least two games, which will take us over the £500-mark. It'd be nice to know that we're not getting a couple of duds, that will leave us with no incentive to play on our new, expensive toy...


I agree - I've asked OXM a few times about launch title review embargoes but not got a response yet. Guess I may have to learn how to play FIFA14 only since it's with my pre-order - at least until I read the reviews!

Saying that - BF4 getting good reviews already so will probably pick that up - or AC4

But no way going to risk Ryse of DR3 until I've seen a review
User avatar
Skipstream 47
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 23 May 2011, 19:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Chameleon1977 » 29 Oct 2013, 14:27

Skipstream wrote:
Chameleon1977 wrote:Clearly, those of us getting a launch-day X1 are shelling out (probably) £430 for the console and at least two games, which will take us over the £500-mark. It'd be nice to know that we're not getting a couple of duds, that will leave us with no incentive to play on our new, expensive toy...


I agree - I've asked OXM a few times about launch title review embargoes but not got a response yet. Guess I may have to learn how to play FIFA14 only since it's with my pre-order - at least until I read the reviews!

Saying that - BF4 getting good reviews already so will probably pick that up - or AC4

But no way going to risk Ryse of DR3 until I've seen a review

Agree with Ryse but, despite never trying a DR game before (downloaded but yet to touch the Games with Gold ones) I'm leaning toward taking a punt on it. I think my launch lineup will be FIFA from the Day1 Edition, Lego Marvel (can't go wrong with that one), Forza (again, can't really go wrong), AC4 (current-gen reviews bear this one out, after Watch_Dogs got delayed) and DR3 as the one I'll take a risk on. And yes, I know I'm lucky to be able to be looking at such a decent initial library - a small windfall has taken care of that - thanks, Auntie, RIP.

Either way, it'd be nice for a comment from the staff, whatever's happening. Are there any launch games where reviews will be out a week before launch? How about a day before? Or is everything embargoed until 22nd??
Image
Image
User avatar
Chameleon1977 47
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 16 Oct 2013, 07:21

Re: An hour in Dead Rising 3, Xbox One's scariest, silliest

Postby Chameleon1977 » 05 Nov 2013, 15:02

Regarding embargoes...

Just read a review of CoD: Ghosts on another site, where they gave mediocre reviews of it on 360, PS3 and PS4... and said X1 impressions were embargoed until 12th November. Hopefully this will apply to a multitude of X1 launch games, and those of us buying at launch will have a bit more of an idea what to buy.
Image
Image
User avatar
Chameleon1977 47
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 16 Oct 2013, 07:21


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FishyGinger, Google [Bot] and 6 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]