to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Square Enix has "discussed" letting Eidos work on Final Fant

Your comments on our articles.

"If we had the right game, then yes, certainly we'd think about it."

Final Fantasy is, I think it's fair to say, a little stuck in the mud. Sales of the past few iterations haven't been terrible, but a vocal minority of fans remain decidedly unconvinced by the focus on Lightning, heroine of Final Fantasy XIII and the upcoming spin-off release, Lightning Returns.... read more

Square Enix has "discussed" letting Eidos work on Final Fant

Postby SilentDark » 28 Oct 2013, 13:52

Oh grud no, please please please.

Square Enix, here is how to make a good FF game.

1) Go back and look at the games before X.
2) Do it like that.

FF is a distinctly Japanese game, with Japanese sensibilities. Don't try to westernize it because you will lose the unique flavour of the franchise, remember Spirits Within? Remember how that basically had nothing to do with FF outside the name? Remember how it bombed so hard that it very nearly crippled the company and killed your Hawaii based film studio? Learn a lesson Squeenix.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Re: Square Enix has "discussed" letting Eidos work on Final

Postby OXM ETboy » 28 Oct 2013, 13:55

They should stop arsing around and give it to Level-5. Or perhaps Mistwalker.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SilentDark » 28 Oct 2013, 14:01

Yes, totally agree, given that the games most like Final Fantasy were games not made by Square Enix they should probably give it to Mistwalker. Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and The Last Story carried in the tradition of excellent story telling and interesting characters. Heck I'd even love Monolith Soft to take a crack at it, having loved Xenoblade Chronicles, sure it would end up a Nintendo exclusive but I'd be ok with that just to get a decent FF game.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby captainhetty » 28 Oct 2013, 14:20

OXM ETboy wrote:They should stop arsing around and give it to Level-5. Or perhaps Mistwalker.

This. For the love of all that is holy, if you have to give it to someone, give it to Level-5.
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
GT - captainhetty
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 61

Postby Fenchurch » 28 Oct 2013, 16:05

I think the old FF games were so highly received in part because of the limitations of consoles at the time. This allowed the developers to focus on storylines and characters rather than visuals and adding new elements to the gameplay that only further clouded the brilliant set up they had.
Not the clothing brand...
Fenchurch 32

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Oct 2013, 16:42

OXM ETboy wrote:They should stop arsing around and give it to Level-5. Or perhaps Mistwalker.

So wrong....they should give it to Factor 5 and make it like Rogue Leader.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Metalrodent » 28 Oct 2013, 16:48

FishyGinger wrote:

So wrong....they should give it to Factor 5 and make it like Rogue Leader.

Fishy has the right idea, just a shame Factor 5 are no more
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 28 Oct 2013, 17:52

In recent years Square Enix cant seem to decide whether they want to make Final Fantasy a game or a movie. In Final Fantasy 12, 13 and 13-2 the amount of control that was taken away from player really pissed me off as watching battles play out instead of actively participating in them is not my idea of fun. Lightning Returns seems to have rectified this but you still have to play as Lightning :roll: I don't get the appeal of this character at all.

The idea of letting a western developer create a Final Fantasy could breath new life into a stagnating franchise. Tetsuya Nomura's character designs have become predictable and boring. Moody character with impossible emo hair check, Bulky wise cracking character check, Innocent female character with a dark past check.

How about letting Eidos pick up where Grin left off with that Final Fantasy 12 Spin off or something similar to test the waters. It looked fairly promising from the footage.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/60246/neogaf-user-finds-final-fantasy-xii-spin-off-assets/
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby msbhvn » 28 Oct 2013, 18:50

I'd love a decent Final Fantasy game, now I'm back into JRPGs. From what I hear, Square just keep overreacting to fan feedback, try to make a game that pleases everyone and end up pleasing no one.

Maybe the HD remake of FF X and X-2 will be right up my street, since I never had a PS2?
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby CocaineCowboy77 » 28 Oct 2013, 21:44

"...a vocal minority of fans remain decidedly unconvinced by the focus on Lightning..."

What is your evidence to suggest they are a vocal minority?
CocaineCowboy77 1

Postby Ivan Simionato » 28 Oct 2013, 23:54

EIDOS... EIDOS WTF!!! :evil: :roll:
Please god remove the curse of blindness of Square, so it can see us gamers/fans of his games, imploring to be heard about the returning of the good stiles of JRPG's from past.
In my opinion FFXII was the last great game, FFXIII series is just good (but i really love Lightning and Sera), and FFXV its starting bad, since is a ACTION RPG.
Ivan Simionato 3

Postby JayBCobspiracy » 10 Nov 2013, 20:02

Square Enix as a company like to test out, improve and push boundaries, but they do like to do that by focusing on one main game.... which inevitably leads sometimes to big piles of poop... So on one hand... it's good, on the other.... very bad... I don't think it's worth passing over to another developer though.... what they need to do, is ask.. "do we need to create something new for this game"?.... I think 90% of the time, it doesn't...

After downloading the recent... 'Might & Magic' on games for gold.... I'd love to see a return to old flat down experience but with beautifully hand painted backdrops. The likes of the upcoming 'below' mixed with what square enix has 'learned' from their experiences... It's good to experiment.. but are they actually learning anything? Once they find something successful... they move on... I don't really understand that standpoint for a developer?
JayBCobspiracy 19