to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Take us back to when beards were briny

We enjoyed it, but Assassin's Creed 3 did some damage to the franchise's reputation. It traded in a charming Italian rogue for a virtuous, humourless brooder. Connor's earnest, ineloquent naivety made him an infuriating lead, who made you question your own motives for controlling him. Even his Templar dad was more charismatic, so much so that the opening hours as Haytham risked convincing players that we'd been fighting on the wrong side all along.... read more

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag Xbox 360

Postby fishclaws » 29 Oct 2013, 09:15

wow seems like its really improved and isn't just a mere clone
when the sun shines - i feel the urge to eat apples
fishclaws 29

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag Xbox 360

Postby Metalrodent » 29 Oct 2013, 09:19

Log wrote:I am a small person.

when taken out of context it makes me chuckle

ahem, anyway nice review an' all
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Grummy » 29 Oct 2013, 10:09

Could you tell us any more about Kenway's personal fleet, El Loggo? I've seen it mentioned in a few places, but I have no idea how it fits in, do we actually command fleets later on or do we get a number of ships that can follow us to sea and help us autonomously in battle?

Excellent review as always old chum.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Log » 29 Oct 2013, 10:27

Grummy wrote:Could you tell us any more about Kenway's personal fleet, El Loggo? I've seen it mentioned in a few places, but I have no idea how it fits in, do we actually command fleets later on or do we get a number of ships that can follow us to sea and help us autonomously in battle?

Sorry, Grummy - Kenway's fleet was locked off from me, thanks to Ubisoft's Servers being down during review. It's the same reason I couldn't review the multiplayer. We'll talk about that when we do our multiplayer update.
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Oct 2013, 10:28

Log wrote:I am a small person.

And judging by the new photo in the mag getting smaller :lol:

Nice review, sounds like a big improvement over AC3 and as this is one of my next gen launch titles I'm glad to see that
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 29 Oct 2013, 10:30

OXM Log wrote:
Grummy wrote:Could you tell us any more about Kenway's personal fleet, El Loggo? I've seen it mentioned in a few places, but I have no idea how it fits in, do we actually command fleets later on or do we get a number of ships that can follow us to sea and help us autonomously in battle?

Sorry, Grummy - Kenway's fleet was locked off from me, thanks to Ubisoft's Servers being down during review. It's the same reason I couldn't review the multiplayer. We'll talk about that when we do our multiplayer update.

That's both unusual and interesting. Are we to assume that the fleet is tied in with the multiplayer somehow?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Oct 2013, 10:33

I've played the first couple of hours, and the highlight for me is Kenway himself. He's exactly the right balance of cavalier and caring.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 29 Oct 2013, 10:34

OXM ETboy wrote:I've played the first couple of hours, and the highlight for me is Kenway himself. He's exactly the right balance of cavalier and caring.

Soooo.... Edwin me ol' china.....how's the combat :twisted:
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM Log » 29 Oct 2013, 10:41

fishclaws wrote:wow seems like its really improved and isn't just a mere clone

There's plenty of familiar stuff, mixed in with the new. But looking at AC3 and AC4 side by side, AC3 really feels like the stepping stone, and Black Flag the labour of love.
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Log » 29 Oct 2013, 10:48

Grummy wrote:
OXM ETboy wrote:I've played the first couple of hours, and the highlight for me is Kenway himself. He's exactly the right balance of cavalier and caring.

Soooo.... Edwin me ol' china.....how's the combat :twisted:

Very familiar to AC3, here. Incoming attacks flagged by !, block with B, then counter-attack with A, Y or X. Different enemies have different propensity to block (break guard with A), resist break guard (wait to attack, then counter), and the brutes even use the same "capture your wrist, headbutt you" animation from AC3. Nothing groundbreaking here, but you get sleep and berserk darts.

I'm always more of a fast-stealth man in these games, and AC4 worked perfectly for me in that respect. Silently sprint-killing two chaps is what I'm about. Still, there's no excuse for neglecting to mention this in the review, as boarding ships virtually forces large and chaotic scenes of melee combat. It's not my favourite thing about the game, but claustrophic camera moments aside, I had no problem with it
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Log » 29 Oct 2013, 11:00

Grummy wrote:That's both unusual and interesting. Are we to assume that the fleet is tied in with the multiplayer somehow?

I did ask about this at a preview event:

When you capture a ship, you're given the option of adding it to Kenway's fleet. What are the benefits of doing that?

If you're familiar with Assassin's Creed, there was this subgame where you could save Assassins, recruit them and send them around the world on little missions. With this, we mixed it with the ship combat - once you have your hideout, you can gather a fleet. Each time you take down a ship, you can send it to your fleet, and then you can use it to make money all round the world to make shipments, and there is also a mini-battle game you can take part in. It's just a minigame on the side, and it's also playable using the companion app, for phones and tablets.
OXM Log
OXM Staff

Postby Funkcase » 29 Oct 2013, 11:13

I'm surprised, I thought this would just be more of the same. Colour me interested.
Funkcase 26

Postby Grummy » 29 Oct 2013, 11:17

OXM Log wrote:
Very familiar to AC3, here. Incoming attacks flagged by !, block with B, then counter-attack with A, Y or X. Different enemies have different propensity to block (break guard with A), resist break guard (wait to attack, then counter), and the brutes even use the same "capture your wrist, headbutt you" animation from AC3. Nothing groundbreaking here, but you get sleep and berserk darts.

I'm always more of a fast-stealth man in these games, and AC4 worked perfectly for me in that respect. Silently sprint-killing two chaps is what I'm about. Still, there's no excuse for neglecting to mention this in the review, as boarding ships virtually forces large and chaotic scenes of melee combat. It's not my favourite thing about the game, but claustrophobic camera moments aside, I had no problem with it

That was actually meant as a little in joke between Ed and I (we've always argued about the AC combat) but I appreciate the information nonetheless as I did wonder about the ship melee. They look fun in the vids, but always struck me as being a little messy and awkward to navigate.

Hmm, so the fleets are just replacing the old Assassin team missions, makes sense really. Kinda disappointed it's not in the multiplayer though, massive ship battles could have been fun.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 29 Oct 2013, 11:23

Job well done Ubisoft!
Looking forward to getting my mitts on it.
I like the AC3 combat, it is somewhat more tactical than the counter-then-chain kills of Brotherhood and Revalations.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby vadersmyfather » 29 Oct 2013, 11:29

Are there any significant changes for the XBO version or is it a new sheen?
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Next