to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft slams the rumour-mongers - "it's like Xbox One has

Your comments on our articles.

Thirst for controversy is "clouding logic and reason", protests Penello

Xbox One has had a bit of a rough weekend, thanks to an outbreak of claims about buggy development kits, via Twitter and NeoGAF. Posting on Reddit, Microsoft's director of product planning Albert Penello and a "Confirmed Xbox One Dev" have hit back at what the former terms "the frenzy for news, drama and behind-the-scenes dealings".... read more

Postby fightclubdoll » 29 Oct 2013, 15:27

I'm a little disturbed by the anonymous dev's intimate knowledge of the travails of Britney Spears.
fightclubdoll 19

Re: Microsoft slams the rumour-mongers - "it's like Xbox One

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Oct 2013, 15:32

Perhaps she IS Britney Spears.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Neil H » 29 Oct 2013, 15:37

As a gamer, i've never hated the internet as much as I do right now :evil: The drama queens over on NeoGAF do make me chuckle though :lol:
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby TronZler » 29 Oct 2013, 15:53

Yeah well said,sums up the internet pretty well that. Maybe it should take the tagline from Alien an adapt it to 'In the Internet no-one can hear you scream' ? As thats what people who type all sorts of abuse should realise,no matter how many people are angry about something there,if you're not online to read it,it don't exist an the screams don't manage a whimper. An unfortunatly its all so true how one little lie can mothball into a raging fire within literally minutes,and until things like that change,gamers,tweeters,facebookers etc will always be looked upon as odd,an no wonder. :?

I vaguely know about the rumours thats referred here regarding the dude with the early developement kit but i was also aware "someone" from Microsoft was the one who told people the leaker had an early kit,something the leaker didn't let you know. I heard some P.C enthusiast talk about it and he wasn't very complimentary about the leaker or the leakers credibility,as i'm not personally tech minded,i took the P.C guys word for it.

Then yesterday here i noticed people talking about some COD rumour,and although i hadn't heard it i just thought this .. Isn't it a little late in the day for a rumour about COD considering its been shown on Xbox One from the very start? Don't you think if there was any credibility to this rumour it would have surfaced before now? You know the consoles launch in a few weeks right,don't you think thats too much of a coincidence? Scaremonguering pure an simple,at least,thats how I see it.

An considering it only takes seconds for a comment to go worldwide these days,you can't blame Microsoft or ANY company who doesn't rush out to calm your fears,they're not your parents an they're not having your baby! Calm down internet,geeeeez!?

My thoughts on the above aren't aimed at anyone here to be clear ok :)
TronZler 23

Postby stylon » 29 Oct 2013, 16:13

I agree with that - mostly. My only thinking is that considering how little time and effort it would take to tweet/blog a rebuttal to said rumour(s) - why hasn't someone done so? The COD one has been festering since last week - if I was Larry Hyrb or someone like that, and knew it was total bollox, I'd be posting 'don't believe the rumours, you'll be enjoying COD @ 1080p on launch day guys' and that would have been an end to it. I don't think it's doing anyone any favours by allowing such rumours to continue unchecked...
stylon 57

Postby northernmonkey75 » 29 Oct 2013, 16:16

I wish the release dates for both consoles would just hurry up. Getting a little sick of fan boy abuse the X1 seems to be getting at the moment, the PS4 looks a great machine but very few people have even seen one, never mind played one so until both machines are out, just wait and see instead of dismissing the X1. I read the comparrisons between BF4 on the two next generation consoles and it does look like the PS4 is the prettier of the versions, but that doesn't mean that the X1 version won't look fantastic, just that the PS4 has the edge and then there are other factors to consider, the interesting Kinect functions and online performance.

I don't believe for a second that the X1 couldn't have displayed te 1080P resolution, but I think given the rush and what sounds like a much easier machine to develop for compared to the PS3, they have been able to achieve this on the PS4.

If PS4 (or X1) owners think every game wil run at 1080 and 60fps they will be in for a shock, especially on cross platform games that are no longer developed for the current generation of consoles.
northernmonkey75 35

Postby Skipstream » 29 Oct 2013, 17:01

northernmonkey75 wrote:I wish the release dates for both consoles would just hurry up. Getting a little sick of fan boy abuse the X1 seems to be getting at the moment, the PS4 looks a great machine but very few people have even seen one, never mind played one so until both machines are out, just wait and see instead of dismissing the X1. I read the comparrisons between BF4 on the two next generation consoles and it does look like the PS4 is the prettier of the versions, but that doesn't mean that the X1 version won't look fantastic, just that the PS4 has the edge and then there are other factors to consider, the interesting Kinect functions and online performance.

I don't believe for a second that the X1 couldn't have displayed te 1080P resolution, but I think given the rush and what sounds like a much easier machine to develop for compared to the PS3, they have been able to achieve this on the PS4.

If PS4 (or X1) owners think every game wil run at 1080 and 60fps they will be in for a shock, especially on cross platform games that are no longer developed for the current generation of consoles.

I agree - been reading about BF4 on PS4 vs X1 this afternoon - I honestly thought the X1 version looked better on video than the PS4 version - I really did. I had to freeze frame it and go back and compare against different versions to see what they were on about. For me. basically, the only difference was that PS4 had better antialiasing than the X1 version - but you couldn't tell during video playback imo. Then again - some dude from Dice said that the review copy of BF4 on X1 did not have AO (some occlusion lighting effects or something) turned on yet but a patch had already fixed that going forward.

But I also agree with stylon though that says if someone wanted to easily crush the whole COD @ 1080p thing all it would take would be a tweet and it would shut it up. So either it's true or they're working their arses off trying to get it up to date. Sometimes wish these damn consoles weren't being released so close to each other - just 3 months apart would have stopped all this crap!

What I'd really really like is to have reviews of X1 exclusive launch games to be BEFORE release - just 3 days or so to help me make my mind up which one to get - Ryse or DR3 - can't afford both and think I'll be picking up BF4 based on current reviews or AC4 - just too many of them!
Skipstream 51

Postby b0dd1c3 » 29 Oct 2013, 17:26

Skipstream wrote:
northernmonkey75 wrote:I wish the release dates for both consoles would just hurry up. Getting a little sick of fan boy abuse the X1 seems to be getting at the moment, the PS4 looks a great machine but very few people have even seen one, never mind played one so until both machines are out, just wait and see instead of dismissing the X1. I read the comparrisons between BF4 on the two next generation consoles and it does look like the PS4 is the prettier of the versions, but that doesn't mean that the X1 version won't look fantastic, just that the PS4 has the edge and then there are other factors to consider, the interesting Kinect functions and online performance.

I agree - been reading about BF4 on PS4 vs X1 this afternoon - I honestly thought the X1 version looked better on video than the PS4 version - I really did. I had to freeze frame it and go back and compare against different versions to see what they were on about. For me. basically, the only difference was that PS4 had better antialiasing than the X1 version - but you couldn't tell during video playback imo. Then again - some dude from Dice said that the review copy of BF4 on X1 did not have AO (some occlusion lighting effects or something) turned on yet but a patch had already fixed that going forward.

But I also agree with stylon though that says if someone wanted to easily crush the whole COD @ 1080p thing all it would take would be a tweet and it would shut it up. So either it's true or they're working their arses off trying to get it up to date. Sometimes wish these damn consoles weren't being released so close to each other - just 3 months apart would have stopped all this crap!

What I'd really really like is to have reviews of X1 exclusive launch games to be BEFORE release - just 3 days or so to help me make my mind up which one to get - Ryse or DR3 - can't afford both and think I'll be picking up BF4 based on current reviews or AC4 - just too many of them!

I believe that Microsoft have a Xbox One an embargo until the 12th though that may just be call of duty, may see reviews 10 days before launch but then again we may not
b0dd1c3 39

Postby s17pur » 29 Oct 2013, 18:05

There are actually just as many 'screens' doing the rounds that indicated that the X1 version is superior, due to textures, like this one: http://i5.minus.com/jE7At2LOsCpig.png. The whole debate is just quite pointless.
s17pur 20

Postby Grummy » 29 Oct 2013, 18:23

stylon wrote:I agree with that - mostly. My only thinking is that considering how little time and effort it would take to tweet/blog a rebuttal to said rumour(s) - why hasn't someone done so? The COD one has been festering since last week - if I was Larry Hyrb or someone like that, and knew it was total bollox, I'd be posting 'don't believe the rumours, you'll be enjoying COD @ 1080p on launch day guys' and that would have been an end to it. I don't think it's doing anyone any favours by allowing such rumours to continue unchecked...

Because it's not about making single comments, it's the arguments that follow, they can take up a lot of time, plus anything they says can be spun as being lies or a cover up of some kind. It's like pissing in the wind. MS are better off just ignoring it then letting their machine speak for itself.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Skipstream » 29 Oct 2013, 21:58

Grummy wrote:
stylon wrote:I agree with that - mostly. My only thinking is that considering how little time and effort it would take to tweet/blog a rebuttal to said rumour(s) - why hasn't someone done so? The COD one has been festering since last week - if I was Larry Hyrb or someone like that, and knew it was total bollox, I'd be posting 'don't believe the rumours, you'll be enjoying COD @ 1080p on launch day guys' and that would have been an end to it. I don't think it's doing anyone any favours by allowing such rumours to continue unchecked...

Because it's not about making single comments, it's the arguments that follow, they can take up a lot of time, plus anything they says can be spun as being lies or a cover up of some kind. It's like pissing in the wind. MS are better off just ignoring it then letting their machine speak for itself.

They don't need to argue - they just need to say "Hey everyone, chill, COD is 1080p, same as PS4". The fact they're not....
Skipstream 51

Postby KernowDevil23 » 29 Oct 2013, 21:59

Skipstream wrote:They don't need to argue - they just need to say "Hey everyone, chill, COD is 1080p, same as PS4". The fact they're not....

......means jackshit?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby ChaoticP » 29 Oct 2013, 22:02

I just found out about Neogaf a few months ago, what is its purpose besides spreading rumors? All this news has given me a headache, I think I'll wait until the console launches like a reasonable person.
ChaoticP 52

Postby Skipstream » 29 Oct 2013, 22:15

KernowDevil23 wrote:
Skipstream wrote:They don't need to argue - they just need to say "Hey everyone, chill, COD is 1080p, same as PS4". The fact they're not....

......means jackshit?

....means they are hopefully getting the damn thing to 1080p :D
Skipstream 51

Postby cbaf » 29 Oct 2013, 23:22

OXM ETboy wrote:Perhaps she IS Britney Spears.

So it is a she?!
cbaf 19

Next