to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason hands-on - make way for Xbox

Your comments on our articles.

Down where it's wetter, that's where it's better

With Kinect Sports Rivals, Rare and Microsoft have achieved the all but impossible: they've cobbled together a family-friendly sports game that I actually want to play, for all my lingering adolescent suspicion of such trifles. In fact, I'm now very tempted to pick up a copy of the original Kinect Sports or Season Two, gesture-driven titles I'd snobbishly avoided in favour of conflicted "hardcore" sims like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armo(u)r or Fable: The Journey.... read more

Postby TronZler » 30 Oct 2013, 14:46

Didn't expect a review of the trial already,great to hear its not just me thats a possible conversion to this franchise. I wouldn't look in its direction before but the new improved Kinect has really changed that view for me. Good to hear also Ed,that your quite happy with how it works. I was only going to ask how many tracks there is but it seems thats not known at this point,when is the actual release date for the full game anyway,early 2014?
TronZler 23

Re: Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason hands-on - make way for X

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Oct 2013, 14:47

No worries old chap. This ain't a review, though - just a hands-on :)

It's out spring 2014, I believe.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TronZler » 30 Oct 2013, 14:51

Thanks for the swift response :)
TronZler 23

Postby northernmonkey75 » 30 Oct 2013, 14:59

I bought a Kinect on release and I think by about the end of 2011 I'd pretty much given up on it, but I have to say this sounds really good and making me glad that MS has stuck with it from all the praise it seems to be getting.

The launch for me is going to be pretty varied considering the usual lack of software on the launch of a new console, with this and Killer Instinct being free in a limited sort of way, my day one Fifa 14 and the 3 retail games I have pre-ordered (Forza 5, DR3 and Battlefield 4) and not forgetting a download of Crimson Dragon :)

Compare that to what I picked up at the 360's launch, Kameo, Call of Duty 2 (which was fantastic at the time) and a rather dissapointing PGR3 (compared to PGR2 that is)
northernmonkey75 30

Postby s17pur » 30 Oct 2013, 15:02

Has it been confirmed if the body scan feature is in the Preseason version?
s17pur 19

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Oct 2013, 15:03

I'm not sure. It wasn't in the demo build, but the code wasn't final.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Mantequ1lla » 30 Oct 2013, 15:54

Not sure if anybody will know the answer to this...

Will you be able to play this, and snap skype at the same time? Just wondered if the camera/hardware of kinect is capable?
Mantequ1lla 47

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Oct 2013, 15:55

You can snap anything to anything, I think. Might cause confusion, though!
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Mantequ1lla » 30 Oct 2013, 16:01

Thanks. I imagine seeing their reactions and giving them stick would be quite entertaining - a bit different to shouting at them down a headset!
Mantequ1lla 47

Postby games1master_uk » 02 Nov 2013, 18:01

Do you know what i have never liked mario kart after the snes copy... they were really bad so im not really holding up hope with this now
games1master_uk 50

Postby The Hulk » 06 Nov 2013, 01:02

Sorry to burst your bubble guys ! Played this at Eurogamer (got my Xbox lanyard and everything) and it played JUST LIKE a Kinect 1.0 game.....
1. You have to stand up.
2. Hold your hands in front of you like holding an imaginary Baton !
3. Still had to kick your leg back like a donkey to use the 'power boost'.
4.You still couldn't play it in the average bedroom like the wii it is still a front room affair!
5. And you still had to hope none of your friends are taking pictures or videos of you looking like you're stood at a urinal and up loading them to Facebook !

This tech isn't going to win over anyone who hated Kinect !

There are some positives though ! (Really)
1. The controls are much more responsive than Kinect 1.0.
2. The space needed was much more manageable than the Kinect 1.0.

So if you loved Kinect 1.0 you will be happy with this fun family game, if you hated Kinect 1.0 this won't change your mind!

I believe Microsoft dropped Kinect controls from Ryse because they know that Kinect controls don't work for gaming out side of 'Mini games' but see the tech as central as a control system for their smart TV vision.
I am more than happy to admit I'm wrong when a decent triple A title is released for the Kinect and although I enjoyed my games of Kinect Sports Rivals at Eurogamer expo it ain't no Mario Kart !
The Hulk 41