to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft considering adding in digital game gifting to the

Your comments on our articles.

Major Nelson confirms interest, but says it won't be available day one

Generous Xbox One owners may one day soon be able to give the gift of games without the need for wrapping paper and sticky tape, Microsoft has hinted over on Reddit.... read more

Microsoft considering adding in digital game gifting to the

Postby stylon » 31 Oct 2013, 12:50

Definitely want this feature - I want to go all-digital this gen so this would be the perfect solution to the problem that will arise come Christmas or Birthday time. Otherwise I was just going to ask everyone to give me xbox points (or whatever they're called now) so I can buy games myself.
stylon 48

Re: Microsoft considering adding in digital game gifting to

Postby bobknight1 » 31 Oct 2013, 13:02

This would be a useful feature, but it depends on the pricing.
bobknight1 30

Postby stylon » 31 Oct 2013, 13:46

Yeah pricing is the final piece of the puzzle that's still missing... If they charge high-street prices or lower I'm definitely in... If they're going to continue the practice of charging £10 more than you can buy stuff for in Game (never mind online) then I may have to re-consider the 'all-digital' idea... :?
stylon 48

Postby diggerd78 » 31 Oct 2013, 13:49

trouble with this is Microsoft suck at pricing games. Games that are 3 or 4 years old still sell for £49.99 which is ridiculous!
diggerd78 10

Postby SilentDark » 31 Oct 2013, 14:00

Well to be honest, since MS were pushing a digital future from the start why isn't this available from launch? The Wii could manage this, so I don't see why this wasn't in the strategy.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 2013, 14:05

SilentDark wrote:Well to be honest, since MS were pushing a digital future from the start why isn't this available from launch? The Wii could manage this, so I don't see why this wasn't in the strategy.

I think it was but it was one of the features dropped when everyone objected to the 24 hour check in and now they need to rethink how it'll work without that
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 31 Oct 2013, 14:11

But it's a digital copy, there is no real need for the DRM, and the Wii can do it, no DRM, all you need there is a friend code, so being able to purchase a digital copy of a game and giving it to someone on your friends list should really be child's play.
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 31 Oct 2013, 15:24

I maybe missing something here, but with a hard drive of only 500gb, having a pure digital game library will soon eat into that? current games are between 5-8gb approx then next gen is only going to get bigger in size, so surely that would mean having a HD maxed out at approx 45-50games? not to mention game saves, demos etc etc.

or am i missing something?

please dont shout at me.... :cry:
Bubblebeard JS 38

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 31 Oct 2013, 15:30

in theory yes it should be simple, but then it could also be prone to attack ie someone buying themselves a full library of games on some randomers account that has paypal.

also they really need to sort the pricing, i can buy new physical copies of older games cheaper than digital ones, and i still get a few quid back upon trade-in of said physical game. or if they allow some sort of trade in of licences for online store credit
GT: heart attak joe
Joe90_Remy700 44

Postby Maximus T » 31 Oct 2013, 15:40

Bubblebeard JS wrote:I maybe missing something here, but with a hard drive of only 500gb, having a pure digital game library will soon eat into that? current games are between 5-8gb approx then next gen is only going to get bigger in size, so surely that would mean having a HD maxed out at approx 45-50games? not to mention game saves, demos etc etc.

45-50 games is a lot to have installed at the same time, it's not like you will be regularly playing more than about 4 or 5 games at a time, before one of them makes way for a new one. So just uninstall the ones you aren't playing.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 31 Oct 2013, 15:47

Maximus T wrote:
Bubblebeard JS wrote:I maybe missing something here, but with a hard drive of only 500gb, having a pure digital game library will soon eat into that? current games are between 5-8gb approx then next gen is only going to get bigger in size, so surely that would mean having a HD maxed out at approx 45-50games? not to mention game saves, demos etc etc.

45-50 games is a lot to have installed at the same time, it's not like you will be regularly playing more than about 4 or 5 games at a time, before one of them makes way for a new one. So just uninstall the ones you aren't playing.

yeah but if your buying them all digitally from release day your not going to pay £45 for a new game play it and then delete it are you?? epsecially if it has multiplayer? otherwise what ths point in building a collection of digital games if you have to delete them to make way for a new one?
Bubblebeard JS 38

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 2013, 15:49

Even if you delete it you can still redownload it, just go into your download history
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 31 Oct 2013, 15:51

I think what you do is that it knows what games you have purchased so if you want it back you have the option to "Download Again"

And Cunning beat me to it.
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby games1master_uk » 31 Oct 2013, 16:10

Post deleted for reasons explained to the poster by Grummy

plus it makes Fish's response seem really random
games1master_uk 50

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 2013, 16:17

£7.20? Now that's value.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next