Xbox Live keeps signing me out?!?!

Got an Xbox 360 problem? No one else can help? You can find the answer here...

Xbox Live keeps signing me out?!?!

Postby Houga Allst » 18 Oct 2007, 14:24

Hi.. I've had a 360 for while now but have only recently dragged my backside into the 21st century on got t'internet at home. Allowing me to get onto Xbox live...

Why does Xbox live keep signing me out? It happens every 5-15 minutes. Although some nights I get completed uninterupted gaming.

Can someone advise?!?! Please!!
Houga Allst 1

Postby User removed » 18 Oct 2007, 14:45

Are you on a wireless network? You may need to alter the settings on your router.
I don't know that much about it, but I do know my wireless connection drops dramatically for about half a minute every half hour or so. I think its something to do with refreshing the IP or summin'. I use a network cable for my 360 because i think the wireless network adaper is a rip off.
User removed

Postby Houga Allst » 18 Oct 2007, 14:58

I'm wired up to my modem (is that the same as a router?).. I'm not very techie at all, just know how to play the console!!

Any help would be great - I'm sick and tired of getting booted out of games because of this.
Houga Allst 1

Postby User removed » 18 Oct 2007, 15:28

I am guessing that since you are wired up to your modem, that the 360 is the only thing connected to the internet (I have never heard of a modem that acts as a router, but you never know nowadays).

A router splits the internet connection several ways, so you can have the internet on like your computer and your console at the same time.

I don't see why you should be having this problem if you are connected straight to the modem by a cable. Perhaps you are getting a poor bandwidth from your Internet Service provider. I suggest phoning them and asking them about it.
User removed

Postby Houga Allst » 18 Oct 2007, 15:49

Ok, thanks will do... I have an 8Meg download speed. Thats good enough isnt it?? When I'm on the internet I have no connection / speed problems.

:?
Houga Allst 1

Postby User removed » 18 Oct 2007, 16:03

8meg is fine. Its what I have, although it seems to be more like 2meg :roll: . Have you checked to see if you have a faulty cable?
User removed

Postby EffEmmGee » 18 Oct 2007, 18:32

TheRealZOMBIE wrote:Are you on a wireless network? You may need to alter the settings on your router.
I don't know that much about it, but I do know my wireless connection drops dramatically for about half a minute every half hour or so. I think its something to do with refreshing the IP or summin'. I use a network cable for my 360 because i think the wireless network adapter is a rip off.

I am using the Wireless Network Adapter and never had any issues with it. I had to get one because we switched from BT to Orange broadband a few month back, only the router/modem we got from Orange only had 2 Ethernet ports on it. The stuff we now have connected to the modem are:

PC (Ethernet port 1)
Benjamin's 360 (Ethernet port 2)
My 360 (Wireless)
Benjamin's PSP (Wireless)
My PSP (Wireless)
Benjamin's DS (Wireless)
My DS (Wireless)

I did a comparison on signing into Xbox Live speed when I first got the Wireless dongle. You know when you manually sign into live and theres that mini basic pic of an upright 360 and a circle of dots that revolve around that? Well when I was using Ethernet the dots would do about 8-10 revolutions. Now I am wireless it tends to log me in in less than 1.

Also I have had people telling me via private chat that I don't break up as much and and much clearer to hear.

Well worth £50 in my opinion.

We are also on 8meg BB, but because our only option is ADSL (ie BB trough the phone line) we get 2.5meg+. Never had a problem with Lag or anything though. Plus 90% of the time we are using at least 2 things on the net at the same time (ie, 360 & PC, or 360 & 360...sometimes with extra PSP-age too lol)

As for the main topic issue here, I think I remember a few years ago we were having similar problems, I believe it was down to our isp (BT, I don't recommend them!).

After contacting Microsoft they said to contact BT and request:

The Gateway to be Reset for use on Xbox Live

and for the following ports to be opened:
UDP - 88
UDP - 3074
TCP - 3074

You can actually do this yourself if you are very techy by accessing your Router config page but if you're unsure then I wouldn't advise it, its too easy to mess it up yourself doing it that way. I did it myself but I kinda know what I am doing haha.
EffEmmGee 6

Postby User removed » 21 Oct 2007, 17:22

TheRealZOMBIE wrote:I am guessing that since you are wired up to your modem, that the 360 is the only thing connected to the internet (I have never heard of a modem that acts as a router, but you never know nowadays).

There are many routers which are both a modem and a router in one. BT Homehub is one example it is a modem with 2 ethernet sockets and allows multiple wireless connections.

I have found with the wireless connection that some games are quite laggy and I find it takes longer to auto sign into live plus from time to time I have lost connection to live through this way.
I feel ethernet is a much more stable connection and find it has better latency and is also better at steaming HD vids from PC.

I have my PC and 360 in same room, there are not far apart and there is nothing to block the signals, but seeing as they are so close I may aswell use the ethernet connection (you can't even see the wire in my setup)
User removed

Postby prezza » 26 Oct 2007, 17:58

you left BT to go with ORANGE?

Ive just left ORANGE to go with BT!

Already ive noticed a good speed increase, even though they are both 8meg, BT is quicker!

The reason i left orange was the ethernet ports on the livebox were faulty/worn-we have had the live box for about 2 years!!

So i rang em to see if they would replace/repair it, but they said not without signing to a new 12 month contract!

Now i hardly had problems with ORANGE previously, but just before this ethernet port issue, i started to get huge speed drops, my 8 meg would often drop to less than 1meg, and the 448k upstream i had, had strangely dropped to 248k!!

Anyhoo, they wouldnt replace or repair the live box so i got my mac code and waved them bye bye!!
prezza 1