You don't need to own studios to make great games, argues Xb

Your comments on our articles.

"For better or worse I'm not fixated on that," says Phil Spencer

Buying up developers willy-nilly to ensure the largest possible headcount doesn't equate to having a great exclusive line-up, Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer has claimed, pointing to that fruitful rapport with Epic as evidence that partnering with third party publishers is no less valid a tactic.... read more

You don't need to own studios to make great games, argues Xb

Postby games1master_uk » 31 Oct 2013, 16:07

Deleterooney - please see my comment below - Grummy
games1master_uk 52

Re: You don't need to own studios to make great games, argue

Postby Grummy » 31 Oct 2013, 16:10

OK, y'know what, it's one thing to talk about the resolution issue on relevant pages, but it's not relevant here at all, so from here on out everyone just keep those discussions where they belong please.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby games1master_uk » 31 Oct 2013, 16:29

Deleterooney.
games1master_uk 52

Postby Grummy » 31 Oct 2013, 16:34

games1master_uk wrote:Deleterooney.

I will repeat something I've already said to you, I know you're bothered by it and want to say so, that's fine, but keep it to the relevant threads, this one has nothing to do with that subject and all you are doing is spamming it. I'm just trying to keep the place tidy, please don't keep bringing this conversation into places where it's not needed, it's not as if people will miss your comments if they're in a relevant thread after all.

And yeah, before you ask, if I need to I'll keep deleting posts until this place gets in order again.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby games1master_uk » 31 Oct 2013, 16:36

Delteraymondvanbarneveld

Your point my stand, just plop it on its legs in the right place please and we'll be all good, cheers - Grummy.
games1master_uk 52

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 2013, 16:37

I always thought DeleteVanPersie was a better striker.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby games1master_uk » 31 Oct 2013, 16:41

Mind u now i know what thread it is i wish they bought up bizzare i miss the pgr games they were awesome
games1master_uk 52

Postby Skipstream » 01 Nov 2013, 10:18

There wasn't 1 relevant comment which is a shame as I enjoy reading relevant comments! (bar last one ;-)

Anyway - I feel that I would take his comments even further and state that it is imperative that you have plenty of 3rd party games. These drive the platforms forward NOT first party. Look at Nintentdo - some of the best first party games ever but due to a distinct lack of 3rd party......

While yes, we can all agree (without going on about pixels!!!) that first party games get the best out of machines a lot of the time, but nearly all my fave titles have been 3rd party - (looking at you BF, GTA and Skyrim!!)
Skipstream 52

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Nov 2013, 10:32

Skipstream wrote:There wasn't 1 relevant comment which is a shame as I enjoy reading relevant comments! (bar last one ;-)

Anyway - I feel that I would take his comments even further and state that it is imperative that you have plenty of 3rd party games. These drive the platforms forward NOT first party. Look at Nintentdo - some of the best first party games ever but due to a distinct lack of 3rd party......

While yes, we can all agree (without going on about pixels!!!) that first party games get the best out of machines a lot of the time, but nearly all my fave titles have been 3rd party - (looking at you BF, GTA and Skyrim!!)

I think you need a good balance. As you say the first party titles often make the best use of the features available (after all they're trying to showcase them) but too many and you end up in Nintendo's shoes where there isn't enough variety, but by the same token 3rd party titles often fail to do anything imaginative as they are usually cross platform and therefore designing for the features that are common rather than unique. Get the balance right and you get first party showing what's possible and getting third party developers excited to use the unique features.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator