to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Halloween Special: the eight most horrifying moments in horr

Your comments on our articles.

Trick or treat? Hmm. Can we get back to you on that?

Halloween is happening, and in one of our trademark flashes of undiluted originality, we've been pondering a few of the videogames that make our skins crawl. That's "skin-scrawling" in a very subjective sense, obviously - Ed occasionally flees from the sight of his own reflection, so he's perhaps not the best measure of a game's horror potential.... read more

Halloween Special: the eight most horrifying moments in horr

Postby PCG The_B » 31 Oct 2013, 17:23

My own choice would be (though it's not Xbox related) the Grand Ocean House Hotel in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines on the PC.

I'm supposed to be a Vampire. A creature of the night, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE SCARY :( Yet the unnerving slow sense of dread you get from moments like the laundry room where you read about a grisly murder and an open machine daring you to have a look at it gradually builds until you're basically brown-trousering it out of there as fast as you can.

A close second - and this one was on Xbox too- The Cradle from Thief 3: Deadly Shadows ARGHGHGAHGHGHGHGHGH
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 65

Re: Halloween Special: the eight most horrifying moments in

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 2013, 17:32

PCG The_B wrote:My own choice would be (though it's not Xbox related) the Grand Ocean House Hotel in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines on the PC.

I'm supposed to be a Vampire. A creature of the night, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE SCARY :( Yet the unnerving slow sense of dread you get from moments like the laundry room where you read about a grisly murder and an open machine daring you to have a look at it gradually builds until you're basically brown-trousering it out of there as fast as you can.

A close second - and this one was on Xbox too- The Cradle from Thief 3: Deadly Shadows ARGHGHGAHGHGHGHGHGH

The Hotel in Vampire had me virtually changing my trousers! Why can't we have an update/remake/spiritual sequel to that game?
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby EdDeRs1 » 31 Oct 2013, 17:34

I always used to find Alyeid Ruins in Oblivion scary, especially if they were ones I entered out of sheer curiosity, most of this came from the overpowered enemies I had a habit of encountering inside, those headless zombies give me the creeps, and the wrights, oh gods...
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby Grummy » 31 Oct 2013, 18:59

Dunwich building in Fallout 3 is creepy as hell, as is the 'Gaaaary' vault. Worst for me though, it was a glitch but it had me shitting an absolute brick, again in Fallout 3, was when I was in the Ant nest doing a mission to scan the giant ants and as I was leaving, the queen teleported right in front of me. I was in a small corridor leading to the exit and this huge giant ant queen just suddenly appeared in front of me, filling up the majority of my TV screen, a 50" TV as well, so she was frigging enormous. It scared the crap out outta me. I was sat on my chair with my toes girling up screaming lightly 'Arrrgh arrgh arrggh WHAT THE F**K'.

Good times.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 31 Oct 2013, 19:19

That corridor scene from FEAR 2 messed me up, though the rest of the game wasn't overly scary for the most part - the uber tense and creepy child stalking of the first will always be scarier.

Agree with Grum on tha gaaaaary vault *shudders*

I'd also like to say the flood levels from Halo 2, sure I was young at the time but I found them really creepy, the huge amounts of green fog, the long periods of silence in empty bloodstained corridors and the unrelenting soudtrack of whispers and deep choral singing - not to mention the flood themselves
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Bezza89 » 31 Oct 2013, 20:42

<deleted>. (Just saw the warning about thread derailing ha, I'm keeping my bad joke)

Ahem.

I would say the flood in Halo 1 scared the bejesus out of me, they were so relentless and ugly, and the levels were perfectly paced (not the library, mind) with a great score - you genuinely feared every encounter.

Bioshock was creepy as hell to play through too. Resident Evil 2 when I was 9... Nothing is really scary though, like dead space - sure the atmosphere is great but there's nothing scary about it, everything is predictable, more so on another playthrough, more games should adopt AI directors like L4Ds. Use Kinect scanning to monitor how uncomfortable you are. Then BAM.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 2013, 20:49

Bezza89 wrote:<deleted>. (Just saw the warning about thread derailing ha, I'm keeping my bad joke)

No you're not ;)
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 31 Oct 2013, 20:59

:cry:

For the record it was the best joke in the world!
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 2013, 21:01

Bezza89 wrote::cry:

For the record it was the best joke in the world!

It was actually a very good joke, and if you cracked it about three hours ago it would still be there. As they say, the secret to good comedy is timing :lol:
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 31 Oct 2013, 21:27

But, but but but I was at work though, give me a break cunning, I had people to moan to. Managers mostly.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby dfused » 31 Oct 2013, 22:15

condemned scared the crap out of me.. as did silent hill 2. Looking forward to seeing what the next generation will bring in the way of scares, the horror game genre is in need of some genuine innovation now... maybe the new kinect will offer something up?
One and a half years have passed.. yet I'm still angry that my girlfriend wouldn't let me name our son Sonic
dfused 47

Postby xPearse » 31 Oct 2013, 22:36

Yea condemned is awesome, favourite part is at the end of the game where your in a dark house with homeless people running around inside, you sit all quiet and hear their footsteps and then they run up in your face out of the darkness but not the sequel which is horrible.

I don't really agree with Silent Hill 2 being scary and playing it in the dark doesn't count, COD probably scary playing in the dark. Sitting there quiet with a sniper and then suddenly someone knifes you in the dark making you scream your lungs out, anyway pyramid head isn't scary but thing is way more by far....... nemesis from resident evil 3 and need I say more than that.
xPearse 26

Postby JCHN » 01 Nov 2013, 11:21

Does this feature count as a review of Nickolodeon's TMNT game??? :D
JCHN 56

Postby Funkcase » 01 Nov 2013, 14:42

The first time I played a PlayStation game when I must have been about seven, Silent Hill 1. My friend tricked me into playing it; it was his older brothers. He turned off the lights, left the room and me alone with the game. I had no idea it was a horror game....you can imagine a seven year olds reaction to the game! I played up until that bird like creature came through the diner window after the horrific, demonic sounds of the radio chatter. I chucked the controller at the tv :lol: :oops:
Funkcase 26

Postby Skipstream » 02 Nov 2013, 11:41

Dogs coming through the window in the original Resident Evil game, think I played it on pc. Original kid at top of the ladder in original FEAR.

For Xbox I recall the first BioShock scared the crap out of me at times. Alan Wake had some scary moments.

Oh and I need copious amounts of alcohol to pick up the courage to play Dance Central! ...hideous, urgh.
Skipstream 47

Next