to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Killer Instinct: how a Rare antique became Xbox One's premie

Your comments on our articles.

"What we saw was a beloved game that we all would die to work on."

Killer Instinct is a legend, albeit a minor one. Like genre mates Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat before it, Rare's fighting game broke new ground on release. When it appeared in arcades in 1994, it was the first to use an internal hard drive in addition to standard arcade ROMs, and the first to use pre-rendered 3D character models and background movies - which gave it a weight and physicality that left jaws agape. It was a taste of the future.... read more

Killer Instinct: how a Rare antique became Xbox One's premie

Postby TheHypocrite07 » 02 Nov 2013, 09:29

Now if only microsoft would bring back other great rare games like conker's, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie, I could be happy. So much great IP being wasted
TheHypocrite07 14

Re: Killer Instinct: how a Rare antique became Xbox One's pr

Postby Confused Johnny » 02 Nov 2013, 17:02

Im proper excited for this game, but despite being a reboot/rehash/re-imagining its still a "franchise" i know well. On 22nd November im looking to get into new franchises (my console comes with forza 5, i have fifa 14 pre ordered and my partner getting me BF4), so i think despite my excitement this may become a quick half hour blaster here and there, which is a shame as Killer Instinct on the N64 especially i spent hours and hours and hours (it had nothing to do with Orchids attire, thank you very much)
Confused Johnny 18

Postby Kalimal » 03 Nov 2013, 16:51

The level of love and detail being put into each character is evident and as of yet have not selected my favorite but am leaning towards mastering Thunder. Glad I got this for day one and will be playing it with that sweet fight stick
Kalimal 6

Postby danhalen74 » 04 Nov 2013, 12:52

ive played it., fairly standard 2d beat em up with a nice lick of paint on it. usual SFII special moves. nowt to write home about. fans if the original will like it.
danhalen74 44

Postby Confused Johnny » 11 Nov 2013, 23:38

Yeah, i played it at Eurogamer expo few weeks back with the fight sticks, really enjoyed it. My mate did as well, and he isnt a fight fan tbh, he took a liking to Thunder whereas i played better with Sabrewolf. Glacius looked meaty in the right hands as well.

I might just use my rewards credits each deposit to purchase a new fighter (or put the rewards credits towards cost).

Been checking my emails religiously with fingers crossed since MS started giving out free K.I to people, hoping im one of the chosen few, but alas no such luck.
Confused Johnny 18