to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

DICE: Xbox One and PS4 have "more things in common" than Xbo

Your comments on our articles.

"It's much easier to develop and to deliver on five platforms, which is good for us."

In news that will surely admit of absolutely no controversy or upset, Battlefield 4's executive producer Patrick Bach has suggested that there's not as much clear blue water between Xbox One and PS4 as between Xbox 360 and PS3. Somebody fetch the fire extinguisher while I board up the office windows, please.... read more

DICE: Xbox One and PS4 have "more things in common" than Xbo

Postby Maximus T » 04 Nov 2013, 11:37

Oh! Controversial me thinks.
Interesting quotes from the article:
"Even on an extremely high level, I think they have more things in common," Bach told MMGN in an interview last week. "It's much easier to develop and to deliver on five platforms, which is good for us."

both consoles now offer an x86 architecture

It's not like PS4 or Xbox One are particularly hard to develop for. Quite the opposite: you can make whatever you want on either one, and that should be enough for anyone."
#browns
Maximus T 62

Re: DICE: Xbox One and PS4 have "more things in common" than

Postby Skipstream » 04 Nov 2013, 12:18

Oh God, not another one. Why would he start all this crap up and just open themselves up to criticism over the obvious. I made the mistake to browse IGN the other day and the comments on some of the VS articles are just awful - so full of hate. Anyone would think console choice was on a par with siding with Allies vs Axis. Awful - just awful - the language and vitriolic effluence that their comments were swimming in was disgusting. I have no idea why there is so much hate and anger over console choice.
Skipstream 47

Postby Abe hikura » 04 Nov 2013, 12:26

It doesn't matter what has most power or which's go faster strip is wider, it's all about the developers skill. Look at some early 360 games gears 1 VS 3 or look to things like resident evil revelations on 3ds, peace walker on PSP or dead trigger 2 on Android.

Side not the 1080p vs 720p upscaled argument is pointless seen this morning I saw an Sony add for their 4K TV. Whilst it'll still be a while before there in peoples homes and neither box can output an game in 4k, but soon enough 4k monitors will be out then the graphics cards 4x current power just to produce the same game in 4k. Basicly the argument shouldn't be 1080p vs 720p upscaled it should be HD vs super HD and where its worth it
Abe hikura 46

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 04 Nov 2013, 13:09

i know there has been some discussions about htis over a few of the other topics, but id like someone to clarify if possible,
CAN THE XBONE RUN AT1080p?

this makes no difference to the will i get it or not issue, but id like to know that it at least can, and if so why are the developers chooseing to downgrade the pixel count on just the xbox one.
Bubblebeard JS 38

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Nov 2013, 13:12

Bubblebeard JS wrote:i know there has been some discussions about htis over a few of the other topics, but id like someone to clarify if possible,
CAN THE XBONE RUN AT1080p?

this makes no difference to the will i get it or not issue, but id like to know that it at least can, and if so why are the developers chooseing to downgrade the pixel count on just the xbox one.

Forza 5 is native 1080p, so yes.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 04 Nov 2013, 13:16

thanks for the reply, but why are battlefield 4 and ghosts all scalled up to 1080p? and not running native?
Bubblebeard JS 38

Postby modern_epic » 04 Nov 2013, 13:26

Bubblebeard JS wrote:thanks for the reply, but why are battlefield 4 and ghosts all scalled up to 1080p? and not running native?

im also looking clarity on this. If forza can run 1080p 60fps then why havent dice made this possible for battlefield on the xbox?

Realistically when you are charging the exact same for the game on both consoles then why wouldnt you at least be sure both games offer the same level of experience?
modern_epic 13

Postby Skipstream » 04 Nov 2013, 13:28

Bubblebeard JS wrote:thanks for the reply, but why are battlefield 4 and ghosts all scalled up to 1080p? and not running native?

Who the heck knows - the developers are tight lipped - it's discussed at length here
http://www.oxm.co.uk/65183/call-of-duty ... -to-1080p/

Basically though no one really knows - to me it would seem the One is not as easy to programme at this point at these resolutions. Dice etc. have not had long with dev kits whereas I reckon the Forza team have had a lot longer. But we all know the PS4 has more muscle out the box - the One will catch up quick enough as improved drivers come out and the devs get used to it I'm sure. MS are primarily software company so will make it up there.

Saying that - totally unbiased here as getting both on launch - I would say the One looks a lot nicer on BF4 than PS4 - the upscaling is a lot better I reckon than PS4. Better textures on the One imo. Anwway - I'm rambling and this post will no doubt get moved/deleted ;-) as the post above is where to discuss this I think.

Can't wait for 22nd myself.
Skipstream 47

Postby modern_epic » 04 Nov 2013, 13:32

Skipstream wrote:

Who the heck knows - the developers are tight lipped - it's discussed at length here

Basically though no one really knows - to me it would seem the One is not as easy to programme at this point at these resolutions. Dice etc. have not had long with dev kits whereas I reckon the Forza team have had a lot longer. But we all know the PS4 has more muscle out the box - the One will catch up quick enough as improved drivers come out and the devs get used to it I'm sure. MS are primarily software company so will make it up there.

Saying that - totally unbiased here as getting both on launch - I would say the One looks a lot nicer on BF4 than PS4 - the upscaling is a lot better I reckon than PS4. Better textures on the One imo. Anwway - I'm rambling and this post will no doubt get moved/deleted ;-) as the post above is where to discuss this I think.

this is the only report ive seen saying that bf4 looks nicer on the xbox, and i really hope thats true. Though either way im not fussed as Im gettin the xbox regardless
modern_epic 13

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 04 Nov 2013, 13:36

Skipstream wrote:

well if you have seen both consoles and you reckon its better on the one, then thats all ineeded to hear. im aso excited i wont be going to sleep on the 21st im going to sit in my porch and wait for the amazon delivery driver to deliver my precious cargo!!!
Bubblebeard JS 38

Postby Bedsidelee » 04 Nov 2013, 14:30

Maximus T wrote:Oh! Controversial me thinks.
Interesting quotes from the article:
"Even on an extremely high level, I think they have more things in common," Bach told MMGN in an interview last week. "It's much easier to develop and to deliver on five platforms, which is good for us."

both consoles now offer an x86 architecture

It's not like PS4 or Xbox One are particularly hard to develop for. Quite the opposite: you can make whatever you want on either one, and that should be enough for anyone."

That is why they can't run BF4 at 1080p because of the Esram & Ps4 can , Ps4 can't box One can't .
Bedsidelee 5

Postby Chameleon1977 » 04 Nov 2013, 14:35

Bedsidelee wrote:That is why they can't run BF4 at 1080p because of the Esram & Ps4 can , Ps4 can't box One can't .

PS4 runs BF4 at 900p, actually (yes, I know X1 is only 720p). Now, stop posting this in every thread you can possibly find, and go play in the "CoD:Ghosts on X1 is 720p" thread. Or traffic, whichever works for you.
Chameleon1977 46

Postby Bedsidelee » 04 Nov 2013, 14:51

Chameleon1977 wrote:
Bedsidelee wrote:That is why they can't run BF4 at 1080p because of the Esram & Ps4 can , Ps4 can't box One can't .

PS4 runs BF4 at 900p, actually (yes, I know X1 is only 720p). Now, stop posting this in every thread you can possibly find, and go play in the "CoD:Ghosts on X1 is 720p" thread. Or traffic, whichever works for you.

Pardon Boss I'am keeping my Xbox 360 just not updating to a console that is over priced for what a kinect , you need to go read more about the console you're buying Boss .
I have read this mag from the original Xbox days so what right to do you have Sir none what so ever it is a free country to say what you want & if you can't dig that then more fool you Sir because at the moment you're not making any sense telling me what to do , the site as been updated great job , bye .
Bedsidelee 5

Postby Twilight Error » 04 Nov 2013, 16:28

Abe hikura wrote:Whilst it'll still be a while before there in peoples homes and neither box can output an game in 4k, but soon enough 4k monitors will be out then the graphics cards 4x current power just to produce the same game in 4k.

I recall reading that the XB1 does in fact support 4K monitors. Strange that the PS4 does not support 4K, considering Sony is making the darn things.
Twilight Error 39

Postby Skipstream » 04 Nov 2013, 16:49

It's nothing to do with the ESRAM imo (and it's just that, an opinion). I, like many others, have seen all the videos of PS4/One BF4 videos and it's just my opinion that I prefer the One version - while it doesn't have the PS4 900p resolution I just think it looks better, cleaner, brighter, blacker (where appropriate) and the textures more refined.

I think this is the PS4 upscaling not being as good as One's (I think) and while the PS4 definitely has better antialiasing that's it as far as I'm concerned. Both look great in motion so I will get it for the One because I prefer the MS live eco system.

Both consoles are great and if you're luck enough to get a PPI claim come through last week (yey me!) then you get can get both ;-)

That way I get to play Naughty Dog games too (though my wife will probably blow a fit when she realises the PS4 is NOT going up on eBay for Xmas funds :D
Skipstream 47

Next