to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Call of Duty: Ghosts cutscene mirrors Modern Warfare 2 cutsc

Your comments on our articles.

Is Infinity Ward paying tribute, or just being over-economical?

Here's a thing: a cutscene from Call of Duty: Ghosts appears to exactly replicate the motion capture and camera angles (though not the assets and textures) of part of the ending sequence from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.... read more

Postby Neil H » 06 Nov 2013, 12:35

Hmmm....IW / Activision needs a serious boot up the arse before the next installment drops - time for a long overdue overhaul.
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 06 Nov 2013, 12:39

I think Call Of Duty has bigger 'regurgitation' issues than this. I'm also pretty sure that if I looked hard enough, I could find more scenes like this in lots of franchises. I don't think it's a homage, I think it's the same scene repackaged but as I said, if we're talking Call Of Duty, and if we're talking repackaging the same thing from one game to the next, then there are bigger issues than this.

It's still interesting, though, to my nerdy-gamer sensibilities. :)
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts cutscene mirrors Modern Warfare 2 c

Postby battfink83 » 06 Nov 2013, 12:56

Ive said it before, IW are down right lazy. Such a shame they used to be one of the better devs. They have used and reused art assest, level designs and more in the past. A simple google search should back me up. Ive seen many posts in many forums by eagle eyed fans proving this. Tch tch
battfink83 47

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Nov 2013, 13:09

battfink83 wrote:Ive said it before, IW are down right lazy. Such a shame they used to be one of the better devs. They have used and reused art assest, level designs and more in the past. A simple google search should back me up. Ive seen many posts in many forums by eagle eyed fans proving this. Tch tch

In fairness the IW that currently exists bares very little relation to the one that created the first Modern Warfare. Most of them ended up at Respawn, so hopefully Titanfall will end up made by "one of the better devs"
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Nov 2013, 13:17

Can you really offer up an homage to yourself without seeming arrogant? Seems more like a joke to me about re-used assets.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby battfink83 » 06 Nov 2013, 13:34

CunningSmile wrote:
battfink83 wrote:Ive said it before, IW are down right lazy. Such a shame they used to be one of the better devs. They have used and reused art assest, level designs and more in the past. A simple google search should back me up. Ive seen many posts in many forums by eagle eyed fans proving this. Tch tch

In fairness the IW that currently exists bares very little relation to the one that created the first Modern Warfare. Most of them ended up at Respawn, so hopefully Titanfall will end up made by "one of the better devs"

Exactly what im hoping for. Titanfall looks great so far, but I guess we'll have to wait for Titanfall 2 to see if tbe better devs are are at respawn? Lol.
battfink83 47

Postby voodoo1102 » 06 Nov 2013, 13:52

Like IW are the only developer to reuse assets. Capcom don't get moaned at for reusing Ryu's Hadouken animation every Street Fighter. But then its not fashionable to hate Capcom...

I'm not saying the franchise doesnt need an overhaul, but after seeing endless posts everywhere that boil down to "COD sux!!!1", I'm wondering exactly what it is that people find so abhorent about competent, relatively bug-free games that many of the haters havent even played.
voodoo1102 35

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Nov 2013, 14:35

voodoo1102 wrote:Like IW are the only developer to reuse assets. Capcom don't get moaned at for reusing Ryu's Hadouken animation every Street Fighter. But then its not fashionable to hate Capcom...

Actually I think it is quite fashionable. God knows they deserve it for resident evil 6 alone
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Metalrodent » 06 Nov 2013, 14:52

That's hilariously lazy, if they actually think that's a tribute then they need to rethink
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Skipstream » 06 Nov 2013, 15:08

I wouldn't say lazy, more economical. I mean come on, the writer has a scene where someone is helped up and aided into a helicopter. They have all this motion capture stuff from the past x years and someone, rightly so, says, 'we can re-use that segment of motion capture for this scene'. The fact anyone has noticed amazes me to be honest. They've put new textures on it so, well, SFW? If anyone here truly thinks that developers don't re-use assets from game to game (cross franchise too) then you're all mistaken. It's common, some 'hide' it better than others. I just don't get the complaint about re-using of assets, especially expensive stuff like motion capture.
Skipstream 47

Postby Mendes » 06 Nov 2013, 15:23

voodoo1102 wrote:Like IW are the only developer to reuse assets. Capcom don't get moaned at for reusing Ryu's Hadouken animation every Street Fighter. But then its not fashionable to hate Capcom...

I'm not saying the franchise doesnt need an overhaul, but after seeing endless posts everywhere that boil down to "COD sux!!!1", I'm wondering exactly what it is that people find so abhorent about competent, relatively bug-free games that many of the haters havent even played.

Whether or not it's regurgitation or homage, it will have saved them a good few days development time and therefore a lot of money. But I think fairly slack either way. GTA V, regardless of the problems Rockstar have had getting their product stable, deserved to hold on to the sales record.

Oh Voodoo, for your information, COD does SUX! And yes I am a hater and no, I haven't played it! I don't need to, I played one of them 4 or 5 games back. Just my opinion of course, I used to love it, I understand why the franschise has so many fans, but they'll all move on, like I have, eventually.

Unless the team working on the next 3 installments pull their fingers out and do something fresh.
Mendes 34

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 06 Nov 2013, 15:49

FishyGinger wrote:

Actually I think it is quite fashionable. God knows they deserve it for resident evil 6 alone

Yep. Anyone who really thinks Capcom aren't getting it right in the you-know-whats from all kinds of angles is wrong. Theres the UMVC3, Final Fight, unnecesary Streetfighter games, the Devil May Cry reboot, teasing fans with a possible Mega-Man and then saying they weren't making another one after all, the Resi series is going right down the tubes, and these are just off the top of my head some things the players and fans are upset about.

Capcom employees are being fired over their conduct in fan forums. They're releasing DLC after DLC but no patches for game-breaking bugs, but, when someone found a way to get those stupid costume DLC's for free from one of their fighting games - what do you think Capcom did? - That's right: They patched it IMMEDIATELY.

Capcom are one of the worst examples of modern games publishers and the underhanded tricks of the trade they employ and fans are showing them their displeasure in no uncertain terms.
Last edited by wotsahotspotnot on 06 Nov 2013, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 06 Nov 2013, 16:00

The Devil May Cry Reboot is the only game (to the best of my knowledge) that Capcom has released in that last year that didn't actually suck. I don't care what people say it was a very good game and can stand proudly with the previous DMC games...except 2...the less said about it the better.

Also Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen was great but then it was more of a re-release than a new game entirely.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby battfink83 » 06 Nov 2013, 16:05

voodoo1102 wrote:But then its not fashionable to hate Capcom....

of course not, people love paying full price for a game, then are expected to shell out massive amounts of cash for the extra costumes that were originally in the game...... :shock:
battfink83 47

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 06 Nov 2013, 16:08

Johnbhoy69 wrote:The Devil May Cry Reboot is the only game (to the best of my knowledge) that Capcom has released in that last year that didn't actually suck. I don't care what people say it was a very good game and can stand proudly with the previous DMC games...except 2...the less said about it the better.

Also Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen was great but then it was more of a re-release than a new game entirely.

The game which was farmed out to Ninja Theory, I think it was, so Capcom didn't even make it. But though I've played it a little, I don't own it and I have never been a big DMC fan, anyway. I never saw what others saw in it, save for it's style and pizazz. I do have the DD Dark Arisen game and yes, it's good. But I have to say, I remember a time when Capcom were head and shoulders above pretty much everyone. When you knew: If it was Capcom, it was usually great.

The point is that Capcom are being given hell, right now. It IS fashionable to bash Capcom. More than fashionable, it is very often justified.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Next