to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

All hardware "has constraints" - Ryse developer chips in on

Your comments on our articles.

"When it comes down to it, every project has their own cross to bear"

"Resolutiongate" is the hot topic that just keeps on giving, but there's only so much you can tell from the cold, hard numbers, Ryse's game design director PJ Estevez told OXM at a preview event this week.... read more

All hardware "has constraints" - Ryse developer chips in on

Postby Thos. » 08 Nov 2013, 13:21

Whenever I play an FPS on my creaking iMac, I'll always turn the resolution right down, and max out the texture and lighting effects. It just makes sense that way. After just a few moments the resolution doesn't even notice, but if it was set the other way around there's no way your brain could 'create' better textures and lighting.
Thos. 43

Re: All hardware "has constraints" - Ryse developer chips in

Postby Skipstream » 08 Nov 2013, 13:36

I'm bored over all this resolution sh**e now - just release them all!! 2 weeks seems a long way away. However, being in my 40's with kids I'm not allowed to 'wish my life away'. I may miss magical fairy hugging moments my wife tells me.

Well, it's f***ing cold, blowing a gale, my teenage daughter treats me like a taxi 24/7, so forgive me for secretly wishing the next 2 weeks away until the dawn of the 22nd actually!

</Victor Meldrew moment.>
Skipstream 47

Postby stylon » 08 Nov 2013, 14:41

Have to say I'm really impressed with how Ryse is looking now - appears to have the combat system of an 18 Rated Batman and an almost photo realistic take on ancient Rome. This and the new dash demo has really got my interest level dialled up to 11 now. Ignoring all the resolutiongate BS now - it's a waste of time, neither side will ever see the others point of view so why bother - I just want the games now :)

Also secretly wishing away the next 13 days and 10 hours of my life :lol:
stylon 48

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 08 Nov 2013, 15:57

Despite Cytek completely missing the point of why some people are interested in and affected by this (or more likely seeing it all too well but sidestepping it), despite the fact that this is Crytek who are actually going along with MS's ''resolution doesn't matter'' line of reasoning - Crytek, probably the biggest graphics whores in game development - Ryse nevertheless looks magnificent and shows that the X1 is still going to be a console that can impress, visually.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby happpydays » 08 Nov 2013, 17:37

wotsahotspotnot wrote:Despite Cytek completely missing the point of why some people are interested in and affected by this (or more likely seeing it all too well but sidestepping it), despite the fact that this is Crytek who are actually going along with MS's ''resolution doesn't matter'' line of reasoning - Crytek, probably the biggest graphics whores in game development - Ryse nevertheless looks magnificent and shows that the X1 is still going to be a console that can impress, visually.

is still going to be a console that can visualy impress? why was it never going too ? i got caught in the res thing for a moment but the truth is the xbox 1 is a amazing piece of kit and with the cloud system being able too free of space on the hardware too me its an exciting console, the new kinect is well fantastic ,i alone could think of some games that would work a treat with voice command .honestly for me theres nothing that attracts me too ps 4 same has ps3 and ps2- i hate the control pads and the new one dont look any better.look its the start of a new gen the console can handle full res look at forza when the devoleping tecniques get better then we will see whos laugthing ya know what i meen. hurry up 22nd i want my one :D :D :D :D :D :D
happpydays 31

Postby Decent_Jam » 08 Nov 2013, 18:58

Does anyone else think it's quite ironic to use the cross analogy relating to a game starring the Romans?

...anyway after playing this it looks pretty good but the gameplay doesn't stack up so far. May give it some more time though.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby lazercut123 » 08 Nov 2013, 19:02

No 1080p?

I too like to live dangerously.
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby Grummy » 08 Nov 2013, 19:19

lazercut123 wrote:No 1080p?

I too like to live dangerously.

I forget, did your sig always say that or is that your new way of trying your luck? Do I need to refer you back to your very special thread you were granted?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby lazercut123 » 08 Nov 2013, 19:23

Sorry Joffrey.
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby mackered » 08 Nov 2013, 19:45

happpydays wrote:
wotsahotspotnot wrote:Despite Cytek completely missing the point of why some people are interested in and affected by this (or more likely seeing it all too well but sidestepping it), despite the fact that this is Crytek who are actually going along with MS's ''resolution doesn't matter'' line of reasoning - Crytek, probably the biggest graphics whores in game development - Ryse nevertheless looks magnificent and shows that the X1 is still going to be a console that can impress, visually.

is still going to be a console that can visualy impress? why was it never going too ? i got caught in the res thing for a moment but the truth is the xbox 1 is a amazing piece of kit and with the cloud system being able too free of space on the hardware too me its an exciting console, the new kinect is well fantastic ,i alone could think of some games that would work a treat with voice command .honestly for me theres nothing that attracts me too ps 4 same has ps3 and ps2- i hate the control pads and the new one dont look any better.look its the start of a new gen the console can handle full res look at forza when the devoleping tecniques get better then we will see whos laugthing ya know what i meen. hurry up 22nd i want my one :D :D :D :D :D :D

I really don't want to start a big discussion, but, why do we need kinect for voice commands, isn't that what the headset is for, voice, or am I missing something?
I'm crafting but where's the bling?
mackered 50

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 09 Nov 2013, 00:12

happpydays wrote:

Of course it was going to and Ryse proves it. Just because I've made it clear in other, more relevant (than this) topics which console I think is more powerful doesn't mean I think the One is crap or even, believe me or don't, worse than any other as a whole. Indeed, I'll get my own One at some point.

This isn't about that, though. This is me reacting to a slightly ironic (given Crytek's past sensibilities) interview conducted with a Crytek member, but nevertheless I conclude how resolution does indeed not totally dominate enjoyment or appreciation of graphics aesthetics as this XBox exclusive shows, and as we, of course, always knew, despite the past few weeks. If you want me to go into more detail, I've gone on record on this site at least once before this post to say that Ryse on the X1 is IMO graphically the best looking next-gen game so far, with the possible exception of Killzone Shadowfall. I've never approached from a position of X1 is weak and I'm not about to begin.

Now's the time to move on to other things, I'm sorry if you thought I was using this topic to have a swipe or be patronising. It wasn't the intention. I simply saw the irony that Crytek were having such an interview and putting forward the view they did. It turns out that having decided to buy the console and decided there's no going back, I agree with them.

I certainly wasn't aiming to get a 'Ryse' out of anyone...... :wink:
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 09 Nov 2013, 00:27

I really don't want to start a big discussion, but, why do we need kinect for voice commands, isn't that what the headset is for, voice, or am I missing something?

You're totally right, bu on the few games I've played on my 360 using my headset for issuing voice commands, for me, it just doesn't work. It's nice for a few hours, but the games I've played that do it that way, it turns out, work better simply using the controller instead.

I'd like to think that Kinect 2 will solve the problem. Either way, we're all gonna find out very soon. Here is one way the X1 can really pour heat on the competition if they get it right and hot competition is great for everyone.
wotsahotspotnot 31