to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xb

Your comments on our articles.

Time saved creating online features has been spent on visuals and physics

Forza Motorsport 5 owes its 1080p visuals and 60 frames a second performance to Microsoft's furnishing Turn 10 with easy access to scalable servers, creative director Dan Greenawalt has told OXM. The ability to tap into Xbox Live Compute has allowed the studio to lavish more time and development resources on the game's visuals and complex physics systems; without this advantage, it would have had trouble achieving Forza 5's final resolution.... read more

Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xb

Postby Nick Nack » 08 Nov 2013, 17:46

This game looks simply stunning, and very impressive for a launch title.
Nick Nack 42

Re: Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access t

Postby Blastiel » 08 Nov 2013, 17:54

So is this article saying without the cloud, i.e. an internet connection to utilise it then you can't play Forza 5?
Blastiel 20

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Nov 2013, 17:58

Blastiel wrote:So is this article saying without the cloud, i.e. an internet connection to utilise it then you can't play Forza 5?

No - Greenawalt's saying that because they didn't have to spend loads of time setting up their own online stuff, they've been able to spend more time juicing up the physics, resolution, frame rate, etc.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby battfink83 » 08 Nov 2013, 18:41

It looks great and im getting it day one, but I have to admit im a little disappointed with it only having 200 odd cars and 14 tracks. Sounds tight of me when its 200 cars and I know they all have auto vista, but we're used to so much more. I suppose it is only a launch title after all. A FREE car pack or two would be appreciated T10 :)
battfink83 47

Postby Decent_Jam » 08 Nov 2013, 18:44

Blastiel wrote:So is this article saying without the cloud, i.e. an internet connection to utilise it then you can't play Forza 5?

This reaction worries me. In no way was this said.

Anyway it's a damn pretty game and a good launch title, hopefully I manage to get a free copy, but this is hardly doing much to combat all the resolution nay-sayers. That said I don't think the pixel counting will be a problem once people get these games home.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Drivatar thing works in practice, because I am going to be terrrrible at this game, does that mean when my Drivatar is playing I will just be clocking up loss after digital loss? I suppose it saves the embarrassment of actually losing...
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby usernameistaken1 » 08 Nov 2013, 20:58

man can microsoft not shut up this gives ps4 fanboys more to complain what they are doing is admitting that their console is weaker than the ps4 which we knew but now it is coming straight from the horses mouth if it needs xbox cloud to get 1080p that means the console can't do it sure it proves the cloud is good but also why can it not do this with all games man it is going to be a field day for ps4 fans
i won't be a rockstar i will be a legend freddie motherf****ing mercury
usernameistaken1 33

Postby fracturedrich » 08 Nov 2013, 21:16

usernameistaken1 wrote:man can microsoft not shut up this gives ps4 fanboys more to complain what they are doing is admitting that their console is weaker than the ps4 which we knew but now it is coming straight from the horses mouth if it needs xbox cloud to get 1080p that means the console can't do it sure it proves the cloud is good but also why can it not do this with all games man it is going to be a field day for ps4 fans

I love forza and i no that i would prefer forza 4 to anything the ps4 could throw out but that's just preference.I can not wait until the 22nd,i have even booked a few day's off work to get the lap times going.Please tell me there will be a forza 5 thread where we can lay down some challenges.
fracturedrich 46

Postby scottishwildcat » 08 Nov 2013, 21:23

Nick Nack wrote:This game looks simply stunning, and very impressive for a launch title.

I'm sure it's lovely, but when you look at the side-by-side comparison with Forza 4 on a typical track, it's really not such a huge leap.
scottishwildcat 17

Postby Twilight Error » 08 Nov 2013, 21:27

usernameistaken1 wrote:man can microsoft not shut up this gives ps4 fanboys more to complain what they are doing is admitting that their console is weaker than the ps4 which we knew but now it is coming straight from the horses mouth if it needs xbox cloud to get 1080p that means the console can't do it sure it proves the cloud is good but also why can it not do this with all games man it is going to be a field day for ps4 fans

I always got the impression that the Azure system was an important part of the console itself, and not something separate from it. In this sense, the console can grow beyond the limitations of the hardware that we'll soon have in our homes. To me, that's an important distinction from what the competition is offering.
Twilight Error 39

Postby Grummy » 08 Nov 2013, 21:27

scottishwildcat wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:This game looks simply stunning, and very impressive for a launch title.

I'm sure it's lovely, but when you look at the side-by-side comparison with Forza 4 on a typical track, it's really not such a huge leap.

It's mostly on the lighting I think, but there were moments when 5 was clearly better, particularly in the Driver's seat view.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 08 Nov 2013, 21:30

Twilight Error wrote:

I always got the impression that the Azure system was an important part of the console itself, and not something separate from it. In this sense, the console can grow beyond the limitations of the hardware that we'll soon have in our homes. To me, that's an important distinction from what the competition is offering.

Indeed, I have to agree. Cloud was always meant to be integral to the system and what Forza 5 is showing is that the Cloud can do so much work useful stuff that it lets devs reach 1080p. If this is what they're doing now at launch, the potential for the future is promising.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Twilight Error » 08 Nov 2013, 21:44

scottishwildcat wrote:

The video defaults at a low-resolution, but the differences were much more noticeable once I kicked it up to 1080p. The mountains in the background and the road surface were both much more vivid than the last version. And yea, the lighting, too, showed a big difference.

But once again, we're getting caught up on graphics. The big difference between Forza 4 and Forza 5 is what's happening behind the scenes. That's what makes it most exciting. It's definitely another beautiful game in a series of beautiful games, but the technical aspects of it are all brand-new. The Drivatar system, in particular, means that single player will get better and better. We'll have roadways filled with novices during the first few weeks, but everyone playing the game will gradually get better, which means our single-player opponents will gradually get better. Can't wait to try it.

Grummy wrote:Indeed, I have to agree. Cloud was always meant to be integral to the system and what Forza 5 is showing is that the Cloud can do so much work useful stuff that it lets devs reach 1080p. If this is what they're doing now at launch, the potential for the future is promising.

Absolutely. That's what makes me most optimistic about the Xbox One. What we're bringing home isn't the whole console. There's much more to it.
Twilight Error 39

Postby Daniel2 » 08 Nov 2013, 21:53

So we can expect titanfall in 1080p then? :D
Daniel2 24

Postby Grummy » 08 Nov 2013, 22:19

Daniel2 wrote:So we can expect titanfall in 1080p then? :D

Hard to say. TF hasn't been entirely built with complete next gen dev tools, and they may be too far through development to utilize cloud fully, but then again, I could be wrong.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby The Hulk » 08 Nov 2013, 23:27

This quote WORRIES me !
"Now we're doing things in the physics that requires so much more computational power, we would have struggled to be 720p, 60fps."
So even before it's launch the Xbox One is too underpowered to run the first wave of next-gen titles ! No wonder they were initially insisting on a permanent internet connection!
Even more worrying is that this is from the one developer able to achieve 1080p and 60fps on the console !
The Hulk 41

Next