to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft shuts down latest Xbox One DRM rumours - console w

Your comments on our articles.

Problems with Call of Duty: Ghosts offline play related to pre-release code, says Penello

Happy Monday all - here's a nice hot helping of next gen controversy to get the old motor running. Microsoft's product planning director Albert Penello has sallied unto NeoGAF to shoot down a rumour that Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox One can't be played offline, as reported by Twitter user Moonlightswami.... read more

Microsoft shuts down latest Xbox One DRM rumours - console w

Postby Craphex » 11 Nov 2013, 11:09

Good to hear, though with my constant internet connection and legit purchases I wouldn't even mind.
Craphex 11

Re: Microsoft shuts down latest Xbox One DRM rumours - conso

Postby Blastiel » 11 Nov 2013, 11:29

There is no "DRM removal"

Pretty sure there is as that is what the Da One patch is for, MS said so themselves months ago! lol
Blastiel 20

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Nov 2013, 11:31

Blastiel wrote:There is no "DRM removal"

Pretty sure there is as that is what the Da One patch is for, MS said so themselves months ago! lol

Yes but that's removing the need for your Xbox to check in every 24 hours. That isn't actually DRM no matter how the paranoid internet masses want to dress it up. Don't forget as well that the PS4 also requires a day 1 patch, despite the fact they never announced similar policies (I'd lay money they had them, they just never announced them)
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Blastiel » 11 Nov 2013, 11:39

CunningSmile wrote:
Blastiel wrote:There is no "DRM removal"

Yes but that's removing the need for your Xbox to check in every 24 hours. That isn't actually DRM no matter how the paranoid internet masses want to dress it up. Don't forget as well that the PS4 also requires a day 1 patch, despite the fact they never announced similar policies (I'd lay money they had them, they just never announced them)

Thats DRM mate.

PS4 indeed has a day one patch that adds a ton of lovely features as noted in the in depth FAQ they released.
Blastiel 20

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Nov 2013, 11:52

No, DRM as normally defined is the constant online thing that screws up Simcity and the Assassins Creed games on PC that as soon you start playing requires you to constantly reassure the servers that you haven't found some way to sell the game without stopping playing it. A 2 second check in every 24 hours that happens without you doing anything is a very different beast that wouldn't have affected anyone that much as losing connection during game play wouldn't have mattered.

And Sony can say as much as they like that their day 1 patch is only to add features, but my money is still on part of it removing the necessity for the Eye being connected and to disable similar policies to the ones MS announced. Too many developers were consulted by both platform holders for two such different policies to have been born. Sony just took the opportunity to let MS go first and take the flack.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 11 Nov 2013, 11:56

Apparently the update whatshisname downloaded isn't the official Day One update. Just so you know.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby SilentDark » 11 Nov 2013, 12:11

CunningSmile wrote:No, DRM as normally defined is the constant online thing that screws up Simcity and the Assassins Creed games on PC that as soon you start playing requires you to constantly reassure the servers that you haven't found some way to sell the game without stopping playing it. A 2 second check in every 24 hours that happens without you doing anything is a very different beast that wouldn't have affected anyone that much as losing connection during game play wouldn't have mattered.

And Sony can say as much as they like that their day 1 patch is only to add features, but my money is still on part of it removing the necessity for the Eye being connected and to disable similar policies to the ones MS announced. Too many developers were consulted by both platform holders for two such different policies to have been born. Sony just took the opportunity to let MS go first and take the flack.

Then what exactly was the point of the daily check in if not to enforce their DRM policies? You mention the constant online conections used by Sim City and ACPC but they were themselves very different beasts from the disc based systems of old like Starforce. Any system which requires you to regularly "prove" that you are the owner/license holder/whatever is effectively DRM.

As for the PS4 day 1 patch, you're probably right, however could you not steal my bit again, I'm the super cynical purveyor of doom and crusher of dreams. :lol:
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby Blastiel » 11 Nov 2013, 12:19

CunningSmile wrote:No, DRM as normally defined is the constant online thing that screws up Simcity and the Assassins Creed games on PC that as soon you start playing requires you to constantly reassure the servers that you haven't found some way to sell the game without stopping playing it. A 2 second check in every 24 hours that happens without you doing anything is a very different beast that wouldn't have affected anyone that much as losing connection during game play wouldn't have mattered.

It is DRM. It doesn't matter wether it is 2 seconds every 24 hours or once a month a check is being performed on a digital license to allow or deny access based on whatever the criteria maybe.

Also why do you keep bringing the PS4 up when it has nothing to do with the story. It's like your whole argument is don't have ago at MS because Sony probably might have could have done the same thing. MS brought the whole 180 fiasco on themselves, Sony "may" have followed suit but clearly they are not. Until such a day as it is proved they were going to there is no point even mentioning them.
Blastiel 20

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Nov 2013, 12:20

Well said Silent Smile.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby vadersmyfather » 11 Nov 2013, 12:38

Blastiel wrote:Also why do you keep bringing the PS4 up when it has nothing to do with the story. It's like your whole argument is don't have ago at MS because Sony probably might have could have done the same thing.

He's just being pragmatic about an issue the industry as a whole is/will be facing.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby Blastiel » 11 Nov 2013, 12:44

vadersmyfather wrote:
Blastiel wrote:Also why do you keep bringing the PS4 up when it has nothing to do with the story. It's like your whole argument is don't have ago at MS because Sony probably might have could have done the same thing.

He's just being pragmatic about an issue the industry as a whole is/will be facing.

The only issue we have is that MS (and perhaps Sony) wanted to take away our right of ownership without giving us a glimpse as to how a digital only XBONE would work. If MS had just said "All retail games will be available digitally for just £29.99" then I say hello digital age.

...but its MS (and Sony) and as we know if they don't have to compete with other digital stores they will just stick to wanting to charge £59.99 for retail games and you can either like it or lump which in turn meant 180 time.
Blastiel 20

Postby vadersmyfather » 11 Nov 2013, 12:47

Blastiel wrote:The only issue we have is that MS (and perhaps Sony) wanted to take away our right of ownership without giving us a glimpse as to how a digital only XBONE would work. If MS had just said "All retail games will be available digitally for just £29.99" then I say hello digital age.

...but its MS (and Sony) and as we know if they don't have to compete with other digital stores they will just stick to wanting to charge £59.99 for retail games and you can either like it or lump which in turn meant 180 time.

The issue I felt was less the policy, which I think in truth most people wouldn't actually fall foul of, but the way in which it (wasn't) explained.

As you say, all we heard about were restrictions rather than benefits.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby silent alchemist » 11 Nov 2013, 12:49

console will work exactly as you expect today on 360,"
Will my 360 arcade titles work on the 1 then and i still can't shake this feeling that i don't know enough about the 1
silent alchemist 36

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Nov 2013, 13:05

silent alchemist wrote:
console will work exactly as you expect today on 360,"
Will my 360 arcade titles work on the 1 then and i still can't shake this feeling that i don't know enough about the 1

No they wont.

vadersmyfather wrote:As you say, all we heard about were restrictions rather than benefits.

I would say all you read were it's restrictions, the benefits me, cunning and a lot of people saw, but nothing gets a headline than something taken out of context and hundreds of internet cool people shouting about something they haven't really thought about.

Blastiel wrote:Until such a day as it is proved they were going to there is no point even mentioning them.

Then why be angry about them charging £60 when they never claimed to do it?

I think there was nothing wrong with a 24 hour check, do you play your current xbox offline much? That is, not signed in to xbox live - probably not. If you're internet goes down you could still play for 24 hours, and a smart phone can easily do the check for you. Fun fact, no one moans about the drm in place on the 360 right now do they? It only allows you 10 minutes of play before you can't play.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby vadersmyfather » 11 Nov 2013, 13:18

Bezza89 wrote:I would say all you read were it's restrictions, the benefits me, cunning and a lot of people saw, but nothing gets a headline than something taken out of context and hundreds of internet cool people shouting about something they haven't really thought about.

Something has to make the headlines, right... I have to say that I wasn't talking about me personally; like many I was quite pro the original XBO. There was a certain amount of mass hysteria surrounding the announcements, but I do think it would be disingenuous to argue their policies weren't anything other than poorly explained. We may have debated at some length the relative benefits and possible drawbacks online, but it's unreasonable to expect that the majority of potential purchasers would do that. MS's vision needed to be clear and concise and, even from a position of being positive myself, a great deal of what was coming out was mixed messages (or at least, that was the general perception.) Like many here I was disappointed that they did a U-turn, but I think it was - by that stage - probably a necessity.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 11 Nov 2013, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
vadersmyfather 46

Next