to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rare isn't bothered by hardcore cynicism about Kinect - "we'

Your comments on our articles.

But has ideas for games that aren't based around motion sensitivity

Rare has plenty of ideas for games that don't rely on Kinect, some of them possibly derived from its own back catalogue, but Kinect Sports Rivals executive producer Danny Isaac says that the studio will remain "closely linked to that technology" for the foreseeable future.... read more

Rare isn't bothered by hardcore cynicism about Kinect - "we'

Postby Bezza89 » 11 Nov 2013, 14:59

You went to gamescome? :wink:

I am a Kinect cynic, only because I want it to realise potential, and do something truly amazing. I've not seen it yet, but good luck to them.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: Rare isn't bothered by hardcore cynicism about Kinect -

Postby OXM ETboy » 11 Nov 2013, 15:10

Fie!
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Comedy James » 11 Nov 2013, 15:29

Bezza89 wrote:You went to gamescome? :wink:

I am a Kinect cynic, only because I want it to realise potential, and do something truly amazing. I've not seen it yet, but good luck to them.

I really want Kinect on Xbox One to be successful Because I still believe that the 360's Kinect didn't reach its full potential because of its low audience. Although saying that my brother really enjoyed his Kinect so it just shows really that it can't have been that bad as haters were saying
Comedy James 10

Postby Nick Nack » 11 Nov 2013, 15:30

I thought Kinect 2 was useful when it came to the operating system, as regards to enhancing my gaming experience, i'm sorry but i'm not convinced.
Nick Nack 42

Postby The Hulk » 11 Nov 2013, 18:44

I had SOME fun playing Kinect 1.0 when it first came out, but ultimately the tech didn't meet the hype!

You couldn't transfer, your real life skate board in to a game, the fashion design game/apps never happened, no decent fighting game, no 'Milo' and don't even get me started on Kinect Star Wars, where the best part of the game was the dance stage section 'going Han Solo' !

Instead we got a Kinect that wouldn't work in a bedroom or the average british sized lounge for that matter, lots of latency and games that were allegedly better with Kinect but in my humble opinion were not.

I don't think it is hard-core gamers who were disappointed by Kinect it was the Majority of people who bought one !

With Ryse ditching the Kinect controls I think it is pretty obvious that we are not going to see any AAA title use them fully in the near future if at all !

I played the Kinect 2.0 at eurogamer and was disappointed that the only innovation I saw was a Kinect doing the same as before but this time with the play distance and lack of latency that was promised with Kinect 1.0.
The Hulk 41

Postby happpydays » 11 Nov 2013, 19:04

Nick Nack wrote:I thought Kinect 2 was useful when it came to the operating system, as regards to enhancing my gaming experience, i'm sorry but i'm not convinced.

youve not even used it its not out yet lol
happpydays 32

Postby KernowDevil23 » 11 Nov 2013, 19:05

happpydays wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:I thought Kinect 2 was useful when it came to the operating system, as regards to enhancing my gaming experience, i'm sorry but i'm not convinced.

youve not even used it its not out yet lol

Perhaps he's basing his opinion on what he's seen so far?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Nick Nack » 11 Nov 2013, 19:27

Correct. Plus i have had the benefit of going to a lock in at my local GAME store. :wink:
Nick Nack 42

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 11 Nov 2013, 20:02

It makes me wonder that Ryse, a game which was meant to be all about Kinect at one time, now doesn't make use of it in any way whatsoever?

I think Kinect might be well employed in those PC hobby sims which would simply not be possible using a traditional controller only. Microsoft Flight Simulator, for example. I can see a Kinect solution for a game such as this, using a combination of voice command, gesture and traditional control in a game world which doesn't require immediate, nano-second responsiveness. I don't see why it couldn't provide a cheaper but still great alternative to the PC big boys with their $1000 joysticks and rudders controllers.

I'm less convinced on the more quick-fire stuff usually found in console gaming, or where quite intricate body movements are necessary, as are many people, but the UI will no doubt be interesting.

It would be nice to see Rare let off the leash a little to see what they could come up with. You only need look at their back-catalog and the pedigree they bring and anyone can be forgiven for thinking they have much more to offer and could potentially be Microsoft's answer to Nintendo in-house development. I don't think that's such a controversial opinion tbh.

Suppose it comes down to whether Rare still ''have it'', or not. I'm all for giving them the chance to show it or blow it. If they fail, it's back to Kinect.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 31

Postby ElCritique » 11 Nov 2013, 22:11

People wouldn't be as upset with Rare about Kinect, if they were also developing non-Kinect games(that were good).

I'm not upset with Rare for using Kinect, like some people are. I do hope that we get to see the games that we've been asking for. I wouldn't mind some usage of Kinect in games like Conker and Banjo, I would prefer them to be mainly controller based.

Anyways, hopefully Rare finds the perfect balance and gives people want they want with controller based games and gives gamers who love Kinect, Kinect games. It would be the best of both worlds for Rare.
ElCritique 35

Postby happpydays » 11 Nov 2013, 22:23

Perhaps he's basing his opinion on what he's seen so far?[/quote]
well from what ive seen so far which is not alot it looks pretty fantastic and most people i actualy now has said the same and has for saying its not enhanced is gaming well the fact is its not been released yet lol
happpydays 32

Postby vI M4YH3Mz Iv. » 11 Nov 2013, 23:08

Please Rare can you make a Banjo Threeie and Conkers bad fur day 2, but both of these games shouldnt just be kinect they should be controller with elements of kinect.
Both of these two games could be serious platformers and they could both give microsoft a bit of depth in the platforming area :D
vI M4YH3Mz Iv. 16

Postby Nick Nack » 12 Nov 2013, 03:50

happpydays wrote:Perhaps he's basing his opinion on what he's seen so far?

well from what ive seen so far which is not alot it looks pretty fantastic and most people i actualy now has said the same and has for saying its not enhanced is gaming well the fact is its not been released yet lol[/quote]
Have you seen it in action?..... I have, and i'm sorry it's my opinion. You said because it's not out yet how can i base an opinion on it. I have seen it in action in the flesh, so i think can make an opinion on it. I like controller based games, not motion games like Dance Central. Kids might like it, but i'm a 39 year old male, so i'm abit past gimmicky motion games i'm afraid lol. :lol:
Nick Nack 42

Postby Nick Nack » 12 Nov 2013, 03:52

@happpydays Have you seen it in action?..... I have, and i'm sorry it's my opinion. Having seen the Kinect 2 in the flesh, i think i can make an opinion on what i saw. I think we'll see very little from what we've seen this gen with the Kinect 1. However i may be proved wrong in the future. I think the Kinect 2 with the UI is impressive, but as regards to games i'm not convinced. And just because Kinect 2 isn't out yet, doesn't mean i can't base an opion on what i saw. I like controller based games, not motion games like Dance Central. Kids might like it, but i'm a 39 year old male, so i'm abit past gimmicky motion games i'm afraid lol.
Nick Nack 42

Postby battfink83 » 12 Nov 2013, 06:18

The kinect was mostly used by me for the voice commands. Skyrim is ten times better with the kinect, and it works great with mass effect 3. I just hope that it can easily be used from a comfortable sitting position. Im too lazy.....
battfink83 47

Next