to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Upgrading from Xbox 360 to Xbox One - seven things you need

Your comments on our articles.

Our bodies are ready - are our living rooms?

We're so close. So very close in fact, I found myself eyeing up my Xbox 360 over the weekend, pondering where it would go after the Xbox One inevitably takes its place in my TV unit. These are the things that keep the OCD side of my brain up at night. And how about you? Have you given any practical thought to how you'll prepare for the arrival of your shiny new next gen consoles?... read more

Postby Timmeh555 » 11 Nov 2013, 16:04

The last point is very true for me, should be getting internet the same week as the release so hopefully BT can get it done in time, if not as long as it is not too big will just use the 3G dongle but in theory as to quote BT "we are putting in the best fiber so when it is installed you will be able to get out fastest speeds of up to 74 mega bits per second" (yes I am that sad but it is important to catch them out when the inevitable 1 meg is the best speed they can do)
Also bought some stands for my TV when i moved 5 months ago from IKEA (which is unbelievably cheep) but i worry there is not enough air flow as both my 360 and ps3 get hot after a few hours of gaming.
Last edited by Timmeh555 on 11 Nov 2013, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Timmeh555 43

Postby yunoyuluvit » 11 Nov 2013, 16:05

I'm still on the fence with regards the whole digital/physical thing, to the point where I have an Xbox One on pre-order, but no games (although I will have a digital copy of FIFA, that I will probably never use)! It will come down to how the pricing works. I'm hoping that retailers like Amazon will be able to offer digital downloads at the same (or hopefully less!) cost as a disc, rather than having to purchase directly from Microsoft.
yunoyuluvit 38

Postby bamozzy » 11 Nov 2013, 16:15

Having read this, I could very easily just set up an xbox one and Kinect. My 360 has Kinect and the sensor works in my living room space. With the sensor of this not needing as much distance, it would easily go where the 360 sensor is and work (although I would only use it for voice navigation and have NO interest in using it for gaming other than communication or voice activated function).

I MUCH prefer my games to be Disc based and would HATE them to be digital only. With the size of the next generation games, it seems that the Hard Drive could only store about 9/10 anyway.

I wouldn't connect my 360 into the xbox one, rather I would just allocate one of the HDMi ports on my TV to each console. That way I only need to switch input on my TV and save running both consoles at the same time therefore save some electricity!

I assume that as my Xbox 360 live account is pre-paid - it would just transfer onto the xbox one and I wouldn't need to do anything (like purchase a live account). Therefore I am all set for online gaming - just need the console now! :wink:

Incidentally I have Ghosts Hardened Edition - I doubt I would trade that for the Standard edition on the Xbox One. I would however buy the Standard version as I hear/understand that the Season Pass is transferable so I could download the new DLC anyway. If I could afford to get the new console, I would look to try and find a package deal that had Ghosts as I thought they were doing one. I haven't yet got BF4 but would consider upgrading that (if I did) or at least buying it for the next gen but it seems there are quite a number of next gen games I want already.... :lol:
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Re: Upgrading from Xbox 360 to Xbox One - seven things you n

Postby Harryn9000 » 11 Nov 2013, 16:21

the first only applies if u had bought the games from Game it self otherwise u ain't getting 40 quid towards nxt gen not even 30 if ur lucky
Harryn9000 7

Postby Plamsa wing » 11 Nov 2013, 16:31

Out of interest, any idea if any of our avatar clothes, specifically those that have been bought, port over to the Xbox One avatars?

I quite like popping that Christmas hat on every year.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby scorcher117 » 11 Nov 2013, 16:32

Digital or physical, that entirely depends on wether we get f**ked on digital prices, the current price of a lot of games on the 360 is £49.99 which is absurd especially when they have been out for over a year and at launch in stores were only £39.99
scorcher117 14

Postby bamozzy » 11 Nov 2013, 16:49

scorcher117 wrote:Digital or physical, that entirely depends on wether we get f**ked on digital prices, the current price of a lot of games on the 360 is £49.99 which is absurd especially when they have been out for over a year and at launch in stores were only £39.99

Digital prices are Ridiculous on the 360!!

Bioshock Infinite £49.99 (digital) yet I have seen it brand new for under £20 on disc!

I have often said I much prefer the hard copy anyway - There is something to be said for having the disc, box and manual to hold. It also makes you feel like you are actually getting something for your money too and can make a game library look impressive on the shelf. They also have resale value - something digital copies don't. Why would I spend money on a digital game and then not be able to trade it if I don't like it. For example I have Ghosts (Hardened Edition) which cost me £65. If I didn't like it I could trade it in or sell it privately and get some of that money back and I got a nice steel tin, wristband thing as well as the Season Pass and Presentation Box. There is NO way I could get the digital game and Season Pass for this amount of money and even if I did buy in this way, I have nothing I could sell to recuperate costs. Just look on Ebay to see how much collectors editions of games sell for let alone standard editions.

Even IF digital versions of games were £5-£10 Cheaper I still think I would buy the Disc based versions in preference!!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby GHOSTY05 » 11 Nov 2013, 16:51

1. Xbox one day one edition, Forza 5, Battlefield 4, Dead rising 3, extra controller, kinect stand, batteries, Ordered :!:

2. New Sony 55" HD 3D TV, Sorted:!:

3. New Sony 3D Bluray 7.1 Surround sound system, Sorted :!:

4. New 120mb Virgin media Broadband, Sorted :!:

5. Xbox 360 moved to make space for Xbox One in new TV unit, Sorted :!:

6. Ready to run TV or Xbox through Xbox 360 , Undecided :!:

7. The look on my face when the courier turns up friday with my new toy, Priceless :mrgreen:

As for going digital, apart from my free copy of digital Forza 5, not a chance, unless they reduce the prices of the games.
GHOSTY05 39

Postby LeTHaL MiGRaiNe » 11 Nov 2013, 16:54

easiest thing to do is get a date with the beautiful Miss Aoife and she can set it up for you. :lol:
LeTHaL MiGRaiNe 1

Postby yunoyuluvit » 11 Nov 2013, 16:59

LeTHaL MiGRaiNe wrote:easiest thing to do is get a date with the beautiful Miss Aoife and she can set it up for you. :lol:

Just don't get her to do the video calibration on anything higher than 800x600! :)
yunoyuluvit 38

Postby vadersmyfather » 11 Nov 2013, 17:04

Unless the price of digital games reduces dramatically then I think the potential sell-on value if disc based games is too tempting.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby GHOSTY05 » 11 Nov 2013, 17:07

LeTHaL MiGRaiNe wrote:easiest thing to do is get a date with the beautiful Miss Aoife and she can set it up for you. :lol:

Personally i will set it up myself as that's half the fun.
GHOSTY05 39

Postby yunoyuluvit » 11 Nov 2013, 17:13

vadersmyfather wrote:Unless the price of digital games reduces dramatically then I think the potential sell-on value if disc based games is too tempting.

It's a bit of a Catch 22. You need to make digital a viable option, but at the same time, you don't want to alienate your retail partners selling physical copies. Allowing the same retailers to offer digital downloads as well, either via email or cards (such as Gold subscriptions), means that they can offer both at different price points and leave it up to the consumer to go with whichever they prefer.
yunoyuluvit 38

Postby Maccaroo » 11 Nov 2013, 17:25

Plamsa wing wrote:Out of interest, any idea if any of our avatar clothes, specifically those that have been bought, port over to the Xbox One avatars?

I quite like popping that Christmas hat on every year.

I would like to know this too, I even put the Xmas theme on my background around this time of year (sad I know :oops: )

About the physical/digital, I will only buy physical if I know I am going to trade it in once I am done with it like COD: Ghost when the next one is out probably this time next year. As for 4K tv's they will be half price by next year from about £1,700, I just hope they bring out smaller 4K tv's like 42"-46".
Maccaroo 4

Postby Neil H » 11 Nov 2013, 17:45

After a bit of a refurb at the weekend, my games room is now Kinect ready :D ....and waiting :(
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Next