to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Champions in the cloud - how Kinect Sports Rivals online AI

Your comments on our articles.

"Sports are so much more meaningful when you're playing against people you know."

Forza Motorsport 5 isn't the only Xbox One game to make actual, practical use of the much-sung, much-maligned Xbox Live cloud. The Kinect Sports Rivals Champions system also draws on Microsoft's hefty server arsenal, allowing players to store nipped, tucked, perpetually evolving AI versions of themselves online, who then compete against other players in your absence. Why did Rare opt for this functionality, rather than the usual array of pre-fabbed computer constructs? I spoke to executive producer Danny Isaac for more.... read more

Champions in the cloud - how Kinect Sports Rivals online AI

Postby LethalBuddha » 12 Nov 2013, 13:23

Assuming that the Xbox avatars are staying, could the way the Kinect scanned Aoife's face and used it for the game be used for scanning ourselves onto our actual Xbox avatars? I did try to get my avatar to resemble me as much as possible but I would love to use that feature just to see how much my avatar changes from what it currently is.
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Re: Champions in the cloud - how Kinect Sports Rivals online

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Nov 2013, 13:55

Conceivably, yes. Rare built the original Xbox Live Avatars, and I'm sure they've thought about how to use Kinect for this on Xbox One. There's nothing official on the subject yet, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TronZler » 12 Nov 2013, 15:12

Do you know what the other events are anyway? I'm only aware of the climbing from Aofie's vid an of course the jet ski race thats in the trial.
Looking forward to trying it out on launch day though,i don't think i'll ever grow up,too much fun to be had! :)
TronZler 23

Postby fishclaws » 12 Nov 2013, 19:06

TronZler wrote:Do you know what the other events are anyway? I'm only aware of the climbing from Aofie's vid an of course the jet ski race thats in the trial.
Looking forward to trying it out on launch day though,i don't think i'll ever grow up,too much fun to be had! :)

football tennis archery (i think) and bowling
when the sun shines - i feel the urge to eat apples
fishclaws 29

Postby TronZler » 12 Nov 2013, 21:46

fishclaws wrote:
TronZler wrote:Do you know what the other events are anyway? I'm only aware of the climbing from Aofie's vid an of course the jet ski race thats in the trial.

football tennis archery (i think) and bowling

Thank you fishclaws :wink:
TronZler 23