to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why Need for Speed: Rivals, not Forza 5, is my Xbox One race

Your comments on our articles.

Ed goes hands-on with Ghosts' apocalyptic rewrite of Hot Pursuit

It's nothing personal, Turn 10. I have no doubt your Xbox One launch exclusive will prove a glorious, boundary-pushing racer. I'm sure the very sight of Forza 5 in motion will cause my optic nerves to fizzle up and curl in on themselves, like snakes thrown onto a bonfire. A relative scarcity of day one cars aside, nothing I've read or heard about your game makes me think it won't be worthy of my time. Quite the contrary - I'm worried I won't be worthy of your time.... read more

Why Need for Speed: Rivals, not Forza 5, is my Xbox One race

Postby lazercut123 » 13 Nov 2013, 21:49

I'm worried I won't be worthy of your time.

Nah Ed, you're worthy of all our time :wink: .

That was the best placed typo of the week.

EDIT: oops, re-read it and realised you were saying that you weren't good enough :cry: . Don't worry Ed, you'll be fine :mrgreen: .
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Re: Why Need for Speed: Rivals, not Forza 5, is my Xbox One

Postby fracturedrich » 13 Nov 2013, 22:19

Each to there own,that's what need for speed and forza are for,i like both,but respect people who prefer one over the other.
fracturedrich 46

Postby Twilight Error » 13 Nov 2013, 22:55

I hear what you're saying Ed: One is meant for precision racing, the other for behind-the-wheel insanity. Sometimes I prefer the former, other times the latter, depending on mood and what beverage happens to be nearby.

One aspect of NFS that sounds hilarious is the fact that multiple races can occur on the same roadway, and at the same time. Can't wait to experience that beautiful and inevitable mess.
Twilight Error 39

Postby Maximus T » 13 Nov 2013, 23:28

I think /I agree with you Ed (great article by the way) I think that I would find an arcadey racer more entertaining than a simulation racer- if I played either that much.
Is Rivals on 360 or just next gen?
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby leeboyopm » 14 Nov 2013, 01:36

Defo forza 5 along with battlefield 4 ghosts Coz of £40 trade to x1 version dead rising and either ryseor assassins creed 4 can only but 4 games but can't decide over creed or ryse any idears any one plus I get my free FIFA oh has need for speed been confirmed 1080p Coz idea f u PS fanboyes Coz that will be 5 hard 1080p and give deva a year and evry game will be 1080p 60fps on both platforms 8 days to go now can't wait waited since may 21st pre ordered couple days later I never worried bout x1 I've been like a salesperson for MS I've convinsed 4 friends to get one instead of PS4
leeboyopm 26

Postby Chameleon1977 » 14 Nov 2013, 08:34

With Lego Marvel falling by the wayside for a bit, and considering that my son enjoyed the open world bits of Burnout Paradise and Forza Horizon, maybe this might make the list of Day 1/early launch window games I get. A little surprised it's got quite such a reception, but really good to hear.
Chameleon1977 46

Postby Decent_Jam » 14 Nov 2013, 08:41

I must say this game becomes increasingly tempting. It gives the hint of madness which I miss from the Burnout Paradise days and may well be a game I can do well at.

However since Forza is free for me, hopefully, I'll go from there and see where it takes me. If it turns out to be too much then there's always an alternative.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby bamozzy » 14 Nov 2013, 13:10

I am not a big fan of the need for speed series in general - I have 3 currently (all on my PS3 - Carbon, Pro Street and Undercover) For me I much preferred Burnout Paradise - I do have Grid, Ridge Racer 7, SBK 08, F1 Championship edition (old) also on PS3 but my favourite is definitely Burnout. I do have the Motorstorm games too but these are more arcade style racers and I do like them for this reason.

For me the BEST Xbox Racer was PGR2, I have 3 and 4 but I loved 2 and think that was definitely the pinnacle of racing games on the xbox.

I have all the Forza games apart from Horizon and want 5 too. Forza took over as my preferred racing game on the xbox after PGR declined and subsequently disappeared. I am not particularly bothered by upgrades and customisation options in general and I do find Racing games start to feel very 'samey' after a few races regardless of tracks, cars etc. What I liked about PGR2 was all the different challenges. Sometimes you just had to racer but then next was a speed challenge, then cone challenge or overtaking and the different medals too made this an immense game - I never actually completed all of them to Platinum - most to gold but all at least silver.

I have spent a lot of time with Forza games too - at least several seasons worth. However this is just straightforward racing round a limited number of tracks albeit with various courses. After completing several races though I have had enough. I have mentioned elsewhere that I am very impressed by the Graphics of Forza 5 but I was also very impressed by the graphics of 4 too. IF they were to resurrect PGR for the next generation and make it more like 2 than 3 or 4 then I could very easily see that becoming my Race title for the next generation BUT I will also be very keen to play and get Forza too
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Nov 2013, 13:49

bamozzy wrote:
For me the BEST Xbox Racer was PGR2, I have 3 and 4 but I loved 2 and think that was definitely the pinnacle of racing games on the xbox.

Same for me, although you could leave off the xbox bit at the end, 2 was the best racer I've played. Think it was a mix of decent tracks, handling was a perfect balance and decent cars. Nothing has really come close to it for me and that includes micro machines on the nes. I've tried demos of need for speed games but the handling is just poor for me.

Burnout was good though.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby TronZler » 14 Nov 2013, 15:12

Amazing to read this article echo my thoughts/comments on the first Need for Speed article yesterday. As with Ed an a few others,its not to take anything from Forza away,i'm sure that game will get all the accolades an deserve them,Need for Speed (since they took the Burnout route for the last few years) is more my kind of racer thats all. I hardly play any racing games,with cars anyway an i wouldn't play a simulation long,whereas a manic exciting top speed romp with other racers and cops with spike strips,helicopters etc is such a buzz it always has a chance of me playing it at somepoint.
I mind going online with Hot Pursuit an i was like whaaaaaat!? Epic lol I had this mad american shouting at me as he couldn't catch me,it was nice to see after his rant he said good game though lol

Yeah this article made my mind up,i'm defiantley ordering this for launch. If it was my kid,he'd rather have Forza over this. I'm expecting Forza to get better marks than this,i'd just get more of my moneys worth with Need For Speed.

@Bamozzy If you loved the Burnout games you should try the last few Need for Speeds like Hot Pursuit an Most Wanted,both Criterion made games,so very Burnouty! This game isn't Criterion,but its made the same way as the last two so can't go far wrong.
TronZler 23

Postby FlaccidSnake » 14 Nov 2013, 15:21

Are there any confirmed day one demo's?

I'd like to give this a go but would want to demo it first. I did love hot pursuit and do like arcade racers in general. But just in case i do want to try before i buy as i'm already getting BF4, Forza 5, Ryse and Fifa 14
Flaccid by name, Flaccid by nature
FlaccidSnake 9