to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Community in online games is "dead", says The Division devel

Your comments on our articles.

"People are afraid to talk in games because they're going to get yelled at by some 12-year-old kid."

There's no sense of fellowship in online gaming anymore, according to Ubisoft Massive's Ryan Barnard - everybody's too worried about juvenile trolls, and developers and publishers are so willing to give up a game's secrets that players don't need to ask each other for help. Barnard plans to change all that with Tom Clancy's The Division, a post-apocalyptic survival sim for current gen, next gen and PC.... read more

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Nov 2013, 13:12

I think it's more about the amount of people, it makes the trolls more frequent and good people less frequent when you have millions playing the game.

I remember playing splinter cell DA with some random American dude, and we had an awesome time, he was experienced, I was a noob, he was teaching me all the tricks - I was running around an enemy asking him how to bop him one in spies v mercs. That's a game you can't really troll on, so everyone is pretty nice, there's only a few who play it and they want to play it, they're not just there to disrupt the order. Ironically, the PR guy not saying much about his game might actually make most people oblivious to the game, smaller sales allowing for a greater community.

Is the game definitely out for PC?
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby skellen79 » 14 Nov 2013, 13:13

I could not be more excited for this game as it is. I think the original reveal footage was more than enough for me.
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and where ever truth, love and laughter abide, I will be there in spirit.
Bill Hicks 1961-1994
skellen79 30

Postby battfink83 » 14 Nov 2013, 13:18

I blame developers just as much as the kids themselves for all the ranting 12 yewr olds and so ok on. Almost every bloody game these days has some terrible, god awful brain dead tacked on competitive deathmatch multiplayer.
Its the nature of these games to bring out the worse in people, whereas with co op games its totally different. Ive met so many new playees from games like left for dead and borderlands.
Also party chat has a bearing on people not talking, it does affect the cummunity in a negative way.ive always thought one of the best ideas from COD was the forced non party game modes,a co op game with this would have a great community imo
battfink83 53

Re: Community in online games is "dead", says The Division d

Postby The Hulk » 14 Nov 2013, 14:16

Give this guy a job at 343i they desperately need him !

Sounds promising for the 'Division'!

Hope 'Titan fall' helps to build a 'community' on Xbox one but I fear it may not as it lacks any real back story to be drawn into! Looks like it might be up to Bungie and Destiny to save the concept of communities on Xbox live.

My friends list is full, but with friends I have made over the years, it is VERY rare now a days that I meet any players that would make me consider reviewing my friends list!
The Hulk 46

Postby delpoi » 14 Nov 2013, 14:33

I do understand were he's coming from cause most of us play with friends we already know that's the norm, its hard to want to put your hand up and ask for help or advice purely because of idiots; I played DOTA once cause I asked for help and got shot down called every name under the sun and told to get from the lobby (just proves PC gamers can be arrogant). Me personally if someone is playing and struggling if i don't know them i want to help so i think the community spirit does need to come back :mrgreen:
delpoi 41

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Nov 2013, 14:35

delpoi wrote:I do understand were he's coming from cause most of us play with friends we already know that's the norm, its hard to want to put your hand up and ask for help or advice purely because of idiots; I played DOTA once cause I asked for help and got shot down called every name under the sun and told to get from the lobby (just proves PC gamers can be arrogant). Me personally if someone is playing and struggling if i don't know them i want to help so i think the community spirit does need to come back :mrgreen:

The self styled master race are arrogant?! :shock:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Nov 2013, 15:09

I got kicked from a game of counter strike GO for no reason. Shows xbox gamers are a bunch of twats.

Generalisations! Being clueless since time began.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby EdDeRs1 » 14 Nov 2013, 15:18

The Hulk wrote:Give this guy a job at 343i they desperately need him !

Sounds promising for the 'Division'!

Hope 'Titan fall' helps to build a 'community' on Xbox one but I fear it may not as it lacks any real back story to be drawn into! Looks like it might be up to Bungie and Destiny to save the concept of communities on Xbox live.

My friends list is full, but with friends I have made over the years, it is VERY rare now a days that I meet any players that would make me consider reviewing my friends list!

I didn't know you were into this stuff Hulk! or could be this coherent!
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby EdDeRs1 » 14 Nov 2013, 15:32

CunningSmile wrote:
delpoi wrote:I do understand were he's coming from cause most of us play with friends we already know that's the norm, its hard to want to put your hand up and ask for help or advice purely because of idiots; I played DOTA once cause I asked for help and got shot down called every name under the sun and told to get from the lobby (just proves PC gamers can be arrogant). Me personally if someone is playing and struggling if i don't know them i want to help so i think the community spirit does need to come back :mrgreen:

The self styled master race are arrogant?! :shock:

oh you can add your own content to games, have all the good RTS's and it all runs at 1080p? oh that's nice, now if you excuse me I'll just go and play GTA 5
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Postby TronZler » 14 Nov 2013, 15:40

Get what the developers saying,but i can't really see things changing much on that front. The only things that may change that a little this gen i think are first of all,the consoles aren't cheap so we may not get flooded with kids at the start,an also,depending how this new reputation system works on the One,it has potential to change things a bit anyway.

@Bezza Funny you should say that about Splinter Cell,as i had more or less the same experience. Played all the co-op missions with some guy an it was a blast,as just like me,he wanted to get them done. The only thing that went wrong was a glich in one of the last co-op missions where you have to take that person from this hospital type room an take him to the helicopter? It would glich with us both sitting on our bums just shooting at nothing! Was a pleasant change that on the first attempt i met a willing co-op companion though,doesn't usually happen so quickly lol

Hulk need Betty
TronZler 23

Postby Abe hikura » 14 Nov 2013, 17:03

My biggest issue with the abuse you get online is that 90% of the time you can only hear your team. Fair enough getting mouthed at by the other side but your team mates its just annoying
Abe hikura 54

Postby SilentDark » 14 Nov 2013, 17:14

The problems with lack of community are because of people, it doesn't matter what changes or innovations you bring to this game, you can't force people to be nice. Look at this forum and it's community, in an ideal world this would be the norm, but it isn't, it's very very weird. Unless your only market is us Ubi I'm afraid you have your work cut out for you.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby mackered » 14 Nov 2013, 17:15

TronZler wrote:Get what the developers saying,but i can't really see things changing much on that front. The only things that may change that a little this gen i think are first of all,the consoles aren't cheap so we may not get flooded with kids at the start,an also,depending how this new reputation system works on the One,it has potential to change things a bit anyway.

@Bezza Funny you should say that about Splinter Cell,as i had more or less the same experience. Played all the co-op missions with some guy an it was a blast,as just like me,he wanted to get them done. The only thing that went wrong was a glich in one of the last co-op missions where you have to take that person from this hospital type room an take him to the helicopter? It would glich with us both sitting on our bums just shooting at nothing! Was a pleasant change that on the first attempt i met a willing co-op companion though,doesn't usually happen so quickly lol

Hulk need Betty

Unfortunately, it's kids parents and not them who buy the boxes. Little toe rags should be in school anyway or doing their homework. :twisted:
Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Guess they don't like random people coming knocking on their doors. Also, when your partner says "correct me if I'm wrong" would you?
mackered 58

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 14 Nov 2013, 20:15

The best time Ive had chatting with another gamer was when I was a complete Dark Souls noob, this American guy I summoned sent me a chat invite and explained so much of the game like how to upgrade properly, he got me the drake sword( a solid weapon when only starting out) and helped me beat the gargoyles before you ring the first bell.

Twas a merry experience

The worst times have always been when I used to play COD, abusive text and voice messages from players on the opposite teams because I dared to kill them more than once/because I killed them with grenades/because I knifed them. The COD 'community' seem to misunderstand the point of deathmatches.

The Division looks great so far, I cant wait to team up with others and explore New York(when I finally upgrade to next gen) and with Microsofts new reputation system a community of decent gamers might actually be able to flourish. And for those who grief/troll or whatever they like to call it just let them play with other trolls and have their empty gaming experience.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 15 Nov 2013, 11:23

I've made some awesome friends over XBox Live, and more nights where there may not have been lasting friendship, but a still an amazing one-night stand.

One night, long ago, I was playing Beijing 2008 (and I've always been pretty good at those type of games) and I came across 3 black dudes (who had all just met each other that night too) who made it their business to defeat me. One was from Trinidad and the other 2 were from Tennessee. It was the best night ever. You remember the 3 black kids from Me, Myself and Irene? Exactly like hanging with those guys on XBL would be like. So here's me, a white, northern bloke from England who didn't meet any non-white person til I was about 15, and these 3 jive-talking funny men from thousands of miles away. The best night XBox Live has ever provided me, and they all said the same thing at various points. It made things all the better that the game sucked! The game suckage was a primary source of the comedy.

For me, things haven't been the same since they introduced party-chat.

I barely even play online modes, now. Just the occasional Co-Op. At least there you can get a sense of cameraderie.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35