to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Reality-switching XBLA game Contrast gets bewildering launch

Your comments on our articles.

Dreamy 1920s-set platform puzzler is out on Xbox Live Arcade tomorrow

Familiar with Contrast from Compulsion Games and Focus Home Interactive? You might recall it from my list of the nine most promising XBLA titles nobody's talking about, published in August. We haven't done a whole lot of talking about Contrast since then, it must be admitted, but all that changes today with the arrival of the launch trailer, below.... read more

Reality-switching XBLA game Contrast gets bewildering launch

Postby dfused » 14 Nov 2013, 15:15

This actually looks interesting, will wait for the review though
One and a half years have passed.. yet I'm still angry that my girlfriend wouldn't let me name our son Sonic
dfused 50

Re: Reality-switching XBLA game Contrast gets bewildering la

Postby Metalrodent » 14 Nov 2013, 16:06

Certainly looks interesting, though does look like it might be ones of those games you play for the plot and setting rather than gameplay
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby ChaoticP » 14 Nov 2013, 16:28

Looks great
ChaoticP 52

Postby TronZler » 14 Nov 2013, 16:47

Very pleasing on the eye,that art style! Is it 1080p at 60 frames?? (joke)
With it being an arcade title you'll hopefully get a trial of it,so will check it out.
TronZler 23

Postby bamozzy » 14 Nov 2013, 17:46

Agree it does look interesting... $14.99 usually equates to £9.99 here so I expect it will be that much

In general I am NOT interested in buying XBLA titles for the reasons I have mentioned many times about digital only downloads and the amount of gameplay/value/resale value they have. Quite a fewhave caught my eye in the past but lack of reviews - particularly here also put me off. I had hoped to see a review of Castlervania, How to Survive, Blood Knights etc as they all had something that had some interest. Because of the lack of information and reviews I do tend to leave them and maybe reconsider and hunt videos and reviews IF they crop up in a Deal of the Week. If they are ever Free, I download anyway as I have nothing to lose.

Just out of interest, why do so few Arcade titles get reviewed?
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Suffering withdrawal symptoms now the Destiny Beta has finished..... September 9th can't come quick enough!!!
bamozzy 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 Nov 2013, 23:09

bamozzy wrote:Agree it does look interesting... $14.99 usually equates to £9.99 here so I expect it will be that much

In general I am NOT interested in buying XBLA titles for the reasons I have mentioned many times about digital only downloads and the amount of gameplay/value/resale value they have. Quite a fewhave caught my eye in the past but lack of reviews - particularly here also put me off. I had hoped to see a review of Castlervania, How to Survive, Blood Knights etc as they all had something that had some interest. Because of the lack of information and reviews I do tend to leave them and maybe reconsider and hunt videos and reviews IF they crop up in a Deal of the Week. If they are ever Free, I download anyway as I have nothing to lose.

Just out of interest, why do so few Arcade titles get reviewed?

I'm sorry we don't have reviews for you of these games - they typically get a short review in the mag, which isn't really suitable for reproduction on the site (the wordcount is too short). I'd love to cover more of the indie/downloadable stuff, myself, but frankly, the (silent) majority of site readers simply aren't that interested, which makes it hard to justify given our limited manpower. That said, we could run some sort of review round-up after the Xbox One launch.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Metalrodent » 14 Nov 2013, 23:18

you could have a page compiling all the short reviews into 1 at the end of each month
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby OXM ETboy » 15 Nov 2013, 10:49

Metalrodent wrote:you could have a page compiling all the short reviews into 1 at the end of each month

'Tis a possibility. It's all slightly up in the air right now because the mag's just been redesigned, and we're trying to get the Bone's launch line-up reviewed.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby bamozzy » 15 Nov 2013, 13:42

OXM ETboy wrote:I'm sorry we don't have reviews for you of these games - they typically get a short review in the mag, which isn't really suitable for reproduction on the site (the wordcount is too short). I'd love to cover more of the indie/downloadable stuff, myself, but frankly, the (silent) majority of site readers simply aren't that interested, which makes it hard to justify given our limited manpower. That said, we could run some sort of review round-up after the Xbox One launch.

I understand that these games may not warrant a big review but I do find it somewhat surprising that some get a review and others don't. I had thought that Castlevania for example would have been reviewed as the series seems to generate a lot of interest and is from one of the bigger developers.

Maybe you could do a review round up of the months Arcade titles at the end of each month. This would no doubt fill a few pages and be of interest to a lot of readers. Also maybe you could do them in reverse order (in terms of ranking) to get to the best Arcade release of the month?? Maybe that would also generate more interest too.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Suffering withdrawal symptoms now the Destiny Beta has finished..... September 9th can't come quick enough!!!
bamozzy 65

Postby hazy33 » 16 Nov 2013, 22:36

This is the free game which replaces the delayed Drive Club on ps4.

Here's Gametrailers very thorough XBLA review: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/dqz ... ast-review

For what it's worth I highly recommend their reviews
hazy33 25