to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ryse: Son of Rome videos show off Rome, York and haunted swa

Your comments on our articles.

Crytek's latest "sets the bar for next-generation graphics on consoles"

I grew up near York, would you believe. Here are some things you probably won't find there, now that we've put the Roman Era thoroughly behind us: an inner city composed of enormous marble temples; a public access sewage system; armies of yowling, gore-crusted barbarians, waggling clubs at each other. Well, not unless there's a mock battle on. Say hello to another set of Ryse: Son of Rome videos, which offer whistle-stop tours of the game's York and Rome levels and a "haunted" swamp environment.... read more

Ryse: Son of Rome videos show off Rome, York and haunted swa

Postby Neil H » 14 Nov 2013, 16:16

Haunted swamp looks awesome!
Whatever doesn't kill me........had better start running
Neil H 22

Re: Ryse: Son of Rome videos show off Rome, York and haunted

Postby Plamsa wing » 14 Nov 2013, 16:25

Armies of yowling, gore-crusted barbarians, waggling clubs at each other. Well, not unless there's a mock battle on.

The Jorvik Viking Centre comes pretty close. :wink:

Edit: Really looking forward to this now, reminds of that Spartan: Total Warrior game in a way.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby TronZler » 14 Nov 2013, 16:45

Looking pretty sweet! I will have my vengeance,in this life or the next :wink:

When can we expect the review Ed?
TronZler 23

Postby Cyrus Hessey » 14 Nov 2013, 17:00

Maybe its just me but if you was to replace Rome with England and the Romans with English this shit is going down today.
Cyrus Hessey 2

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 14 Nov 2013, 17:23

the levels look graphically amazing, BUT at 0:40 on the youk trailer the rain lashes down from right to left, yet the flags are blowing from left to right..... probably me being a little anal, but its the little things that matter :lol:
Bubblebeard JS 39

Postby Twilight Error » 14 Nov 2013, 17:37

I wasn't sure about this one after its debut, but now that I've cancelled Dead Rising 3 in favor of Dying Light, I'm looking to Ryse as a possible launch-window replacement. The combat is the most off-putting thing about it at the moment (does't seem to flow very well), but I think these beautiful settings could help me get past whatever might be lacking in swordplay.
Twilight Error 42

Postby TurboForceXL » 14 Nov 2013, 18:00

RYSE is the best looking game I have ever seen. It really gives BF4 a run for it's money. I played that on Ultra 16x AA etc.. and it has nothing on ryse. I can't believe that it is running on a console! This game is amazing! :D
When life gives you Lemons, make Lemonade. What? Isn't that what you do with lemons?
TurboForceXL 24

Postby Skipstream » 14 Nov 2013, 19:06

Twilight Error wrote:I wasn't sure about this one after its debut, but now that I've cancelled Dead Rising 3 in favor of Dying Light, I'm looking to Ryse as a possible launch-window replacement. The combat is the most off-putting thing about it at the moment (does't seem to flow very well), but I think these beautiful settings could help me get past whatever might be lacking in swordplay.

Does Dying Light even have a release date yet? DR3 still looks great to me. As does Ryse.

For me it's DR3, Fifa 14 (free) and BF4 for next week. If I want something else I think I'll be downloading Ryse (as long as the don't want to rip us off with digital pricing!)
Skipstream 51

Postby Twilight Error » 14 Nov 2013, 20:26

Skipstream wrote:Does Dying Light even have a release date yet? DR3 still looks great to me. As does Ryse.

For me it's DR3, Fifa 14 (free) and BF4 for next week. If I want something else I think I'll be downloading Ryse (as long as the don't want to rip us off with digital pricing!)

Looks like Dying Light has a placeholder release of Q1 2014, but I'm sure that'll change. DR3 doesn't look bad at all, but it doesn't seem like a title I'd spend much time with. I started to doubt my day-one purchase after revisiting DR2 a few months ago. It just didn't feel like the experience I'm looking for.

But yea, I'm definitely taking another look at Ryse. I would prefer a smoother fighting system, as I don't really like the way it slows down to allow the player to activate a finishing move, but I'd deal with that to enjoy a good story and a well-designed setting. The historical backdrop should present an opportunity to tell a good story, and the videos above make the setting look very appealing. Might be the title that surprises me the most.
Twilight Error 42

Postby Skipstream » 14 Nov 2013, 21:24

Twilight Error wrote:
Skipstream wrote:Does Dying Light even have a release date yet? DR3 still looks great to me. As does Ryse.

Looks like Dying Light has a placeholder release of Q1 2014, but I'm sure that'll change. DR3 doesn't look bad at all, but it doesn't seem like a title I'd spend much time with. I started to doubt my day-one purchase after revisiting DR2 a few months ago. It just didn't feel like the experience I'm looking for.

But yea, I'm definitely taking another look at Ryse. I would prefer a smoother fighting system, as I don't really like the way it slows down to allow the player to activate a finishing move, but I'd deal with that to enjoy a good story and a well-designed setting. The historical backdrop should present an opportunity to tell a good story, and the videos above make the setting look very appealing. Might be the title that surprises me the most.

Yeah, the more I see of Ryse the more I'm thinking I may enjoy it more than DR3. I never really liked DR2 to be honest either but I thought DR3 looked like it could be played with a more horror/serious head on and I like that idea. I'm not worried about the frame rate thing etc as long as it still has a good story.

I can see my downloading Ryse though or, if I enjoy DR3 and it keeps me occupied, I can see me hopefully picking it up on disc at Blockbuster/Game 2nd hand once someone is bored of it!

Still, I like the idea of all my shiny toys being all there on day 1.
Skipstream 51

Postby dreamville » 14 Nov 2013, 21:29

Plamsa wing wrote:
Edit: Really looking forward to this now, reminds of that Spartan: Total Warrior game in a way.

Same here. One of the reasons I'm getting it. Missed games like that this gen.
dreamville 32

Postby leeboyopm » 14 Nov 2013, 23:50

IM same but with DR3 or AC4 but now ryse is in mix IM def getting BF4, ghost, forza 5, and getting FIFA free but can't decide on last three any idears
leeboyopm 34

Postby Pidgeman » 15 Nov 2013, 04:59

leeboyopm wrote:IM same but with DR3 or AC4 but now ryse is in mix IM def getting BF4, ghost, forza 5, and getting FIFA free but can't decide on last three any idears

If the choice is between DR3, AC4 and Ryse I'd go for AC4 first then Ryse and DR3 last.
Maybe it's just low bit rate uploads but every video I've seen for Dead Rising so far the graphics look awful.
Pidgeman 36

Postby leeboyopm » 15 Nov 2013, 09:17

I duno to many good games coming out on xbox at playstation buyers don't have to worry bout that lol lucky for for us we do I've been lucky with money this xbox launch and never been so exited only daughter being born beats only just lol ryse went from being a generic mash em up to arguably the best looking the best setting and the best story of all launch games one word EPIC a
leeboyopm 34

Postby mackered » 15 Nov 2013, 10:44

As one of the most vociferous of those pouring scorn on this in earlier times, I have to admit that it looks absolutely bloody amazing.

Anybody wanna buy a Forza download code?
Under levelled strikes are Destiny's way of showing you that you're not as good as you thought you were. GT - sorethumbed
mackered 57

Next