to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Free Xbox games: Iron Brigade now free to download for Gold

Your comments on our articles.

Double Fine mechs its way to the Games with Gold scheme

It's the 16th of the month, which can only mean it's time for the latest Games with Gold to make itself available for all Xbox Live Gold subscribers at absolutely no charge. If you like big stompy robots, WW2-themed science fiction and that Double Fine sense of humour, you're in for a treat, as the latest title is 2011's Iron Brigade.... read more

Free Xbox games: Iron Brigade now free to download for Gold

Postby bamozzy » 16 Nov 2013, 13:43

Will certainly be downloading this. I remember hearing about it prior to its release and reading the blurb but It didn't quite sound worthy of its release points to me. I nearly bought it in a sale a few months back but again opted not to.

I happened to see a video on youtube of a walkthrough of the first coulple of levels and wished I had bought it. Fortunately now I get to download it for free. After watching the videos, the description really doesn't seem to do it justice. Whilst at heart it may be just a form of tower defence game with a bit of mech shooting, it does seem a lot more fun than that.

Definitely downloading this!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Suffering withdrawal symptoms now the Destiny Beta has finished..... September 9th can't come quick enough!!!
bamozzy 66

Re: Free Xbox games: Iron Brigade now free to download for G

Postby PCG The_B » 16 Nov 2013, 14:19

I think it's pretty awesome myself - got it on release and enjoyed it a lot. Only downside at the time was that not a lot of people were playing co-op.

I would say though that the tower defence feels a fairly small part, relatively speaking. You can definitely feel the influence from Brutal Legend in terms of trying to mix genres, but I'd argue it works a lot better than that game did. Definitely worth picking up for free, no question and I'd argue one of the best Arcade offerings in the GWG promotion yet.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby SilentDark » 16 Nov 2013, 14:21

This is certainly a different take on the Tower Defense genre. I'm actually quite pleased with this.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
SilentDark 65

Postby TheElderMan » 16 Nov 2013, 14:54

I'm enjoying the single player, but can't work out multiplayer. I can get 4 player' although only one is visible running around the ship. I can select a mission, get a 60 second timer, and then....nothing. We just all hang around saluting.

Anyone tell me how to get the mission to start?

Oh, one of the other players had a blue tick, but there was no clear 'confirm ready' button.
TheElderMan 19

Postby KernowDevil23 » 16 Nov 2013, 19:45

bamozzy wrote:Maybe The moderators/OXM team can just delete ALL the comments that are NOT related to this particular article

Done.

Anymore comments not directly answering the topic will be deleted.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby msbhvn » 16 Nov 2013, 19:59

That's much better, Kernow. :lol:

I love Double Fine's humour, so I'll be downloading this. The only reason I haven't tried it before is that I'm not much of a fan of tower defence. That said, I've still got Stacking and Costume Quest to play. :oops:
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby SilentDark » 16 Nov 2013, 21:39

It doesn't really feel like a tower defence game. It's more like a third person shooter with tower defence elements.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.
SilentDark 65

Postby Abe hikura » 16 Nov 2013, 22:24

Finally a game I don't have lol
Abe hikura 53

Postby dfused » 16 Nov 2013, 22:28

Gonna download this tonight, i really enjoyed double fines brutal legend, and i absolutely loved costume quest so im sure i will like this
One and a half years have passed.. yet I'm still angry that my girlfriend wouldn't let me name our son Sonic
dfused 51

Postby Maximus T » 16 Nov 2013, 23:47

Played a bit of this today. It has a nice war style of menus, story so far is rather basic. There looks to be decent scope for mech upgrading, but the gameplay feels quite monotonous, and the one environment I have played on is quite bland. Enemy types are (double) fine, but they look like monsters I would have drawn.
The sense of humour is good, and there is a choice of characters. Some quick deduction allowed me to choose the English guy. So far I will rate it as "meh" about 6/10. I will keep playing it for a bit, see if it improves.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 69

Postby captainhetty » 17 Nov 2013, 08:42

msbhvn wrote:That's much better, Kernow. :lol:

I love Double Fine's humour, so I'll be downloading this. The only reason I haven't tried it before is that I'm not much of a fan of tower defence. That said, I've still got Stacking and Costume Quest to play. :oops:

Costume Quest is so much fun to play, it's really enjoyable. I picked it up when it was 50% off and was so glad I did.

Anyways, stuck this on my download list last night, will give it a whirl today if I can drag myself away from FFXIV long enough :lol:
"Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets, it's going to be a Crumpocalypse."
PSN - captain_hetty
captainhetty 59

Postby Pidgeman » 17 Nov 2013, 09:10

captainhetty wrote:
msbhvn wrote:That's much better, Kernow. :lol:

Costume Quest is so much fun to play, it's really enjoyable. I picked it up when it was 50% off and was so glad I did.

Anyways, stuck this on my download list last night, will give it a whirl today if I can drag myself away from FFXIV long enough :lol:

I have to agree about Costume Quest. It's my favorite Xbox live arcade title ever. Hope this loves up to it.
Pidgeman 36

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Nov 2013, 09:16

I actually preferred Stacking to Costume Quest, something about the play style appealed more. Maybe it's just that I'm not really a JRPG fan so the turn based combat put me off. Haven't played Iron Brigade yet so def downloading this.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby something fishy » 17 Nov 2013, 17:52

Thanks for the heads up.

Son has been playing and really likes it.
something fishy 32

Postby Baryonyx » 18 Nov 2013, 13:59

I'm not usually one to complain about a freebie, but this is bloody crap.
Baryonyx 42