to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ex-Starbreeze dev: "Riddick was a shitty IP"

Your comments on our articles.

"And The Darkness was even worse"

A former Game Director at Chronicles of Riddick developer Starbreeze Studios has described the Vin Diesel franchise as a "shitty IP" that nevertheless had potential.... read more

Ex-Starbreeze dev: "Riddick was a shitty IP"

Postby User removed » 12 Nov 2009, 20:32

Whaaaaaaat?
So he's saying the games from Starbreeze were shit yet good? :?
Also he's going to make a AAA Bioshock clone...
I'm so confused
User removed

Postby fedris the red » 13 Nov 2009, 00:18

I haven't experienced the updated Riddick but I played it and enjoyed it on the original Xbox and I loved The Darkness.

I'm guessing they interviewed this chappie after a night on the tiles and he later went on to say how black was in fact white, cats were dogs, then after triumphantly exclaiming Betamax stole his virginity he collapsed into a heap on the floor.
fedris the red 18

Postby OXM Jonty » 13 Nov 2009, 02:54

He's saying the brands were awful but the games were good; Chronicles of Riddick was an awful film, but the game was awesome.

And that's absolutely Starbreeze's strength. That studio could turn Hollyoaks into a credible action game.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Nov 2009, 09:50

As Jonty said the guy is saying it is possible to make great games from bad ideas. The Darkness is an amazing game, but I wouldn't use the comic as toilet paper it's so bad. Ditto for Riddick, great game (although I still think FPS isn't the best medium for stealth) but the film was pants.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Jensonjet » 13 Nov 2009, 10:56

This guy comes across like a sad little bitter man. Regardless of the source material, if the games sell reasonably well and more importantly the games are good, then who cares?

As a movie fan and gamer, I'm much more delighted to play a great game. Movies on the whole are utter sh*te... actors and directors will do anything for the money, and the industry pumps out films without a care for them. I guess you could say the same about games, but I'm convinced there's more passion involved and more at stake in the games industry.

I happen to like the Riddick games and movies, and although I'd never heard of The Darkness, I loved this game too. Personally I think Starbreeze are one of the better developers. Ex-employees ought to keep their pathetic mouths shut and if they feel they can do better then we, the gamers, the people who finance this industry, will decide.
Jensonjet 47

Postby ItchyRash » 13 Nov 2009, 11:22

What is it with people being unable to read properly. Read the article first then comment. I suggest if your finding it difficult to work out what he's saying then perhaps read through twice and ask mummy and daddy to explain. You've even had OXM staff trying to explain it to you.

He isn't a bitter ex employee badmouthing the games, saying they were shit. He's clearly saying we made two really good games out of pretty poor source materiel. He says nothing bad about either game or Starbreeze on a whole and only states that he has faith in his new team to create an amazing AAA title. Whats wrong with that. Rather they try and make a AAA title and fall short than decide to pump out generic rubbish just to line their pockets. I swear some people must just read the headline, jump to a conlusion and then have a little moan. I also notice none of them have so far come back to the forum probably after reading the article and realising that they were perhaps a bit hasty.

On the topic of a Hollyoaks game I can think of nothing more entertaining than substituting the cast in for the zombies in Left 4 Dead. I also like the idea of a Marvel Vs. Capcom-esque Hollyoaks Vs. Eastenders. Get on it Starbreeze
ItchyRash 42

Postby BenShaffer » 13 Nov 2009, 14:42

Starbreeze first got my attention with Enclave for the original Xbox. Though it had some flaws, I thought the game was phenomenal. They've done quality work since then, but they have my respect and admiration because of Enclave. Great visuals (at the time), great music and sound, captivating story, nice RPG elements, and simply fun to play. It's the sole reason I've kept my old Xbox. I would love for them to make sequel, or at least make it compatible with the 360.
BenShaffer 1

Postby User removed » 13 Nov 2009, 20:28

ItchyRash wrote:What is it with people being unable to read properly. Read the article first then comment. I suggest if your finding it difficult to work out what he's saying then perhaps read through twice and ask mummy and daddy to explain. You've even had OXM staff trying to explain it to you.

Well excuse me for misunderstanding one article Mr. Perfect :roll:
User removed

Postby ItchyRash » 13 Nov 2009, 22:15

Spiderless wrote:
ItchyRash wrote:What is it with people being unable to read properly. Read the article first then comment. I suggest if your finding it difficult to work out what he's saying then perhaps read through twice and ask mummy and daddy to explain. You've even had OXM staff trying to explain it to you.

Well excuse me for misunderstanding one article Mr. Perfect :roll:

It's not even that you misunderstood it. Be honest. You read the headline, jumped to conlusions and decide to complain. I'm not after perfection just common sense
ItchyRash 42

Postby User removed » 14 Nov 2009, 20:46

I read the whole thing and was still confused, my fault for not understanding the IP part.
User removed